This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8539 by preiffer
20 Oct 2005, 22:55
Not sure if anyone else has noticed the latest Flying Club Miles Promo(needs login) involving Air New Zealand?

To celebrate the launch of Air New Zealand's new Business Premier and Pacific Premium Economy seating, you can earn double miles on all flights between 01 October until 30 November 2005, when travelling in the following booking classes: C,D,Z,U,O & E.

Essentially, they're offering an incentive for VS FC members to travel on their only real rival (in terms of Business Class cabin comfort) using the same onboard design. I'm no marketing expert, but it does seem a risky strategy to me...?
#81680 by fozzyo
20 Oct 2005, 23:04
Not really familiar with the ANZ network - just had a look at their network map. Took a few seconds to work out the blue bits are land and not sea, looked a bit odd until my blonde moment passed.

They are only really directly competing on one route as far as I can see with VS. So to me this sounds a cool promotion - fly the best business class flat-bed to all these other fabulous places too and still get loads of FC miles.
#81682 by preiffer
20 Oct 2005, 23:08
Fozz,

Agreed, but the route in question (LAX-LHR) is the one that seems the dodgiest of the US routes for VS at the moment. You risk the an A343, or the "dreaded" GNF.

If I was was flying from LAX over the next month or so, and earning double miles on Air NZ, I know which airline I'd take to LHR for the time being...
#81683 by mcmbenjamin
20 Oct 2005, 23:12
Well sorta a direct competator on the LAX-LHR segment. Same seat. Good Serivce. No bar or rub down and less tier points.

Benjamin
#81688 by mcmbenjamin
20 Oct 2005, 23:26
Darn - Everybody was reading this thread :)

Benjamin
Virgin Atlantic