For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1043 by Autopilot
27 Apr 2004, 23:30
Hi,

Any thoughts or advice on the following... I'm off on the VS7 in July and returning on the VS4 in September. The nature of my journey is a 10 weeks roadtrp across the U.S.

Does anyone have any advice on the best and the cheapest way to access my money while travelling? I have Plat/B'card Visa and Mastercard. Trouble is, these cards cost alot to use abroad (2.75% commission) Any views on the Nationwide Classic Visa, apparently doesn't charge for use abroad?

Also is it possible to overpay on a credit card therefore increasing the credit limit and accessing my savings that way? That way with the Nationwide Visa I could get to my money wthout having to pay any charges...

Any advice on which card/s to take or the best way to take my money with me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Autopilot...
#30427 by AlanA
27 Apr 2004, 23:35
If you have money in your current account, you can use your Meastro/Cirrus card in the ATM (Cashpoints) akll over the USA
#30433 by The_Banking_Scot
28 Apr 2004, 00:01
Hi,

Travellers cheques (US$) might be useful ( small deonominations like $20,$50). I have never had a problem with T/Cs.

I'm not sure about overpaying your c/c but as soom as you withdraw cas on many cards interest is applied from the date of withdrawl I think. With your length of trip it is possible you may miss at least one payment cycle ( unless you post a cheque) and penalty charges may apply.

Regards

TBS
#30441 by Decker
28 Apr 2004, 07:33
Per AlanA we just take a couple of hundred dollars cash and use ATMs (or MACs as they're sometimes referred to) the rest of the time. They're pretty ubiquitous. Perhaps take out a low cost personal loan, top up your current account, then pay off on return?
#30444 by TJ
28 Apr 2004, 09:59
Take the bulk of your money in Amex trevellers cheques.

As for accessing money abroad, as has already been said, you should be able to use your debit card in ATMs as normal. I have a Visa/Delta debit card (Lloyds TSB) so have no probs with any ATMs. I assume Switch/Maestro is no different.

With regards to overpaying a credit card, it is possible as I did it with my Lloyds TSB Plat credit card. It'll just show up that your card is in extra credit by whatever amount you've boosted it by.

Unfortunately you can't charge the credit card company interest for cards in extra credit ;)
#30451 by mcuth
28 Apr 2004, 11:08
Personally, the only time I ever change any money over to USD before I go is when I'm going to MCO - even then I only change around £50 into small bills, and that's only because of the toll roads on the way up to Lake Mary :)

I rarely use cash to be honest - since you can pay for just about everything on plastic over there, including bar tabs, I use a combination of cards to pay for goods (no cash advance charges!), with my AMEX charge card leading the way (more FC miles :D).

You should be able to overpay and have that money available, but it's probably cheaper to leave the money in your current account and pay off the amount spent when the bill arrives (avoids interest charges) - after all, that's what a credit card's for, right? :)

BTW, make sure that your cards are properly insured and you have the contact details to hand, just in case......

Cheers

Michael
#30463 by jaguarpig
28 Apr 2004, 12:45
I always take $200 cash for taxis, tips and emergency but like Michael says you can pay for almost anything on plastic in the States.I use the Amex charge card to take cash out if needed and I have deposited money on that account before long trips as I new I would miss the payments,these trips were 10 years ago before you could settle accounts online.
#30482 by mitchja
28 Apr 2004, 14:32
I usually take small amount in cash and TC's but also use my Visa Debit card - it does not cost much extra to withdraw cash + can also use the card anywhere the VISA sign is posted (ie virtually every where). My bank used to issue Switch cards but have recently changed to Visa Delta cards now on current accounts which I find much easier to use abroad.

Usually pay for hotels on my VS M/C though.

The $650 I won in Vegas on a Wheel of Fortune slot machine did come in handy though to go towards paying for my Ceasars Palace hotel bill!!!! With the current exchange rate there's little point in bringing any $'s back with you.

Regards
#30488 by jaguarpig
28 Apr 2004, 15:15
quote:The $650 I won in Vegas on a Wheel of Fortune slot machine

nice one:)
#30495 by onionz
28 Apr 2004, 16:31
I like that machine - a very helpful Cuban in the Luxor suggested I try it, and i hit $500. And he offered me some Havana cigars, which aren't so easy to get hold of in America. I declined..:)
#30505 by Nottingham Nick
28 Apr 2004, 17:45
Haven't taken any TCs for years - everything goes on Virgin MC and if I need more cash I use the ATMs with my NatWest servicetill card.

My mastercard is paid in full by direct debit every month, so if I was going on a long trip I would have to make sure there was plenty of money in my current account to cover the bill.

I hate paying bank charges / interest in any form - an ATM fee is as much as I am prepared to accept :)

Nick
Virgin Atlantic