This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8182 by NYCFlyer
02 Oct 2005, 10:47
Despite our concerns at the VS product and 'cutbacks', Jeremy Clarkson has devoted his whole column in this weeks Sunday Times to his recent VS UCS flight to San Francisco(He was there in 9A as I sat in 9K!!). Delivered in his typical style complete with a few embelishments, it does reflect pretty well on the UCS product.

Wierdest was reading some of the things he had already been talking about at the bar!

Click here for story

As someone who is not a fan of BA I enjoyed his rather blunt comments about them!!!

{preiffer : edited to shorten link}
#79293 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 10:55
Love this comment:

ThatÕs weird. Normally two similarly priced products designed to do the same sort of thing are roughly the same. A Ford is much the same as a Vauxhall. Evian is pretty much the same as what comes out of your tap. But the gap between Virgin and BA is planetary. And we hadnÕt even got on the plane yet...

...So there we are. Finally IÕve found something wrong with British Airways. TheyÕre not good enough.

[y][y]

I do like the fact that he still managed to get a dig in though...!
And now itÕs time to put a superbug in BeardyÕs omelette with a question. If you can make your airline even better than the best airline in the world, how come your trains are such rubbish?
I wonder how long it'll take for the BA boys on FT to pick up on it ;)[}:)]
#79294 by Nottingham Nick
02 Oct 2005, 10:57
Very funny article. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?

Won't do VS any harm though ;)

Nick
#79295 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 10:59
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Won't do VS any harm though ;)
Or, indeed, Mr Clarkson...

"Free flight to anywhere in the world, Jeremy?" I wonder... [}:)][:0]
#79297 by Nottingham Nick
02 Oct 2005, 11:21
Originally posted by preiffer

"Free flight to anywhere in the world, Jeremy?" I wonder... [}:)][:0]

I have never worked in advertising, but I would think that he fits Virgin's demographic perfectly. High profile, speaks his mind, very popular with wealthy 'petrol heads' who have lots of spare cash and like to spend it on 'high end' products.

A refusal to wear suits. and a willingness to slag off the opposition won't hurt either. ;)[}:)]

Nick
#79300 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 11:27
I have never worked in advertising, but I would think that he fits Virgin's demographic perfectly. High profile, speaks his mind, very popular with wealthy 'petrol heads' who have lots of spare cash and like to spend it on 'high end' products.
I'm with you on that one. Bit scruffy round the edges, manages to almost deny his middle-class upbringing, AND his mother invented Paddington Bear :D;)

... for those that don't have a clue who we're talking about!
#79302 by philadam
02 Oct 2005, 11:54
NYCFlyer, thanks for posting this link. A very enjoyable read and good to see he so obviously approved. And did you notice? All that marketing from Virgin about the suites and he didn't mention them once! :)

Phil
#79303 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 11:59
Indeed - but he did notice that v:port isn't the most reliable of systems!

I couldn't resist - I wonder what the BA boys thought of it... [:p][}:)]
#79304 by NYCFlyer
02 Oct 2005, 12:23
Having been there at the bar as the comments came out of the horses mouth as it were, he was clearly very impressed with everything about the VS (and UCS) product. Good to see it in print though.

Sorry to the non-UK people, I forgot to mention who Clarkson is. Thanks for correcting that with the link preiffer.

Graham
#79315 by db1
02 Oct 2005, 15:04
wow, its makes you kind of proud to read it.....is that strange?

Can someone post a topic regarding it on A.net noticed a couple of VS bashing threads this week be good to get this on there see the anti-virgin try and spin it in some strange way.
#79317 by Richard28
02 Oct 2005, 16:00
Originally posted by db1

Can someone post a topic regarding it on A.net noticed a couple of VS bashing threads this week be good to get this on there see the anti-virgin try and spin it in some strange way.

Done!

a/net thread is here!
#79318 by andrew.m.wright
02 Oct 2005, 16:04

A refusal to wear suits. and a willingness to slag off the opposition won't hurt either. ;)[}:)]

Nick

Take it from one who does work in advertising that he fits their demographic perfectly. In fact I would go as far as too say that he's an advertisers dream.
#79322 by Littlejohn
02 Oct 2005, 17:34
Originally posted by preiffer

"Free flight to anywhere in the world, Jeremy?"

Thanks Paul, don't mind if I do.

Jeremy

(PS I was really disappointed to find that, despite the title, this thread was not about the new sponsorship deal VS had done with songs of praise - now that would be a thing to see!)
#79330 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 18:46
You've gotta love the Internet!

So, after posting the link to the article on the BA board of FT, a whole 5 hours later, a link to the link to the link has now been posted onto the VS board of FT - here!

How long until someone from FT brings a link to the link to the link to the link onto here as a new topic, I wonder ;)
#79342 by Littlejohn
02 Oct 2005, 20:13
Well you may find this thread on the subject interesting.

Sorry in advance, I couldn't resist, what with it being a boring Sunday evening and all.
#79378 by NYCFlyer
03 Oct 2005, 01:15
Ha ha :D

That was a boring Sunday eve to do that!!! I thought i was chasing my tail for a mo there.
#79390 by Bazz
03 Oct 2005, 10:00
Anyone notice SRB advert for Samsonite luggage, complete with a picture of Global Flyer and a quote from himself? I think it was in either Style or the Magazine.

Pic of him with his foot resting on a piece of the luggage didn't look quite right to me, almost as if it could have been a double, or maybe I had just had one double too many? :D
#79461 by honey lamb
03 Oct 2005, 19:59
Originally posted by Bazz
Anyone notice SRB advert for Samsonite luggage, complete with a picture of Global Flyer and a quote from himself? I think it was in either Style or the Magazine.

Pic of him with his foot resting on a piece of the luggage didn't look quite right to me, almost as if it could have been a double, or maybe I had just had one double too many? :D

Yup! I saw it too and like you didn't think it looked like him. There was a footnote that said his fee would be going to the Virgin Unite charity
#79466 by db1
03 Oct 2005, 20:45
Originally posted by db1

As I said in my earlier post it's so predictable how anti-Virgin a.netters will respond, evident in the thread Richard started on a.net.
#79469 by preiffer
03 Oct 2005, 21:02
Originally posted by db1
As I said in my earlier post it's so predictable how anti-Virgin a.netters will respond, evident in the thread Richard started on a.net.
To be fair, though - there's only one person ("BCAL") that seems to disagree with the article. The other opinions seem either balanced, or pro-VS. [:0]
#79475 by HighFlyer
03 Oct 2005, 21:39
Great find there!

I adore Jeremy Clarksons journalistic talent and that sure was an entertaining read :D:D
#79554 by G-VOPS
04 Oct 2005, 11:48
I think it's a great article but then I do like JK. Internal Comms posted it on the Intranet but sadly many people have taken offence to some of the wording and it's causing quite a debate on the staff forums.
#79559 by Nottingham Nick
04 Oct 2005, 12:19
Originally posted by G-VOPS
but sadly many people have taken offence to some of the wording and it's causing quite a debate on the staff forums.

That isn't surprising, he doesn't go out of his way to make himself popular with crew in the article, does he?

Nick
Virgin Atlantic