This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8756 by penlanspice
05 Nov 2005, 11:15
I called VS the other day about getting upgraded to PE, the guy told me that we could do it at checkin on our tickets (we have x tickets). He looked up our booking and he said that was fine. Now I have been looking on the Virgin web site today and it states you can only have a upgrade on (W,S,Y,B,L,M) tickets. Does this mean we can-not upgrade?

Sam
#83325 by robandgill
05 Nov 2005, 12:02
I fear all the gurus are busy with blue drinks in the Clubhouse

Not being an expert on this, I suspect that with an X class ticket, if you upgrade at the airport you will be asked to pay the cash difference between an X fare and upgradeable economy fare (Y,B,L,M) before then upgrading (cash or miles) to a PE fare.

There is no guarantee though that there will be availability at the airport when you get there.

Robert
#83333 by preiffer
05 Nov 2005, 15:46
Originally posted by robandgill
Not being an expert on this, I suspect that with an X class ticket, if you upgrade at the airport you will be asked to pay the cash difference between an X fare and upgradeable economy fare (Y,B,L,M) before then upgrading (cash or miles) to a PE fare.

There is no guarantee though that there will be availability at the airport when you get there.
Bingo [y]

An X ticket is not upgradeable in advance of the day of travel, using miles.

What you've been offered is one of two things:

1) An "airport special". Subject to availability, the airport can offer discounted (cash) upgrades to the next cabin (at around 200-400 quid each way, depending on the day) that can be purchased at the airport. The price is completely irrespective of the fare code you paid for - it's the same for everyone.

2) To pay the difference between an X and an L/B/Y. This will run at around 50-250 quid depending on the season and availability of the next class (not sure if they try and apply any change fee to do this). They will then allow you to upgrade with miles from that point at 10k per sector. The original amount you paid, however, remains non refundable (so it doesn't buy you a strictly flexible ticket)

(Already in the US, so no CH blue drinks for me...)
#83337 by xenole
05 Nov 2005, 17:22
By cash I assume you mean paper money rather than a debit card or whatever? And do people generally wander around with up to £400 (each)in their pockets on the off chance they can pay for an upgrade?
What's the situation if you're in say the US......do you have to pay an equivalent amount in US $?
#83338 by Kryten
05 Nov 2005, 17:30
Originally posted by xenole
By cash I assume you mean paper money rather than a debit card or whatever? And do people generally wander around with up to £400 (each)in their pockets on the off chance they can pay for an upgrade?
What's the situation if you're in say the US......do you have to pay an equivalent amount in US $?

They take CC/DC on ticket changes. The last time I tried was LHR - DEL and it was 109GBP + 20k miles for a PE to UC change (from K class ticket). The same applies in the US, they will take your CC for these fees.
#83348 by Virgin Lover
05 Nov 2005, 21:50
Hi,

It is worth noting that on more than one occasion I have been requested to pay the difference between a non-upgradabe ticket and an upgradable fare code, in addition to the $450 to then upgrade to PE at check-in. It all depends on how desperate they are to upgrade people.

On another occasion I was upgraded for £200, from a non-upgradable ticket.

My advice would be to get to check in early and ask at the VS ticket desk first prior to joining the queue for checkin. If you ask at checkin the agent will still have to call the ticket desk and you will probrably have to go back there to pay anyway.

Hope this helps.

Neil.
#83351 by robandgill
05 Nov 2005, 22:48
Originally posted by xenole

No sorry for the confusion, by cash I meant currency by any means cash, credit card, debit card etc rather than miles.

robert
Virgin Atlantic