This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8776 by catsilversword
08 Nov 2005, 06:55
Just booked some flights - PE out and UP back, using miles plus cash - I notice that there is no seat allocation, and my confirmation states that it 'isn't available at this time'. Is it really unavailable or just not available because I've used miles plus money to book? Anyone out there know? When I've booked in the past, using filthy lucre only, the seating plan has always been there to change my seats.
#83478 by bostonbrit
08 Nov 2005, 14:45
It's most likely that there's a problem with the web site for that flight, like it doesn't have the data or can't access it. Sometimes, the flight might be oversold, so no specific seat can be assigned. Also, a couple of seats are held back for airport allocation too, which means you can only get those seats when you check in. I wouldn't worry too much and would keep on checking...
#83483 by catsilversword
08 Nov 2005, 15:12
Originally posted by bostonbrit
It's most likely that there's a problem with the web site for that flight, like it doesn't have the data or can't access it. Sometimes, the flight might be oversold, so no specific seat can be assigned. Also, a couple of seats are held back for airport allocation too, which means you can only get those seats when you check in. I wouldn't worry too much and would keep on checking...

Er - that's less than reassuring! Do they oversell flights for PE and UC?????
#83506 by slinky09
08 Nov 2005, 20:31
If you have a preference, and see the comments on V-Flyer, then I'd suggest you phone and request a specific reservation.

I've found the seat plan can be invisible because of either web site problems or change of aircraft and that if you wait a day or two something comes up. Also, have you got the reservation number and all details with your confirmation to access it?

And yes, Virgin like all major carriers over book because they calculate very precisely the likely load on the basis that a per cent of people with flexible tickets rearrange at the last minute. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and people are bumped. I've always found this practice rather mediocre but they say it's important.

PE in particular is a very popular class on all routes. I've often found that with a flexible PE ticket there's a reasonable chance of an upgrade for this reason (helps if you're gold though).
#83766 by catsilversword
11 Nov 2005, 16:15
Originally posted by slinky09
If you have a preference, and see the comments on V-Flyer, then I'd suggest you phone and request a specific reservation.

I've found the seat plan can be invisible because of either web site problems or change of aircraft and that if you wait a day or two something comes up. Also, have you got the reservation number and all details with your confirmation to access it?

And yes, Virgin like all major carriers over book because they calculate very precisely the likely load on the basis that a per cent of people with flexible tickets rearrange at the last minute. Of course sometimes that doesn't work and people are bumped. I've always found this practice rather mediocre but they say it's important.

PE in particular is a very popular class on all routes. I've often found that with a flexible PE ticket there's a reasonable chance of an upgrade for this reason (helps if you're gold though).

Thanks folks. I did email Virgin (amazing how they're one of the few companies whose customer services actually bother to mail you back quickly - am constantly impressed) - they told me my confirmation number and that I would be able to do my seats. Hmmm - I already HAD my confirmation number, but went and treid again and it worked that time. So - maybe a bug in the system? Who knows? Notme, that's for sure....[:0]
#83770 by Scrooge
11 Nov 2005, 16:30
Originally posted by slinky09

Just as a note,JetBlue does not overbook,they've figured out that the vast majority of peole don't like getting bumped[y]
#83776 by Nottingham Nick
11 Nov 2005, 17:24
Originally posted by jetwet1

Just as a note,JetBlue does not overbook,they've figured out thatthe vast majority of peole don't like getting bumped[y]
[/quote]

I don't mind.... IF the price is right :D:D

Nick
Virgin Atlantic