This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8491 by Richard28
17 Oct 2005, 22:38
I've just been thinking about the LHR B747-400's and the routes they'll be serving this winter.

Normally both JNB and LAX (VS7/8) are operated by the Jumbo in the winter, but this year both are A340-600 flights.

So where are the (3-4?) 744's that would normally ply these routes going instead?

Are some airbus routes changing to 744 routes?
#81314 by VS-EWR
17 Oct 2005, 23:46
Well, you never know, things change so JNB and LAX could turn into a jumbo at some point.

I don't know if you mean seasonal changes, but JFK and EWR get jumbos year round.
#81430 by VS045
18 Oct 2005, 22:11
Well as you probably know, some have gone to MAN/LGW and i suppose the rest fly to EWR, JFK, SFO, MIA, BOS.

Cheers,
VS045
#81441 by Richard28
18 Oct 2005, 23:05
Originally posted by VS045
Well as you probably know, some have gone to MAN/LGW and i suppose the rest fly to EWR, JFK, SFO, MIA, BOS.

The thing is, is that B744's already do the EWR, JFK, SFO, MIA and BOS runs.

Normally they would do LAX and JNB too - so there must be some more 744 routes.....

I've spotted that for a couple of months CPT will be a B744 route - which partly answers it - but not completely.

Perhaps some of the 744 fleet are due to get their MOT's ;)
#81494 by mike-smashing
19 Oct 2005, 11:05
Originally posted by Richard28
Perhaps some of the 744 fleet are due to get their MOT's ;)

It's possible. Or paint.

It could be something like a D check - very heavy maint, where they pretty much strip the aircraft back to the airframe and put it back together again, or a full repaint, can easily take a month.

The LHR 744 fleet is run so tightly that with an aircraft out for MX for a month, there would be no slack in the system, so it would make sense to convert some of the 744 flying to Airbus for the duration of the MX period. It also ties up quite nicely with the low season in between Summer holls and the Xmas rush.

I noticed that G-VHOT had been away in Amsterdam for about a month across September and October, where KLM do the heavy maint on VS 744 fleet.

Go to http://www.klm-engineering-maintenance.com/ and click on "Boeing 747 D-check".

Cheers,
Mike
Virgin Atlantic