This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8611 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 12:45
Planning a few days to NY (from LHR) next year - perhaps March. Will pay for PE seats, for me and missus.

1. Is there any real difference between picking an EWR or JFK flight?
2. As I try different dates and flight numbers, VA gives me widely different prices/fares... any tips?

Thanks.
#82187 by Decker
26 Oct 2005, 12:48
1) EWR Clubhouse not much cop and they do GNF flight without adequate warning. Handy for NJ tho' :D
#82189 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 13:00
Clarification: PE seats, FC red. So Clubhouse irrelevent! ;)
#82190 by VS045
26 Oct 2005, 13:03
If you're au, then I'd go for JFK as the CH is much better, but if you're going to NJ, as Decker said, then EWR is probaly better. Also, the cheapest flight is probably a good bet.

Edit - Sorry, hadn't seen your second post as it was posted when I was writing this, so most of this is irrelevant.

VS601 Tonight, can't wait[^]:D
Cheers,
VS045
#82192 by Decker
26 Oct 2005, 13:16
Whoops sorry then! Not a lot of difference in it then really. Personally I prefer JFK but Mrs D prefers EWR as it is quieter. Immigration is probably less busy at EWR too...
#82193 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 13:17
Fair enough, ta.
#82194 by RichardMannion
26 Oct 2005, 13:18
If you are going to Manhattan, then opt for JFK as the transfers via taxi are shorter and cheaper in my experience.

Here is the list of ground transportation options for the NYC airports:
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm

Watch out for the codeshare thing with EWR, as some of the flights are of course operated by CO.

Thanks,
Richard
#82195 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 13:21
If JFK is closer to town, then that's where I'll go..

Now, which of the LHR-JFK flights will be cheapest?
#82197 by VS045
26 Oct 2005, 13:31
I'd say that the VS045/46 would be cheapest and it arrives midday so your holiday can start there and then, provided jetlag (or a hangover) doesn't set in![}:)]

Cheers,
VS045
#82198 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 13:35
Hmmm.. would prefer a 744 though, if flying PE...

EDIT - although, with only 28 PE seats on the 346, is there a good chance of an op-up to Upper?
#82199 by Decker
26 Oct 2005, 13:35
and that's where they get you [}:)]
#82202 by Decker
26 Oct 2005, 13:42
Usual rules apply on OpUps... are you Flying Co upgrade, are you offering money, do you have status.... etc etc. Wouldn't book based on that [}:)]
#82203 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 13:46
Okay.. appreciate the help! [y]
#82204 by xenole
26 Oct 2005, 13:50
$45 fixed taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan, so around £26-£27.
Takes about 1/2 an hour depending on traffic. They've been digging up bits around the Van Wyck expressway which is causing a lot more traffic at certain times of day, but being a fixed fare, same price even if it takes all day.
Plenty of taxis all the time outside the airport, or you can also get the air train to Jamaica and then to Penn Station or is it Grand Central for around $12 or something like that - supposed to be a direct link the lower Manhattan getting built sometime - if you've loads of luggage, get the taxi as it's far easier in the long run.

Cost me around $47 + tolls of $4.95? on the way back as they're on the meter coming from Manhattan and I'm sure the driver took a longer route up through the Bronx, over some toll bridge into Queens etc, but didn't cost much more........remember the tip too.

There are toll booths on the way to/from Newark too........a lot of industrial things to see and you get a slightly better view of Manhatten this way from the road.
I like coming from JFK as you go past Shea Stadium, the World Fair bit at Queens and Flushing Meadows (on your left).
#82210 by KenJohn
26 Oct 2005, 14:32
Clubhouse aside, one question to consider is the day you are flying in and out of NYC. JFK is closer to Manhattan and the most convinient mode of transport is by taxi but that means NYC traffic if you are flying weekdays (morning and 2pm flight but not for 6pm flight) in JFK and any flight out of JFK. From EWR, you can take the Amtrak train into Penn Station, no different from the Gatwick Express - which has no traffic issues on week days. The 2pm flight to JFK and the 9pm flight from JFK are the "normal" flights for the 747 plane.

PE on a 747 is much better than a on a A346 as there are no middle seats and the quieter Upper deck.

Likely to have more UC availability as well for Op-ups. I must admit thats how VS hooked me. 5/6 Op-up flights in a row then found myself back to Y for a LAS flight and I now pay the big-bucks. I claim it is for the health of my back.
#82217 by locutus
26 Oct 2005, 16:07
In March I flew to EWR and departed from JFK, partly because VS3 was cancelled. I close to take VS1 as it was a 747 and I could sit upstairs.

No queues at immigration, so managed a quick getaway to Manhattan. The departures area at JFK was ok, plenty of places to eat and shop, nice and clean, no complaints there.

Decided to do the same trip again next year, though I probably would have chosen to fly into JFK, but it was cheaper to go to EWR.
#82224 by webdes03
26 Oct 2005, 16:59
I personally prefer EWR, but I have to drive down there, and avoiding NYC traffic is much more plesant. Takes me about 3 hours to get from Upstate New York to EWR, (although next week I'm hopping CO2016 SYR-EWR) for VS002.

EWR is a lot quieter, generally a little cheaper, and quicker with Immigration. Plus, it's a major CO hub, so if you have to get there from somewhere else, it's generally quite easy.
#82238 by johnvega
26 Oct 2005, 19:01
hi guys , can anyone give me a rough price for a taxi between Newark airport and 148E 48TH Street ( helmsley hotel ) . and then from the hotel to JFK airport . many thanks
#82245 by csparker
26 Oct 2005, 20:15
I'm sure the driver took a longer route up through the Bronx, over some toll bridge into Queens

I've had VS limo drivers take some pretty round about routes from Manhattan to JFK, including one via LGA, and others that go through deepest Brooklyn so don't get too worried about the direction a cab driver takes. As long as they get you there...
#82248 by locutus
26 Oct 2005, 20:25
VH is pretty good for accom only deals too, and you get 10% off for being a Flying Club member. Pay a deposit immediately, then pay the rest 2 months before the trip starts. [^]
#82256 by VS-EWR
26 Oct 2005, 21:21
JFK may be closer but it definitely takes longer to get from JFK to NYC. As people have said, Terminal B at EWR is very quiet and ususally only contains your flight. Same with baggage claim, especially if you fly 001, you're really the only ones there.

According to EWR and JFK's websites, from EWR it costs about 40-48 dollars for a taxi, including tolls. From JFK it costs about 34 dollars including tolls. I don't have an exact quote though.

Where ever you decide to go, just be sure to make your departure time from the U.S. and your arrival time to the U.S. avoiding rush hour. I would suggest arriving in the U.S. in the afternoon or evening when the flow of traffic is pretty much heading out of NYC; then get your departure in the morning or afternoon when most people are heading into NYC.
#82261 by locutus
26 Oct 2005, 22:23
Originally posted by VS-EWR
Same with baggage claim, especially if you fly 001, you're really the only ones there.

Indeed, when we arrived, the staff were having a coffee break and had to put out a call to tell them to come back to work as a plane load of people were about to arrive.

I was impressed with how quickly I got through the airport, but being 2nd off the plane helped, it look longer to find my driver! :D
#82279 by McCoy
26 Oct 2005, 23:51
Hmm.. lots of contrasting opinions! Great stuff.. this is why I like online forums..! [y]
#82592 by webdes03
30 Oct 2005, 01:10
Originally posted by VS-EWR
Same with baggage claim, especially if you fly 001, you're really the only ones there.

Agreed! It's always quiet when you arrive off VS 001... and immigration is normally empty...
Virgin Atlantic