This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8197 by DylanDog
02 Oct 2005, 23:51
I know this must have been asked in the past but couldn't find anything.....

If you wanted to maximise the Virgin Upper class experience ( for a once in a lifetime trip ) which route would you take ( ignoring destination )

I assume UCS is a given but what about LHR v LGW, 747 v 340, destination airport lounge, time in the air,IFE,IFBT,GNF etc.etc.

DD
#79367 by preiffer
02 Oct 2005, 23:57
San Francisco, for me, every time:

LHR 747-400 (with upper deck [y])
Decent outbound and inbound departure times
Long enough to make use of the facilities onboard (NO GNF!)
Long enough to be able to sleep for a reasonable amount coming home
Usually get an inflight massage
Usually v:port
EXCELLENT CH in SFO
Outbound: downstairs, bar, lots of different people to chat with
Inbound: upstairs, quiet cabin, 7-8 hours pure sleep
Revivals on "re-entry"

Oh yeah - and the destination's very cool, too ;)
#79369 by ChuckC
03 Oct 2005, 00:20
Dylan,
Very good thread. Nice one! For me I very much enjoyed VS7, LHR-LAX. In a 747-400 it's hard to beat. In an Airbus, well, we shall see. Others have flown it in the A340; you can see some of their comments in the TRs.

Originally posted by preiffer

EXCELLENT CH in SFO
Revivals on "re-entry"

Paul,Which must mean that you are really looking forward to VS20 on 12 Nov?

Chuck-
#79370 by preiffer
03 Oct 2005, 00:27
Originally posted by ChuckC
Paul,Which must mean that you are really looking forward to VS20 on 12 Nov?

Chuck-
Ohhh yes!

Although, since I don't have to go straight into work after landing (what with it being a Sunday 'n all), I'm joining the rest of the boys downstairs on the inbound for a change. I'm guessing that my sleep time may be compromised by the lure of the bar...
#79372 by sky
03 Oct 2005, 00:28

EXCELLENT CH in SFO
Revivals on "re-entry"

I agree completely [y][y][y][^]:D!

I wouldn't mind if it was an hour longer though :), I always sleep in both directions for 5-6 hours there and 7-8 back!

However for once in a lifetime, for slightly more than the price you pay to get a UCS to SFO you can get a SQ/VS/AZ RTW ticket which would give you a few more UCS experiences?

Cheers
sky
#79374 by sky
03 Oct 2005, 00:32
Although, since I don't have to go straight into work after landing (what with it being a Sunday 'n all), I'm joining the rest of the boys downstairs on the inbound for a change. I'm guessing that my sleep time may be compromised by the lure of the bar...

It is quite amazing with how functioning I am after VS020, people in the office find it hard to believe I just came in from SFO.

Cheers
sky
#79375 by honey lamb
03 Oct 2005, 00:37
Well I haven't flown east on a VS flight and my flights to JNB were in Econ and PE (before I discovered the delights of UC) but I have to agree with preiffer for all the same reasons even though I prefer being downstairs and I didn't sleep on my last flight back from SFO
#79380 by slinky09
03 Oct 2005, 02:07

EXCELLENT CH in SFO
Revivals on "re-entry"

Another vote from me! Just makes me smile thinking about going to SFO, and would add:

usually meet some very interesting people, with a nice mix
time enough to catch up on work if need to as well as relax

Way cool!
#79393 by Milliemoo
03 Oct 2005, 10:08
Originally posted by DylanDog

If you wanted to maximise the Virgin Upper class experience ( for a once in a lifetime trip ) which route would you take ( ignoring destination )

DD

If your talking about maximising the VS UC experience, surely there's only one contender ......... The Great Escapade Fare! [8D] or is that cheating? That way you can incorporate a number of the 'best routes' but for is undoubtedly the best value UC fare going :D

Milliemoo
#79404 by Bazz
03 Oct 2005, 12:13
I would also have to agree with Paul, Excellent CH's at both ends, 744 and a great destination to boot, what more can you ask for? [8D]
#79405 by RichardMannion
03 Oct 2005, 12:20
Having just completed the HKG route in UCS both ways, I'd like to throw that in as a contender too. A346, Vport, plenty of time to make use of the full E2E UC experience.

I will concur abotu the 19/20 though...

Thanks,
Richard
#79434 by Howard Long
03 Oct 2005, 16:58
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Having just completed the HKG route in UCS both ways, I'd like to throw that in as a contender too. A346, Vport, plenty of time to make use of the full E2E UC experience.

Or, carry on all the way through to SYD maybe... two chances of a massage each way, and three CH experiences (plus the rather less exciting AirNZ lounge in Sydney). Downside is that security, immigration and transfer at SYD are a letdown after all that pampering. I highly recommend taking a spare set of comfy clothes and taking advantage of the shower at the HKG CH in both directions. Transfer at the stop at HKG is a breeze in my experience.

Cheers, Howard
#79468 by P-L-U
03 Oct 2005, 20:50
Oh yeah, SFO - I couldn't agree more. Nice long flight which gives plenty of time to try out all the goodies on board during the outbound, and to get a good sleep on the inbound home. Can't wait for my next trip there in a few weeks time in Upper Class :D.
Virgin Atlantic