This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8057 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 19:42
OK - I admit it, I forgot to write one or two TR's from recent flights, but in absence of these (for now...), I thought I might put one observation up for debate.

Last month, I was on the VS20 returning home, in my normal seat upstairs. (Sat next to a very jolly guy, who was a senior person @ Jelly Belly [y]:D)

Anyway, the FSM did the rounds of the J cabin, introducing himself, and presenting Carlos (didn't need yet another copy!) to all Upper Class passengers. Nothing unusual, nice service. [y]

But here's the weird bit - unprompted, the CSS then approached me, in isolation (it was a full cabin upstairs, so another 9 passengers were around). He introduced himself, refering to me by name - thanking me for travelling, and how it was "great to see me onboard".

This had two effects:

1) I felt it was a really nice touch, and frankly, felt a bit special - but couldn't work out why it was only me he approached.

2) Other members of the cabin seemed to start attempting to work out who I was. (Was I someone famous/important? - no, by the way, on both counts ;))

Has this happened to anyone else before? Who are they singling out?
#78298 by Decker
24 Sep 2005, 19:46
Au?
#78299 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 19:47
Originally posted by Decker
Au?
Initially thought that, but the guy in 2K was, too...
#78300 by Kryten
24 Sep 2005, 19:48
Originally posted by Decker
Au?

Possibly, I've had this a few times recently even travelling in W!

EDIT: Obviously not! Maybe a fan of your posts :D
#78302 by mitchja
24 Sep 2005, 19:54
Excellent Paul :)

I've not experienced this as such, however, on my last couple of J flights on VS I've been recognized by the cabin crew which was nice.

Another thought - maybe the CSS knew you where a V-Flyer [?]

Regards
#78330 by slinky09
24 Sep 2005, 21:34
It does happen ... suspect that it's a mix of familiarity, famousness, status, etc. Some of the FSMs just simply remember too.

I'll let you work out which one applies to me! But the first time that happened to me was after 911, returned from LAX in UC then flew to JFK 2 days later and seemed to have the same crew.
#78340 by jaguarpig
24 Sep 2005, 23:07
CSS had a word with us on last trip out as far as I could see we were the only ones, think it was because we were both AU as she did comment on it in conversation.It's a very nice touch for us plebs:D
#78341 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 23:09
To be honest, although I appreciate the FSM "doing the rounds", the CSS' visit really made it a lot more "special".

We know the FSM has it in their procedures to greet every passenger - this CSS went out of their way to see me. If it's the case that it's for all Au's, they missed one or two on the upper deck ;), but regardless, it was a nice touch.

[y]
#78343 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 23:14
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Maybe he thought you were hot?
Now trying to remember what he looked like... [:p]

(For clarification - joking...!)
#78379 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 10:36
Originally posted by preiffer
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Maybe he thought you were hot?
Now trying to remember what he looked like... [:p]

(For clarification - joking...!)

I was going to say maybe he is on here,the wife thought the same as GJ!

Time to embarass Paul for those of you that havn't had the pleasure f meeting him,im as straight as they come,but if I wa a woman I would want him to have my kids :D
#78382 by Littlejohn
25 Sep 2005, 10:46
I have a sneaking feeling that the cabin crew are getting some pretty detailed customer bios. I had a similar thing with the FSS singling me out because I was one of their most frequents on the LHR PVG route. I have also been picked up in the clubhouse as a vflyer: could either have been the luggage tag, or (and I suspect this is the case) they have tied me up from my common login name on v-f.com and VS.com.

Of course, this is all inference and supposition. Maybe as a prev poster said, you are just an attractive guy. I asked the rear admiral to have a look at your pic, but she said she couldn't be sure, especially as it looks like another person on top of you has been airbrushed out of the picture.

#78387 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 11:06
Originally posted by sailor99
I asked the rear admiral to have a look at your pic, but she said she couldn't be sure, especially as it looks like another person on top of you has been airbrushed out of the picture.

Yes Paul the wife is still waiting LMAO...

It may just of been that he remember'd you from other flights,I know the crew's started to be alot more out going with me after a couple of months of doing the LAX-LHR run everyother week.
#78389 by preiffer
25 Sep 2005, 11:27
...especially as it looks like another person on top of you has been airbrushed out of the picture.
Umm... where?!

Dave... Well, Dave... ;)[:p]
#78390 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 11:29
...especially as it looks like another person on top of you has been airbrushed out of the picture.
Umm... where?!

Dave... Well, Dave... ;)[:p]

LMFAO
#78391 by LukeW
25 Sep 2005, 11:44
Once, returning from LAX, we were in 75 A and C (PE, front row by the door) when the dispatcher walked down from the top deck to leave the aircraft but stopped by us and said, ÒHello Mr and Mrs Warmwater, are you alright there? We chose these seats for you because youÕre both tall (IÕm 6Õ6Ó, Sophie is 6Õ)Ó. And then she was gone, leaving us stunned that sheÕd been able to recall our names without reference to notes and had had a record that we were tall. At that time, I was Au, Sophie was Ag.

On the way out from LHR, IÕd asked for and been given the exit row upstairs to give us more legroom (although in fact we were op-upped at the gate). Would our heights have been noted in the PNR?

Luke
#78394 by Littlejohn
25 Sep 2005, 11:55
Umm... where?!

In between the camara and you, rather closer to you than the camara. Use your imagination;)[}:)]

#78396 by preiffer
25 Sep 2005, 12:03
In between the camara and you, rather closer to you than the camara. Use your imagination;)[}:)]
Oh dear... [:p]

(At 180mph, there's none of that going on, I can promise you ;))
#78402 by NYCFlyer
25 Sep 2005, 12:22
It is such a nice touch and one that makes me sit up and take notice when it happens.

Outbound to SFO earlier this month the FSM welcomed me 'back on board' by name and I was most impressed. I think she was in fact speaking to all UC pax but using my name made it special. Totally different scenario on the return (TR TBA - sorry), no introduction and when I said "hi, how are you?" to the FSM as he passed the bar I got the one word response "busy!". Possibly too busy to give a polite reply it seemed to me! Maybe there were so many Au's on that flight he didn't have the time.

Graham
#78407 by southernbelle
25 Sep 2005, 13:04
Forgive me for being stupid but what is AU and Ag and all this????

I haven't a clue [:I]

FSM gets a print out with all customers name in Premium and Upper and their flying club status. Top 50 flyers will also have a Uniq information sheet. That's pretty much the only brief we get.
#78408 by preiffer
25 Sep 2005, 13:11
Originally posted by southernbelle

I haven't a clue [:I]
Hi southerbelle, no probs [y]

If you hover your mouse pointer over the words Au and Ag, you'll find it pops an explanation up (you can do this with any underlined abbreviation ;))

Au = FC Gold
Ag = FC Silver
#78426 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 16:05
Originally posted by southernbelle

it's from the periodic table of elements AU being gold # 79 on the table..Ag would be silver #47 on the table...Mr Clements would be so proud that I still remember that...
#78431 by robandgill
25 Sep 2005, 16:14
it's from the periodic table of elements AU being gold # 79 on the table..Ag would be silver #47 on the table...Mr Clements would be so proud that I still remember that...

derived from the latin for :

silver (Argentum)
gold (Aurum)

:D

robert
#78482 by mcmbenjamin
26 Sep 2005, 03:00
Originally posted by mitchja

Maybe I was seeing things but on my last flight from LHR to JFK I saw a list that had passenager names with comments like "CEO Coke-Cola," "VP Marketing Tesco." And there was my name with what looked like V-Flyer.

Has anyone else seen something of this?

Benjamin
#78488 by Littlejohn
26 Sep 2005, 09:52
I have not seen list like this. But I have been chatting at the bar and mentioned my job. The response was "oh yeh" as if they knew already, and they even asked for an application form to go on one of our events (long distance yacht races). Interestingly the person applied a couple of weeks ago, so they obviously have the travel bug!

#78491 by sky
26 Sep 2005, 10:25
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Originally posted by mitchja

Maybe I was seeing things but on my last flight from LHR to JFK I saw a list that had passenager names with comments like "CEO Coke-Cola," "VP Marketing Tesco." And there was my name with what looked like V-Flyer.

Has anyone else seen something of this?

Benjamin

I wouldn't be surprised, it is just an extension of a CIP flag, last time I flew from SFO the agent asked me what the MOD was because he had a MOD comittee flying and he didn't know what it was.

A travel agent can put it in more details about you, and then no doubt the frequent flyer database can feed the passenger manifest.

Cheers
sky

ps. sitting at LGW watching airplanes take off is fun!
Virgin Atlantic