This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8736 by AlanA
04 Nov 2005, 10:44
I asked the question of Customer services about UC pax using an alternative revivals lounge at Gatwick.
This is the reply I got [:#]

"Dear AlanA,

Thank you for your email.

Ar present, we do not offer the facilities from another carrier's arrival lounge at Gatwick airport.

You may be interested in our DIY online check in facility, where you can check in up to 24 hours prior to departure. Further information can be found on our website from the enclosed link -

https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/managey ... /index.jsp

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Kind regards

Contact Centre Customer Service Team"

So yet again, Gatwick users get the short stick.
[:(!]

{edited - preiffer : removed first name, too}
#83189 by jaguarpig
04 Nov 2005, 11:02
at least it didn't go on to say you will be pleased to know your return is a GNF service:D
#83190 by AlanA
04 Nov 2005, 11:17
Give it time JP, give it time....[:#]
#83220 by jaguarpig
04 Nov 2005, 15:39
I like the LGW clubhouse[y]
#83221 by Scrooge
04 Nov 2005, 15:40
Originally posted by bostonbrit
Gatwick sucks! [n]

Well other than having no revivals and aircraft that only have 14 UC seats,I prefer LGW over LHR.

LHR is a mess,takes so long to do anything,security,gates,immagration.

LGW you can be off the plane and out the door a lot quicker.
#83233 by daisy
04 Nov 2005, 16:56
Um...that's a silly customer response. What has online check in got to do with Revivals?

I hate that. I don't want to be told "we haven't got that coat in black, why not try the red hat instead" It makes no sense and infuriates me as a customer. [B)]

I haven't used Gatwick with VS yet but it does seem to be a somewhat 'lesser' product (yet again...) Are UC flights from LGW cheaper?
#83238 by preiffer
04 Nov 2005, 17:49
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Oh my goodness...don't we discourage printing CS responses verbatim here? I thought that was discouraged?
Sort of...

Basically, there are a couple of guidelines:

It's unfair to post YOUR letter to THEM before they've had time to respond. Give them a chance, and then post if necessary.
Do not post ANY part of the staff member's name unless they've given you their direct permission to post their response onto a public website
Notes on compensation amounts, etc. normally do more harm than good when made public, so that should be considered before posting a specific letter, verbatim.
There is a little gem contained within the disclaimer on emails - ie: this is intended for the recipient only, etc. I'm not sure (off the top of my head) if this applies to VS CS emails, but if it does, it turns the whole thing into a lot more of a grey area...

However, as GJ says, what an absolutely pathetic response. That's annoyed me more than the lack of revivals facilities at LGW [:(!]
#83256 by ade99
04 Nov 2005, 19:36
Gatwick sucks! [n]

Well apart from our most recent flight I can't remember ever having to wait 20-25 minutes for a gate at LGW and then off the plane and out within 30 mins.

Plus LGW is good, has that holiday feeling about it and a lot say the 14J makes it really good. And of course you musn't forget Gatwick being virgin's 'spiritual home'

I think with 14 J they should be allowed to use the CO revivals or the delta arrivals in the sofitel/meridien.
#83259 by Nottingham Nick
04 Nov 2005, 19:41
I must say that, apart from the extra travelling, I like LGW. I like the area around the airport better. I also like the airport hotels better. We used to use it a lot when MIA was a LGW flight, but haven't been down there for a few years now.

Nick
#83293 by buns
04 Nov 2005, 23:25
In support of what Jaguarpig says, the Gatwick Clubhouse IMHO is superior to Heathrow, simply becuase of the nice atmosphere there, and the staff always seem to go out of thier way to may your visit a memorable one[y][y]
#83297 by slinky09
05 Nov 2005, 00:35
Originally posted by daisy
I hate that. I don't want to be told "we haven't got that coat in black, why not try the red hat instead" It makes no sense and infuriates me as a customer.

Like totally agree, unprofessional, bland, fo sort of response that says we don't care but by the way aren't we fab at this.

Not usual though ... think we could often share stories of really good representatives of Virgin customer care, just not this one.
#83316 by Littlejohn
05 Nov 2005, 08:41
Originally posted by slinky09

Not usual though ... think we could often share stories of really good representatives of Virgin customer care, just not this one.

I both agree and disagree. Looking at the people in Virgin I come across:
Cabin Crew - I have yet to meet someone who was poor and most are really, really good on the customer service front.
Security at LHR - to a person great, although not strictly VS as they are ISTR securicor.
Check in staff - again really great in my experience.
Club house staff - the permanent staff seem very good althogh the temp waiters/resses did cause some concern a while back.
Customer Service Centre - Sorry, but this is really patchy. If you get a good person on the premier team they are great. And this does happen quite often. But if you get the non-premier team, or if you get a less good one then it is pot-luck if you get the right advice. I have been told that as an gold I still don't get into the CH. I have rung for a mile upgrade and been told that none are available and no they won't ring revenue. But ring back again 5 mins later, speak to someone else and they have managed to swing revenue round instantaniously. It really does depend so much on who you get.

I know that you will get people of all skill levels in an organisation, but I have to say that VS CS department has me shouting at the walls on occassion with its variablity. But the one that really gets my goat is their written responses. We have all seen the boiler plates. But these responses unrelated to the original point are really infuriating.

I asked about Cape Town lounge facilities the other day. The response is at work, but the conversation (by email) went along the lines of:

Sailor: Can you tell me tell me what lounge facilities are available to gold members in cape town?
CustServ: We have a lounge in JoBerg where you can watch the planes take off against the African sunset.
Sailor: That sounds fantastic, but what have you got in Capetown?
CustServ:We have a lounge in JoBerg where you can watch the planes take off against the African sunset.

Sailor: Sod it, I'll ask at v-flyer and get a sensible response.
#83326 by seany
05 Nov 2005, 12:27
Gatwick sucks! [n]

Have to disagree, I love the LGW CH, the atmosphere is great, staff are great and seems more efficient than LHR to me.(Another terminal would be a good idea, seems to be more and more packed in the ST every time I go)
#83342 by ade99
05 Nov 2005, 18:19
The mornings are always terrible with all the US bound flights filling up the terminal - makes the clubhouse feel even nicer!!!!
#83364 by Wolves27
06 Nov 2005, 01:16
Are the Manchester flights now UCS?
We were flying back from Orlando last month and didn't relaise that we could have possibly chaned our flight from LGW to MAN, especially as loads were so light on all flights that day.

If there is no revivals and as long as MAN is UCS it would have been much better for us, 2 hours to get home as opposed to nigh on 5...

Dean
#83372 by Jetstreamer
06 Nov 2005, 11:26
Originally posted by Wolves27
Are the Manchester flights now UCS?

Yes, all Manchester flights have the UCS (unless there is a last minute aircraft change to an A340-300!)
#83385 by slinky09
06 Nov 2005, 19:39
I don't wish to deny anyone from Manchester or Gatwick users, but isn't it odd that it's still Heathrow flights that get non UCS planes ... why did Virgin prioritise it so? Aren't LHR flyers more frequent and business orientated?

(still rankling that I've had three flights this year on non-UCS 343s from LHR and two of them unexpected when using up valuable miles) [:(!]
#83391 by ade99
06 Nov 2005, 21:10
I don't wish to deny anyone from Manchester or Gatwick users, but isn't it odd that it's still Heathrow flights that get non UCS planes ... why did Virgin prioritise it so? Aren't LHR flyers more frequent and business orientated?

(still rankling that I've had three flights this year on non-UCS 343s from LHR and two of them unexpected when using up valuable miles) [:(!]

Isn't the PHC flight still 343 in the old config? Plus if they put a 343 on almost any of the LGW flights they would be a couple of hundred Y seats short.
#83442 by Jetstreamer
07 Nov 2005, 23:23

It's got something to do with the A343 will they or won't they stay in the fleet debate. At one point the A346s were going to be a replacement for the A343s however the airline then entered another period of expansion so the decision was made to hang onto the A343s for a while longer.

The last non UCS A343 is due to leave the fleet by December 2006.
#83443 by Jetstreamer
07 Nov 2005, 23:26
Originally posted by ade99
Isn't the PHC flight still 343 in the old config? Plus if they put a 343 on almost any of the LGW flights they would be a couple of hundred Y seats short.

Yes the PHC flights are operated by a non UCS A343. This service is due to finish in mid January 2006.
Virgin Atlantic