This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8355 by xenole
11 Oct 2005, 12:46
Been looking at various flights for next year.

Had a look at LHR-SFO and for a PE seat, it came up with over 16,000 miles for that ticket - some promo?

Just been looking at LHR-LAS and it says just over 7000 miles for that. Even trying the original one again gives me less than 10k miles.

Then had a look at UC (lowest) to Las Vegas and that came out at around 10k miles for £3080.
Compared that to LHR-SYD and that gave 42000 miles for only £300 more.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in the mileage awarded as it changes from day to day, the same applies to seats - if I do a few searches over an hour, different days seats are available keep appearing. It's rather difficult to get the same set of data twice in a row and it's annoying having to search every day trying to find flights

i.e say I want to fly out to SFO on the 25th Feb. The website says nothing available until the 28th. I then say I want to fly out on the 18th, and the 25th is now available, yet the return flight may or may not be........and so on.
Either people are constantly booking and cancelling or they have a really weird system.
#80451 by preiffer
11 Oct 2005, 12:53
Well, at least one of them is correct:
Originally posted by xenole
Had a look at LHR-SFO and for a PE seat, it came up with over 16,000 miles for that ticket - some promo?
5,358 Base Mileage per leg
2,679 Premium Economy miles (additional 50%)
x 2 for return

= 16,074 Total.

Not sure about the rest, though...!
#80570 by xenole
12 Oct 2005, 02:48
Here's an example:

LHR-LAS Premium Economy (lowest)

1 adult GBP 660.00 each

Total taxes, fees, charges and surcharges. This includes the September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per segment, and carrier imposed fuel and insurance surcharges. GBP 141.80

Total GBP 801.80
Flying Club miles you will earn Miles 7836 each

If I fly the same type of seat the extra 4-500 miles to SFO, I get over 16000 miles for around £200+ extra.

No idea if there are special offer seats available that are being found which are giving the extra miles or what, but judging by that, I'd rather pay the extra few hundred £ and more than double my mileage...
#80576 by preiffer
12 Oct 2005, 07:20
xenole,

You seem to have missed my point, above.

The LHR-SFO mileage for PE is correct. There is no "extra" or "promo" amount of miles applied - ANYONE would earn 16k miles, ANYTIME, flying paid PE to SFO.

The error is with the Las Vegas route. Just tried the following:

Outbound

Flight VS043
Depart 10:45 Thursday, 3 Nov, 2005
Cabin Premium Economy, Fare Type lowest

Inbound

Flight VS044
Depart 16:05 Sunday, 13 Nov, 2005
Cabin Premium Economy, Fare Type lowest

Flying Club miles you could earn Miles 7836 each [:0]

Now, these dates were in the fare sale period, so I retried for next March (out of the sale), and got the same - so it's not linked to that. Weird error. [?]
#80581 by mcuth
12 Oct 2005, 09:37
Originally posted by preiffer
Flying Club miles you could earn Miles 7836 each [:0]

7836 is the PE one-way mileage earned - suspect there's just a bug on the website not picking up the return?

Cheers

Michael
#80589 by FamilyMan
12 Oct 2005, 10:19
Originally posted by mcuth
...suspect there's just a bug on the website not picking up the return?

Indeed there is. In fact any flight ex-LAS in any class is not picking up the miles - this includes one-way.

Phil (Buffy)
#81503 by xenole
19 Oct 2005, 12:21
Few fluctations in prices too..........although I assume that's normal. Just trying to find relevent threads etc about it.

Mentioned earlier that I found that £600 price tag.

Searched a couple of days ago for the following:
LHR-SFO PE (lowest) Thur 9th Mar - Mon 20th Mar £731.50

Tried again next day and the same flight was for £851.50

At least the mileage stays constant.
#82078 by xenole
25 Oct 2005, 13:41
Seem to have found possibly another bug in the Virgin website.

Tried LHR-HGK-SYD (3 days stopover in HGK) on the 1st Sep-24 Sep 2006 just to see roughly what the prices were.

Economy (lowest) £1798.00
PE (lowest) £1798.00
UC (lowest) £3440.00

Did think it was strange about the economy far as I've seen these for £600-800. Had a closer look at the details and by selecting economy, it gives you the PE fare instead of the economy fare.
#82759 by paul_a142
31 Oct 2005, 18:11
Indeed there is. In fact any flight ex-LAS in any class is not picking up the miles - this includes one-way.

Phil (Buffy)

As were hoping to fly LHR SFO LAS LGW next year I was looking at the VS site and the glitch is still in their system i.e not showing any return mileage from LAS to LGW.

I sent VS an email last week copied as below.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your email.

It is possible that LAS to LGW is a discounted fare and it is not eligible to earn miles.

If I may explain, within the Economy cabin there are several fare structures ranging from the highest 'Y' booking class (fully flexible and changeable) to the most discounted 'N' booking class (restricted, non refundable). All passengers will of course receive the same service regardless of the type of ticket that they purchase.[^] The only difference in these tickets is in the restrictions imposed on them and the fact that some discounted fares do not qualify to earn miles, as stated on our website: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/frequent ... lights.jsp

If you book through a travel agent, they should be able to let you know the booking class when making your reservation. If you generally book directly with ourselves, we recommend that Flying Club members call their Flying Club helpline to book their flights. We can then ensure that they are booked in a miles earning booking class.

Should you have any queries regarding this matter please speak with your Flying Club helpline.

I sent them another email sunday stating that there must be an error in their system as no LAS LGW flight will generate any miles and they replied this afternoon with this.

Thank you for your email.

I have passed your request to be checked out.

Thank you very much for letting us know.
We are most grateful to you for your support of Virgin Atlantic

So hopefully someone in the tech department may get it sorted out soon.[y]

Regards

Paul
Virgin Atlantic