This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8725 by AerJohn
03 Nov 2005, 15:42
As i was connecting through T-3 in LHR today i heard over a walkie talkie that VS 4 had an engine that struck the ground upon landing?. I flew in just before it on VS 22 and the captin said that it would and was rough with winds around 30 mph. So my thinking is that it could be true but am not sure. Has anyone heard anything?.

thanks in advance
#83116 by Richard28
03 Nov 2005, 21:15
I think (but stand to be corrected) the VS11 was cancelled today as well - maybe it was due to this?
#83120 by VS-EWR
03 Nov 2005, 21:25
Do you know what aircraft was flying this route?
#83130 by G-VOPS
03 Nov 2005, 22:26
It was G-VWOW. More of an engine scrape than an engine strike. No major deal and I shouldn't think too many people onboard if anyone even noticed. Caused by windy conditions.

Not really a major thing but obviously certain checks have to be carried out and as a result the VS11 was cancelled.
#83132 by slinky09
03 Nov 2005, 22:39
Originally posted by G-VOPS
It was G-VWOW. More of an engine scrape than an engine strike. No major deal and I shouldn't think too many people onboard if anyone even noticed. Caused by windy conditions.

Not really a major thing but obviously certain checks have to be carried out and as a result the VS11 was cancelled.

Reassuring to hear that, however I think if I had a view and saw things I might feel somewhat differently!

As I was walking to the tube this morning at the ungodly hour of 6 am I saw a Virgin jumbo flying overhead about 10 miles from LHR ... and thought they're in for a bumpy landing cos the weather was stormy. Was it that one?
#83135 by honey lamb
03 Nov 2005, 22:44
Originally posted by slinky09
Originally posted by G-VOPS

Reassuring to hear that, however I think if I had a view and saw things I might feel somewhat differently!

As I was walking to the tube this morning at the ungodly hour of 6 am I saw a Virgin jumbo flying overhead about 10 miles from LHR ... and thought they're in for a bumpy landing cos the weather was stormy. Was it that one?

No. It landed after us and we landed at 7:00. We had a bumpy landing as Aer John said. [:$] It was while we were in T3 waiting for a bus to the FCC that a walkie talkie came on loud and clear. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard one so clear. It's usually accompanied by a whole load of static.
Virgin Atlantic