This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8085 by rwheatla
27 Sep 2005, 05:16
It would seem that VS are stopping the code share LHR-KUL and KUL-SYD code share flights with MH from the end of October.

I'm living in Kuala Lumpur at the moment and regular travelling on the code share to London.

My agent contacted VS in KL and they confirmed that the flights are stopping and are awaiting direction from VS in London.

I have also noticed that the flights are removed from the website.

I'm surprised that I've not seen anything official from VS or anything posted on here.

I'll be most disappointed if this has finished

Does anybody have any news on this?
#78586 by mike-smashing
27 Sep 2005, 08:29
Originally posted by rwheatla
It would seem that VS are stopping the code share LHR-KUL and KUL-SYD code share flights with MH from the end of October.

The code share seemed to primarily be VS' way of reaching SYD from LHR. Now VS have their own flight to SYD, there isn't any need for a codeshare.

I'm sure that Malaysian will continue to operate the route beyond the suspension of the codeshare - I guess that the flights won't be "stopping" - they will continue to operate with their MH flight numbers.

If you're happy with the MH service, then why not keep flying MH?

Mike
#78588 by djuluvmee
27 Sep 2005, 09:03
As I understand it, this was only a ten year agreement when the codeshare first started in 1995 between VS and MH
#78589 by rwheatla
27 Sep 2005, 09:19
I will keep flying MH because their service is very good and they are th eonly direct connection from from LHR-KUL.

On a VS ticket not only do you earn more tier points and mileage then on MH but as a gold card holder you can use the clubhouse and revivals at LHR.

Oh well........
#78617 by Jonathan
27 Sep 2005, 13:14
Shame, as I never tried the MA VS Codeshare..

Well I'll have to keep using LHR-KUL via SIN on SQ
#78625 by ellie
27 Sep 2005, 15:15
We are flying with Malaysian Airlines from Manchester to Adelaide via Kuala Lumpa, have never flown with them before does anyone have any comments about them?

Thanks
Ellie:)
#78628 by mike-smashing
27 Sep 2005, 15:28
On a VS ticket not only do you earn more tier points and mileage then on MH but as a gold card holder you can use the clubhouse and revivals at LHR.

Ah, there had to be an upside... I've never used the Malaysian Golden Lounges, so I can't compare them to the VS clubhouse ;).

Cheers,
Mike
#78648 by kkempton
27 Sep 2005, 19:47
Didnt I hear on here somewhere that VS were planning a route to KUL and then onwards to oz? Or am i going crazy
#78652 by kenpank
27 Sep 2005, 20:21
Flew with Malaysian Airlines in economy from LHR to KUL. We had good service from the cabin staff with drinks being offered all the time during the 12 hour flight. The best part is 34" seat pitch. As it was a discounted ticket I received 70% of the total miles and 2 tier points each way. I think during this year the 747-400s are being refitted in economy with AVOD. Will be flying them again next March to Penang
#78896 by rwheatla
29 Sep 2005, 13:03
Today I read in the local Malaysian paper that some UK carriers inc VS are considering flying to Malaysia. I wonder if the codeshare issue is related.

Link to full story.

BY B.K. SIDHU IN COPENHAGEN

THREE British carriers - British Airways (BA), Virgin Atlantic and British Midlands - have Malaysia on their radar screens but the issue that is holding them back is yields..............

Edit by Mod to shorten link and remove copyrighted article..... Nick
#78947 by RichardMannion
29 Sep 2005, 17:04
Today I read in the local Malaysian paper that some UK carriers inc VS are considering flying to Malaysia. I wonder if the codeshare issue is related.

I was just about to post and say that too. Read that article today whislt having a lovely Frappucino in the shopping mall at the Petronas Towers. Interesting read, if it is going to happen I would say it would be late 2006 at the earliest.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic