This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8595 by sue Barter
25 Oct 2005, 10:34
hi there

Does anyone have the interest or the knowledge of the Names of the Planes used by Virgin. For example Cosmic girl etc. I am now gonna make more of an effort to look at all the different girls that we fly but would like to know the names of them.

Do they change routes or does for example Cosmic girl only go to JFK?

Sad I know but would like to start tracking the planes that I have flown on!

Sue
[y][:X]
#82067 by Pete
25 Oct 2005, 10:52
Hi Sue,

Have a look at [url=/aircraft.asp]this page[/url] on V-Flyer which has a database of all the Virgin aircraft, what they're called and where they've flown over the last 3 months.

Pete
#82076 by kkempton
25 Oct 2005, 13:24
I think its time they renamed G-VFLY from Dragon Lady to V-Flyer... thats a much better name... ;)
#82108 by Scrooge
25 Oct 2005, 19:35
Originally posted by kkempton
I think its time they renamed G-VFLY from Dragon Lady to V-Flyer... thats a much better name... ;)

agree 100% [y] or V-LSoM [:0]
#82114 by VS045
25 Oct 2005, 20:06
Many aircraft used to be designed to fly specific destinations such as African Queen (JNB), Dragon Lady(HKG) and this did work out a lot of the time I think, particularly in the earlier days of VS. Nowadays, I know that the -400s at LHR operate a loose rotational system.

Cheers,
VS045
#82115 by sky
25 Oct 2005, 20:09
Originally posted by sue Barter
hi there

Does anyone have the interest or the knowledge of the Names of the Planes used by Virgin. For example Cosmic girl etc. I am now gonna make more of an effort to look at all the different girls that we fly but would like to know the names of them.

Do they change routes or does for example Cosmic girl only go to JFK?

Sad I know but would like to start tracking the planes that I have flown on!

I usually end up on Tinkerbelle (VBIG) on VS19 and VS20.

Cheers
sky
#82226 by Littlejohn
26 Oct 2005, 17:23
Originally posted by sue Barter

Ps how do you all get that little countdown thing to your next trip? I want one as my next trip on UC is in 53 days!!!!
[y]

'fraid its a membership thing. If you would like to join up, see here.
#83095 by jwhite9185
03 Nov 2005, 18:24
Originally posted by VS045
Many aircraft used to be designed to fly specific destinations such as African Queen (JNB), Dragon Lady(HKG) and this did work out a lot of the time I think, particularly in the earlier days of VS. Nowadays, I know that the -400s at LHR operate a loose rotational system.

Cheers,
VS045

Dont forget that classics:

G-VLAX - California Girl
G-VJFK - Boston Belle (never did understand that one!)
G-VMIA - Originally called Maiden Miami (or something similar)
G-TKYO - Maiden Japan
#83320 by VS045
05 Nov 2005, 10:08
G-VMIA's name when it was sold/scrapped? was "Spirit of Sir Freddie."

Cheers,
VS045
#83323 by jwhite9185
05 Nov 2005, 11:46
Yeah, it was changed to Spirit Of Sir Freddy after Freddy Laker backed Branson during BA's dirty tricks campaign.

The aircraft was scrapped in 2000 at RAF Kemble.
#83403 by SW15 and 33134
07 Nov 2005, 00:57
Originally posted by hairy114

Boston is in Massachusetts, the state which John F. Kennedy represented in the US Senate before he became president. While there are many streets, parks, libraries and other public facilities (including the former Idlewild Aiport in NYC) named after him, the Kennedy family is primarily associated with Massachusetts. His youngest brother, Edward, is one of the US Senators from MA today.

dennis
#83407 by VS-EWR
07 Nov 2005, 02:06
Originally posted by SW15 and 33134
Originally posted by hairy114

Boston is in Massachusetts, the state which John F. Kennedy represented in the US Senate before he became president. While there are many streets, parks, libraries and other public facilities (including the former Idlewild Aiport in NYC) named after him, the Kennedy family is primarily associated with Massachusetts. His youngest brother, Edward, is one of the US Senators from MA today.

dennis

Totally missed their confussion..

V-GJFK - Boston Belle

Why Boston with a New York City airport?
#83467 by VS-EWR
08 Nov 2005, 12:40
Originally posted by SW15 and 33134
>

The airport is in New York, but named after a person from Boston.

*Sigh* Are you trying to be sarcastic or do you really not understand the question here? It would make more sense to have it named after something in NYC. That's what we are confused about, why didn't VS make it G-VBOS and name that Boston Belle?
#83473 by slinky09
08 Nov 2005, 14:16
Or perhaps why did new york name an airport after someone from boston and who was mr (presumably)logan?
#83496 by SW15 and 33134
08 Nov 2005, 17:31
I am never sarcastic online, too much potential for misunderstanding.

John F Kennedy was from Boston. Virgin evidently designated the aircraft to honor the man, not the New York City airport which happens to also be named after the same man.

Context: John F Kennedy airport was formerly called Idlewild airport, and was renamed after Kennedy was assasinated. I daresay every metropolitan area in the US now has a public building or thoroughfare named after John F Kennedy. There is no particular connection between New York, its airport, or most of these other places and JFK, but there is a connection between Boston and the Kennedys.

dennis
#83503 by VS045
08 Nov 2005, 18:42
Thanks for the clarification, SW15 and 33134!:)

It does make sense really on the VS side of things, although I think NY having a major airport named after JFK rather than just a road or building is slightly confusing. Also, maybe VS chose JFK because it is a bit quirky, like virgin, as everyone in the world of aviation associates him with the airport.[:?]

Cheers,
VS045
#83511 by SW15 and 33134
08 Nov 2005, 22:35
It would be simpler if Boston's airport had been renamed for Kennedy, but it had only adopted the Logan name in 1956. In 1963 Idlewild was technically named something bland like "New York International Airport", so the renaming was straightforward. There was a mania of naming things for Kennedy, including Cape Canaveral which was called Cape Kennedy for several years. This was later reversed and it became the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. (Lest I be accused of straying off-topic, I believe Virgin plans to offer space flights ;).)

dennis
#83514 by VS-EWR
08 Nov 2005, 22:43
Now that's the answer we were looking for! Thank you.
Virgin Atlantic