For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#35297 by buns
03 Jul 2004, 13:07
TJ

They look pretty real to me - i have one in front of me (which i have never used) and i certainly would not pay what is being asked for.

Buns
#35307 by Nottingham Nick
03 Jul 2004, 15:33
I still have some from when I had Amex Plat, they are not personalised in the way Pix does the V-Flyer ones.

I will hang on to them, if the opening bid is 22 euro:D:D

It is one thing asking 22 euro - I will be interested to see if anyone is prepared to pay it!

Nick
#35407 by RichardMannion
04 Jul 2004, 23:00
Mmm, Now I have quite a few of those still, and a few of the sealed Travel Packs that they are part of.

Now what do you think the Centurion versions would fetch - I have plenty of those (tags and packs) too.

Not that I would sell Centurion stuff!:)

Thanks,
Richard
#35612 by Decker
07 Jul 2004, 13:10
Always happy to help a fellow v-flyer Richard... Mrs D found this
#35636 by mitchja
07 Jul 2004, 15:52
£41.00 - I dont think so!!!!!!!
#35666 by RichardMannion
07 Jul 2004, 20:00
That really does take the biscuit - its a piece of plastic!

£41 for one tag - I best watch my luggage carefully next time its on a luggage belt, and if I see any tags on there that have 'Ricahrd Mannion' on them.......[:0]

Thanks,
Richard
#35668 by Nottingham Nick
07 Jul 2004, 20:34
No one bid for the Amex Plat tags, but the Centurian one looks very popular.

I am with mitchja - £41 ???????

Nick
#35674 by RichardMannion
07 Jul 2004, 21:00
So what do you think I'd get for:-

A complete sealed Travel Pack with 2 luggage tags?
Centurion Lifestyle Magazines?
Centurion Preview event brochures?
An actual old expired Centurion card?
The Centurion Welcome Pack with Velevet Card holder?
The Centurion Card Reader/Calculator?
The Centurion Guidebook of Benefits?

I think I could quite easily cover my annual fee - not that I would be that sad to sell them!

Thanks,
Richard
#35676 by Palsgraf948
07 Jul 2004, 23:26
Richard ...

I expect you'ld get a rather large amount for that package ... and it just might really cover your annual fee. *chuckle*

As I'm sure you know, those of us here in the US have no way of actually applying for a Centurion Card. I've been told (but will probably never have the opportunity to confirm) that in the US one will not even be offered (by AMEX) the chance to be granted a Centurion Card unless the average monthly spending on their Platinum Card exceeds US$10,000 for a five year period.

I've had my Platinum Card seemingly "forever" ... the date shows issued in 1970 ... but I suspect that unless I win a VERY big lottery I won't get the chance to sample Centurion. I'll just have to make do with the occasional "Upper Class Suite" to give me a taste. :D

Jim McDonald
Palsgraf948
#35677 by RichardMannion
08 Jul 2004, 01:45
Actually in the US its far simpler to get the card than in the US, you just have to spend $150k within a 12 month period and they will happily relieve you of $2500/year for a card.

In the UK the criteria are not quite so straight-forward! All I know for sure is that I don't fit the typical profile of a UK Centurion Card member :)

Benefit package for the US Card is somewhat different than the UK.

Thanks,
Richard
#35697 by Decker
08 Jul 2004, 08:25
I don't know Richard, I'm sure you're not the only MS employee with a Centurion card. Bill must have one surely? [:o)]

Oh - the age thing you mean :D;)
#36014 by mitchja
12 Jul 2004, 16:56
The Centurion tag finally went for £46.50....Crazy [:p] [:p]

Regards
#36132 by vssyd123
13 Jul 2004, 15:18
WOW I am RICH!!!!
I just received my Centurion pack today and there are 2 tags in it. I actually asked the Concierge for more tags and she said another 4 will be in the courier run tommorow!
I still have a whole stack of Platinum ones left!!!

The pretty much just give it to members @ Request.

Sometime I really don't understand why people actually pay for these things on E-Bay?
#36134 by vssyd123
13 Jul 2004, 15:24
Just to confirm, from looking at the pictures those tags are the real ones. But of-course I cannot see it and feel it so hard to day.

The actual strap should be a high quality leather with Chrome Fittings.

Yeah I also have the FIRST australian edition of the Centurion Magazine and also the special BLACK BOX (it is made of bedar wood) with the invitation card and introduction guide etc......

Also I have a copy of the SLH Centurion guide and the Fine hotel and resorts guide 2004 (Centurion version)

How much will I fetch?

Wow I must keep these stuff rather than throwing it in the bin!!! I never knew these things actually cost that much!
#36167 by HelenF
13 Jul 2004, 17:57
The only reason I can think of for people paying for these things (unless they're collectors) is that they think it gives them and their luggage a certain cachet. Personally I'm happy for my bags not to stand out too much, rather than attaching a sign which suggests there might be something worth stealing inside.
#36192 by TJ
13 Jul 2004, 20:07
I'd never pay for that sort of thing on eBay, Centurion or not!

I'm happy with my Black V-Flyer tags! :)

If you don't have Amex Plat or Centurion, it seems a bit sad to pay quite a lot of money for a few bits of plastic so that you can pretend.

Oh well! There are obviously people out there (judging by that Centurion eBay auction) that would disagree with me! :D
#36220 by RichardMannion
13 Jul 2004, 22:15
quote:Originally posted by Decker
I don't know Richard, I'm sure you're not the only MS employee with a Centurion card. Bill must have one surely? [:o)]

Oh - the age thing you mean :D;)

I know at least 5 of us at Campus with the cards - some are more recent members though ;) Like I said before, always intersting when people pull out their Platinum cards to pay for a dinner.... :D

Thanks,
Richard
#36373 by Wolves27
15 Jul 2004, 10:26
I like to use my AMEX Plat as much as I can and, whilst not Centurion it still feels nice handing it over. But now I have the FCCC its really hard to justify when I can get extra miles.

Think I'll keep it for the concierge and booking into the upgradeable hotels..

Dean
Virgin Atlantic