This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8382 by slinky09
12 Oct 2005, 03:41
Sitting in the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge at LAX (it's not so bad but certainly not Virgin, mind you just don't go for the fish cakes :-(( ), I recalled the 'Must Have Accessories' thread and wondered if my carry ons matched ... heck no ... here's my list, what's your weird list:

cheese board from Williams Sonoma
chocolate hedgehogs and owls (thank you gift)
green tea
Liberace DVD (hasten to add not mine!)
plastic cocktail shaker
dog biscuits
cocker spaniel calendar
map of southern california
Augusten Burroughs book

Decided that the only commonality was that they wouldn't fit in my luggage!

:)
#80619 by daisy
12 Oct 2005, 15:07
Your list made me chuckle!

In Boston once, I got (for a friend you understand) a talking Cartman character (Southpark) which was about 12" high so he wouldn't go in my case. I thought I'd turned it off but I could hear it saying "Cartoons Kick A**" and "I'm not fat I'm big boned" etc - plus a few other more obscene things - from inside the overhead as we took off. Couldn't wait for the seat belt signs to go out so I could jump up and deal with it. At least everyone had a laugh...sort of.

Other than that, a few strange things from Williams Sonoma (rubber oven gloves and popcorn makers etc, crates of stuff from Crate and Barrel and usually a half dozen collars and t shirts for my dogs...[:I]

Like you say, some things will never fit in your suitcase so you end up taking them as carry ons!

Luckily have NEVER been searched....
#80622 by fozzyo
12 Oct 2005, 15:34
The thing that shocked me in our flights in the past month is how much people take as carry-on! It seemed that on United domestic flights the check-in and ground staff don't bother looking at hand luggage! Some of it was larger then my hold bags!! One woman next to Dean had a suitcase so large it wouldn't fit in the overhead bins, not that that stopped her trying.

A note to self, never have an ailse seat again ... if you hit turbulence and this fell on your head you could sustain a serious injury!

Mat xxx
#80625 by HighFlyer
12 Oct 2005, 15:40
I got (for a friend you understand) a talking Cartman character (Southpark) which was about 12" high so he wouldn't go in my case. I thought I'd turned it off but I could hear it saying "Cartoons Kick A**" and "I'm not fat I'm big boned" etc - plus a few other more obscene things - from inside the overhead as we took off. Couldn't wait for the seat belt signs to go out so I could jump up and deal with it. At least everyone had a laugh...sort of.

LOLOL I can picture it now!! :D

I had a similar experience but with a talking Buzz Lightyear toy, but you and your Cartman certainly take the rosette!! Nice one!
#80628 by daisy
12 Oct 2005, 16:04
""To Infinity and Beyond...." Excellent!! You could have passed him off as the captain! :D
#80632 by fozzyo
12 Oct 2005, 16:34
Daisy, you just reminded me of the time Dean and I took a stuffed toy sheep (Max) with us to Disney the first time we went. Good job he wasn't suspicious looking and required an internal examination as he was someones pride and joy.

A pride and joy that had been kidnapped! He belonged to the colleage of a friend and had been forgotten about in the bottom drawer of owners desk or something. So one day our friend kidnapped him and Max started his world tour! Loads of people took him around the world on holiday and had took photos of him in by or on famous landmarks places and posted them back to his owner with a letter saying where he was and what he had been upto. He had forgotten about Max until receiving the first of many letters from somewhere, and he didn't have a clue how he got there. He visted many other places including Spain, a few cities in the states and Singapore.

We took him to Disney where he met some lovely american girls who had a picture taken holding him outside the castle, and then he got a photo of his good pal Mickey Mouse holding him too. From all these places he collected a small momento, and one day at the work christmas party he returned home, with a diary of his trip with photos, and a small suitcase of momento's!

It was fantastic to be part of his trip.

Mat xxx
#80634 by daisy
12 Oct 2005, 16:52
How fantastic - perhaps there should be a V Flyer Mascot who gets to go EVERYWHERE on the VS network!!!! With TS and pics of course! :)

We could call him "Mini-Pix"
#80638 by Littlejohn
12 Oct 2005, 17:37
Great story Fozzy.:D Brightened my day anyway[8D]
#80689 by Scrooge
12 Oct 2005, 23:19
Originally posted by daisy
How fantastic - perhaps there should be a V Flyer Mascot who gets to go EVERYWHERE on the VS network!!!! With TS and pics of course! :)

We could call him "Mini-Pix"

A great idea,just make sure it's water proof for the spa shot.

There are a couple of things I have taken with me that stick out.

The first one was a gift for my then GF's daughter,it was around that time that that pig movie came out Babe I think it was..anyhow's,being a 3 year old she was into pig's,so im at LHR scrathching my head trying to figure out what to get her,I walk into Harrod's and they have the walking snorting pink pigs..well I had to have one(they still sell them at LHR)...I get on board and after lunch am at the bar chatting with the FA,she wants to see it,so I go to the overhead and grab it out of the bag and bring it to her.It walks up and down the bar then she grabs it and runs off...For the next 8 hrs that thing went up and down the aircraft,on a leash being walked by the FA (as some of us know FA's carry leashes..dont ask me why)It was great to see kid's leaning over to stroke it as it went by..the FSM took one look and I thought was going to blow a fuse,the she smiled,gave a shrug and went on her way..When the FA walked it through UC I thought we might have a few issues,but every laughed and took it in stride..

Guess that was what made VS ,VS back in the good old days.

The other thing is my bosses name tag...He worship's this thing..so of course I had to steal it and get picture's of people wearing it,from hotel clerks to FA's,cab drivers to..uummmm "ladies of the night"...

It's gotten to the point where he hides it when he know's I have a trip coming up...of course th big boss found this very amussing,so he had another badge made up,just for me to take.
#80690 by preiffer
12 Oct 2005, 23:22
My parachute rig, just in case ;):)
#80691 by mitchja
12 Oct 2005, 23:30
I remember carrying a 4 foot Tigger home from MCO on a VS flight several years ago. His head was sticking out the top of my bag carrying him home (for a friend you understand ;)) and I got several witty comments about him both when checking in and boarding the A/C.

I do agree that we should have some kind of V-Flyer travelling mascot though....great idea to see how many miles it could clock up :D

Regards
#80694 by Scrooge
12 Oct 2005, 23:35
Originally posted by preiffer
My parachute rig, just in case ;):)

dont forget your pink anorak
#80718 by VS-EWR
13 Oct 2005, 02:37
When I come back from England I usually have a truckload of yummy English foods in my carry on and check-in luggage. They can make for an excellent snack both on board and after the flight. :D

A V-Flyer mascot would be really great.
#80721 by philadam
13 Oct 2005, 09:36
In Boston once, I got (for a friend you understand) a talking Cartman character (Southpark) which was about 12" high so he wouldn't go in my case. I thought I'd turned it off but I could hear it saying "Cartoons Kick A**" and "I'm not fat I'm big boned" etc - plus a few other more obscene things - from inside the overhead as we took off. Couldn't wait for the seat belt signs to go out so I could jump up and deal with it. At least everyone had a laugh...sort of.

Love that story Daisy. It's the same sort of embarrassing "must get to that" feeling as when your electric toothbrush goes off in your hand luggage when you are standing in a lift[:I]

Phil
#80724 by HighFlyer
13 Oct 2005, 10:45
when your electric toothbrush goes off in your hand luggage

Reminds me of that classic episode of Airport where the baggage staff were trying to find the owner of a 'buzzing' bag, which turned out to be the owners electric toothbrush that had accidentally switched on during transit, although im sure the baggage handlers have found other more interesting items in those situations [}:)]
Virgin Atlantic