This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#80230 by preiffer
08 Oct 2005, 19:44
For reference, here's the previous thread.

Umm... They've offered to provide a free upgrade to you, and your entire family, because the FSM didn't respond and another family were given exceptional treatment? Crikey - that letter must have laid it on a bit thick... ;)[:0]

Since this thread relates to the response, and not the action (and the old contained some "interesting" posts at the end), I'll lock the previous topic and leave this open.
#80240 by kkempton
08 Oct 2005, 20:51
Once again , Virgin show their true colours. Good show VS!
#80241 by Scrooge
08 Oct 2005, 21:01
Wow,not a responce I would of expected from VS,way to go.
#80243 by preiffer
08 Oct 2005, 21:08
As Dave said - it's beyond expectations, that's for sure. Top marks, VS [y]
#80244 by webdes03
08 Oct 2005, 21:10
Wish I'd have gotten that type of response from VS with my last complaint (when they double charged me for a PE upgrade). Instead I got a letter from the refund department saying they were reviewing my case, and "if a refund is due they would notify us". Been almost 2 months, no reply... a little dissapointing...

The phone agent gave us a price for the whole record, then he didn't do the transaction correctly over the phone... the airport then charged us that price per person. I would have at least liked a letter saying if they'd finished the review, or at least some miles for the hassle. VS kinda left me hanging on this one...

Oh well, I'm still off to LHR with them on VS2 Nov 1st!
#80246 by VS045
08 Oct 2005, 22:15
That's way better than the 10k reply i would have expected![y][y]

Cheers,
VS045
#80252 by JAT74L
08 Oct 2005, 22:33
I got no choice of food recently in PE and got a letter saying they didn't even know the reason why but didn't get 10k. Maybe they've given up on the old 10k fob offs and are now going for just plain fob offs.

Regards

John
#80345 by easygoingeezer
10 Oct 2005, 12:33
Good to read you got a good conclusion to your grievance and glad you wrote to them to get it sorted.

Will you be sending the VA office a bumper bag of M&M's for Chrimbo now;):D
#80347 by hamishbrown
10 Oct 2005, 13:25
well done VS for helping out 747340 [y]

so - what does this mean for travellers with 'genuine' complaints...

i recently experienced a major dissaster when flying UC with VS (VS computer systems [n]) - but i would not embarrass myself or VS by posting my problems on a forum.

who cares - as nottingham nick said in the previous thread "life is too short..."

people with all these problems, saying that they are going to complain about a bit of a 'service' or a 'meal' problem should look foward to the day that they get a 'real' problem - maybe they will write such great letters and complain on this board so much, that they will then receive free flights or whatever they are looking for (maybe a lunch date with Sir RB... :))

i trust you enjoy your upgrades - but personally i think you are very lucky, and dare i say it, maybe your case does not really deserve it...

suppose i better put on my tin hat and wait for the missiles coming my way... [8D]
#80350 by FamilyMan
10 Oct 2005, 13:39
Originally posted by hamishbrown
but personally i think you are very lucky, and dare i say it, maybe your case does not really deserve it...

I think 747340 realises he's been very lucky but for us to look on with envy would be tantamount to the original complaint.

Well done 747340 on 'winning the lottery'.

Phil (Buffy)

P.S. Next time I have a complaint maybe I can borrow your template - it must be a good'un :)
#80351 by Littlejohn
10 Oct 2005, 13:40
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the culture of complaining. It really does none of us any good. Not totally sure it applied in this case - I have some sympathy with the OP.

However I certainly hope you do not need a tin hat - it would be disappointing on this site if you did.
#80352 by easygoingeezer
10 Oct 2005, 13:49
I am going to email Vercace and see if they do tin hats now.
#80354 by hamishbrown
10 Oct 2005, 13:54
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
I am going to email Vercace and see if they do tin hats now.

not sure about vercace, but the gucci ones are quite fetching... ;)
#80366 by sunny
10 Oct 2005, 17:39
And I thought the Brits were renowned for not complaining!:D;)[:p]
#80374 by VS045
10 Oct 2005, 20:02
You should see how many 10k replies VS have given out lately if you think that we don't complain, sunny!:D;)

Cheers,
VS045
#80408 by fozzyo
10 Oct 2005, 23:55
By the way they also called me today to see if i was in receipt of the letter

Even better. An excellent response from them, andvery unexpected. They must have felt that they were in error in the way the situation was handled and have given when they think to be a fair compensation. Go Virgin!

Mat xxx
#80412 by Nottingham Nick
11 Oct 2005, 00:14
I am sorry but I am having trouble getting my head round this.

If I remember correctly, you complained that some celebrities had been given some M&Ms and your kids hadn't. As a result of this complaint you got:

Originally posted by 747340
They have advised me to book any Virgin Atlantic Flight Premium or Economy and what ever class i book they will upgrade the complete family, all i have to do is phone customer services with the flight number.

This means, if you book a PE seat to SYD next August at £2330 per passenger, VS have said they will upgrade you to UC - minimum ticket value £4683 per passenger.

That is a fare differential of almost £10,000 if you have a family of four!!!!!

All because some celebs got a couple of smarties??????

Nick
#80420 by JAT74L
11 Oct 2005, 00:55
Yes Nick, I couldn't really get my head round it either...

Thank you for writing what I was thinking!!

Is this one big joke or what???

John
#80423 by xenole
11 Oct 2005, 02:32
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
I am sorry but I am having trouble getting my head round this.

If I remember correctly, you complained that some celebrities had been given some M&Ms and your kids hadn't. As a result of this complaint you got:

This means, if you book a PE seat to SYD next August at £2330 per passenger, VS have said they will upgrade you to UC - minimum ticket value £4683 per passenger.

That is a fare differential of almost £10,000 if you have a family of four!!!!!

All because some celebs got a couple of smarties??????

Nick

Does Virgin Atlantic actually fly to Sydney?

Perhaps I should try my luck as on my outbound flight to NYC, the man two seats from me obviously got preferential treatment as he got a piece of cheese with his crackers and I didn't ;)

Personally, I think they've done far more than they really had to judging by their offer which could be worth £1000s.
#80430 by easygoingeezer
11 Oct 2005, 09:51
Tsk, everyone knows an M&M is not a smartie:D

My personal opinion is that Virgin has outshone itself, they obviously believe the OP had a genuine grievance and have responded to it in a spectacular way, if they had not then he would have been lucky to have got 10k miles, personally I would have offered a years supply of M&Ms and some miles, but thats me.

The only thing that was irking me was the mudslinging on the forum before VA had, had the chance to investigate and respond.

The moral of the story however is don't get all upset because of somebody elses good fortune, and strangely that moral applies to the OP and the rest of us too.:D

At the end of the day Virgin Rocks.
#80433 by jaguarpig
11 Oct 2005, 11:02
I have never heard of VS giving out this sort of compo. In my experience it's always been in the form of miles or a duty free voucher for PAX who are not in FC.I have had the telephone follow up once (easter this year) .
#80450 by FamilyMan
11 Oct 2005, 12:45
Could it be that a VS lurker registered the original thread and sensed a requirement for special treatment?

As Egg says and I mentioned previously - just be happy for 747340 (as he was unable to do of others) - anything else is a waste of karma [8D]

Phil (Buffy)
#80453 by hamishbrown
11 Oct 2005, 13:06
Originally posted by 747340

Who says anyone is embarrassed!

You say you experienced a real disaster what was that, maybe your flight attendant button failed Oh dear !!

If you want lunch with SRB call him if thats what revs you up I am sure he would love to listen to you for an hour!![xx(]

In case you had not noticed this is a forum to discuss VA if you dont like to haer about our experiences then dont comment.
If you think my case does not deserve the upgrades your spot on 10 out of 10 your entitled to your opinion , thanks but i did not ask for the upgrades they gave them to me.

If you ever get the chance to run your own company you would know that it is really important to give feed back at all times what ever the experience good or bad.

By the way they also called me today to see if i was in recept of the letter

PS dont turn to green with envy and give us all abreak and stop sucking sour grapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as i said - i may need a tin hat to deflect missiles - but what a load of B0!!0X - you may remember in the previous thread 747340 was talking about going to the Press with his "M & M's complaint", and at that time I posted (as did Nottingham Nick, sailor99, preiffer etc) that I thought a letter to VS was all that was needed - if you feel i am not entitled to state my suprise in regards to the solution that VS has supplied, then please feel free to keep the MISSILES coming my way...

[:p]
#80461 by Littlejohn
11 Oct 2005, 13:59
It was AlanA, not the OP who said that it would be a good idea to go to the press. I did, as you say HB, suggest this was OTT, which I stick by. 747340's view on it was that it was OTT too. So I don't think we can lay anything at the feet of the OP for bringing the press into the debate.

To be fair to 747340, his post was (abridged) "this happened on a recent flight, I tried to resolve it with the FSM but failed, do you think I should complain". He did not say he had complained about this, but simply asked the advice of member here. Some (like me) said he should, some said not. He decided (having read our suggestions) to write and by all accounts got a great response. Maybe as HB says, this is lucky, or maybe VS felt that on investigation they had dropped a wobbler on 747340 and his family. Either way, it is an interesting change in VS's normal reaction (A number of other threads mention boiler plate responses and 5k/10k tarrif compensation).

I think 747340 got a robust old debate for him money first time round. So I don't think it is very fair to catagorise his original complaint as non-genuine or just about M&M's; it wasn't. It was something about which he felt strongly. He has gone on to voice his concerns to VS, presumably in a reasonable and well argued way, and VS have reacted in a very positive way. Great - all parties are happy!
Virgin Atlantic