This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#941 by jilly
20 Apr 2004, 13:21
Hi everyone. can anyone out there tell me if it is possible to upgrade OW from econ to PE with FF miles on a VH booking or if not done now can it possibly be done at the airport.

thanx
Jilly
#29580 by Pete
20 Apr 2004, 13:54
Not possible in advance since VH use discounted fare codes. However, if the flight is looking a bit tight, then you may be able to do an airport upgrade.

Pix
#29583 by jaguarpig
20 Apr 2004, 14:27
You are probably better getting in touch with VH and asking them to upgrade you one way for their advertised supplement they are not that bad.Unless you are willing to risk it at check-in.
#29587 by jilly
20 Apr 2004, 15:06
thanx for the advice even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Only booked this last minute break to UVF last night and managed to persuade my partner to pay for the upgrade inbound but my powers of persuasion were limited on the outbound sector. Looks like there are only 3 seats left in PE outward so me thinks I'll either have to pay up or shut up!

Jilly
#29593 by Nottingham Nick
20 Apr 2004, 16:48
Jilly

VH seem to be offering some really cheap Economy - PE upgrades, it must be worth giving them a bell and getting their best offer.

Nick
#29608 by Matt
20 Apr 2004, 17:50
Jilly,

I always try at the Sales Desk on the day of departure to see if I can wangle an upgrade using miles when travelling with VH and it never works[:(!]

However, I've also requested to pay for the upgrade and they do offer better prices than VH if seats are available.

The other alternative (as happened to me in Feb)is to check at the ticket desk about an upgrade with miles. If they don't allow it, then ask at check-in about an operational upgrade if available. Worked for me PE to full UC. No extra pennies spent, and still held on to the miles[^][^]

They should have taken my first offer:D:D

Matt
#29621 by RichardMannion
20 Apr 2004, 20:26
Yes.

a) Phone VH and pay the discounted revenue upgrade fees

b) Ask on the day - yes the flight may only show 3 seats free, but remember its sold on its flexibility too. I ve changed my PE flights for business on a number of occasions with ease. Regularly see it oversold by 4 too.

c) They will be more than happy to relieve you of cash for an upgrade on the day if there is space, miles on the otherhand is a little bit more tricky. I've only managed it once.

Thanks,
Richard
#29651 by jilly
20 Apr 2004, 21:58
Richard you've got me convinced to pay - but I am a pushover.

VH now showing no seats in any class - although VA shows some availability - is it still possible to pay thru' VH?

My only problem now is to convince the banker! Now if he was at home I wouldn't be typing this and all would be solved but 100 miles away its more difficult!

Thanx again
#29658 by RichardMannion
20 Apr 2004, 22:50
You would need to phone VH to check - if there are only a few seats left with VS itself they will all be full fare (W) seats, so it is highly unlikely that VH will be able to offer any further seats at their discounted upgrade price.

Best thing you can do is now ask on the day, if the plane is full the upgrade price is likely to be discounted down as they would rather take some amount of money than be forced to do operational (free) upgrades, this is where you could also offer to use miles.

The thign I forgot to mention in my earlier post, was that the normal typical mileage upgrade are only available to the top 3 tiers of booking class for Economy (L, B and Y) as they don't really want peopel buying ultra-cheap N,X, Q etc fares and then using a bargain 10,000 miles to shift into PE.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic