This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#9037 by rapariga
21 Nov 2005, 15:56
It seems to me that I have seen a website that showed on-time statistics for specific flights, but I haven't been able to find it again. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I leave for Vienna via London on Thursday and I'm becoming a bit worried about making my connections at Heathrow. I have almost four hours between flights in both directions and thought that would give me plenty of time, but winter weather seems to be approaching and the prospect of delays seems real....[?] In addition, this morning's newscasts reported that the New York airports' on-time statistics are dreadful.

Any encouraging words would be most welcome.

Thanks.

rapariga
#85205 by Littlejohn
21 Nov 2005, 16:02
I've not heard of the on-time stats website I am afraid. However, 4 hours seems very secure. It seems to me that if you are going to miss your connection then you would have to be at least 3 hours late - this is pretty unlikely. It is pretty rare for major LHR or LGW to have really major weather problems - and past stats probably wouldn't guide you there anyway. A few questions may help other more knowledgable posters to answer your question more accurately. Is it LHR or LGW you are changing at, and do you need to change terminals? Where are you coming from? Is it all one airline, and were your tickets bought as a single through ticket? If the last is the case then they will know you have a connection to make.

The other thing that comes to mind is that you have loads of airlines and flights doing the LHR/LGW - VIE run. So even if you miss your connection there is a really good chance you will be on a flight soon after.

A little more detail will let everyone home in on really reassuring words!
#85220 by preiffer
21 Nov 2005, 19:00
Hmm.

Not great for UK airlines/airports, but if anyone's interested in the US stats, here's the site
#85233 by rapariga
21 Nov 2005, 20:34
Thank you, sailor99 and Paul.

I fly JFK to LHR on VS004, arriving at 07:10, Terminal 3. The LHR - VIE flight is BA700, leaving at 10:55 from Terminal 4. On the return I fly BA903 from Frankfurt to LHR, arriving at 12:05, Terminal 1. My next flight is VS001 to EWR, leaving from Zone A, Terminal 3, at 16:00. Unfortunately, I have separate tickets for the Virgin and BA flights and I understand that I can't check my luggage through.

Sorry I didn't think to give that information in my original query.

rapariga:)
#85234 by DavidM
21 Nov 2005, 20:53
On those timings you are unlikely to miss the connection and the likelihood is that you will have plenty of time to kick your heels, even after changing terminals. The biggest risk is if you are flying in Upper Class on VS4, in which case you might enjoy revivals so much you forget your next flight. :D

Now, what really fascinates me is what question Paul is answering on this thread (noting that I'm not talking to him, 'cos he was quicker on the draw than me on a crucial FT question [:I])

Best wishes

David
#85241 by honey lamb
21 Nov 2005, 21:10
Originally posted by rapariga
Thank you, sailor99 and Paul.

I fly JFK to LHR on VS004, arriving at 07:10, Terminal 3. The LHR - VIE flight is BA700, leaving at 10:55 from Terminal 4. On the return I fly BA903 from Frankfurt to LHR, arriving at 12:05, Terminal 1. My next flight is VS001 to EWR, leaving from Zone A, Terminal 3, at 16:00. Unfortunately, I have separate tickets for the Virgin and BA flights and I understand that I can't check my luggage through.

Sorry I didn't think to give that information in my original query.

rapariga:)

I've often arrived on VS4 and caught a connecting EI flight at 9:55 from T1 and also arrived on an EI flight at 1:30 for the VS1 to EWR. It's never been a problem
Virgin Atlantic