For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#35789 by stevendq
09 Jul 2004, 08:16
I have had the pleasure.. Flew out with them to Toronto, and back with them from Vancouver (both connecting in Detroit)

What class are you in and equipment?

I was in Economy on a nice old DC-10.. Aircraft was ok just a tad (well ok very) on the noisy side. Seats arent particulary comfortable, esp if you are on a window seat as the wall is quite flat so they jam the seats against them as much as they can which makes it feel a little tight.

IFE is a projector at the front of the cabin, ok its not V:Port but it kept me entertained (until people stand around the cabin without realising they are restricting others view[}:)]).

Service on board was also fine, much better than I had expected infact. Friendly enough crew, food not bad etc.

NWA have a bit of a bad reputation, and so I had set myself up for the worst, when infact they were "ok" all the way. Nothing to shout about, but also no cause for complaint.

Theres a summary, if there are any specifics i'll do my best;)
#35791 by Jonathan
09 Jul 2004, 08:57
I've only flown NW once and that was over ten years ago!

I was flying from LHR to MSP and onwards to LAX

The flight was OK not virgin but OK!!

I think they partner with KLM for millage etc
#35811 by Vslf
09 Jul 2004, 11:08
Used NW a few times in the last three or four years (Y & J), used to go to MSP a lot and that's their main hub. Domestic US they were awful, the equipment is pretty tired and they have the rudest staff, customers appear to be an inconvenience. Longhaul, equipment is still old, but the staff are generally a bit more pleasant.

They have a long history of poor industrial relations and have a reputation in MSP of treating staff like $hit. Certainly reflected in the staff attitude in my experience.

Having said that, like any airline (inclusing VS) it depends on the crew you get, but your chances of an enjoyable experience with NW are lower than with any other airline I've flown with.

VSlf
#35831 by jaguarpig
09 Jul 2004, 12:56
My daughter flew with them at easter and said it was ok nothing special, but all 4 flights were bang on time.
#35986 by pegitt
12 Jul 2004, 02:14
Hmm cheers guy's i may go for the delta flight insted
#40482 by mcjock
05 Sep 2004, 20:32
Bit late to this post (having just joined) but will give my experiences anyway.

I have only flown on Northwest once just over 2 years ago. I flew from London to detroit then on to Seattle. Travelling economy.

This was a very cheap flight - 250 pounds including tax to Seattle!
The seats were OK.
The flight was very late taking off - apparantly they had miscalculated the fuel and we had to get rid of some before we took off - hence it was 1 hour 50mins after boarding when we took off[:(!]

In flight was pretty poor - the flight was only 2/3 full and at one point one of the flight attendents asked myself and my travelling partner to keep the noise down as she was trying to have a small sleep in some spare seats [:0]

The leg from Detroit to Seattle had probably the worst service I have ever experienced on a flight of > 3 hours!!!

In summary, NorthWest were the worst transatlantic experience I have had - compared to Virgin, BA, United, US Airways and Air Canada.

cheers
mcjock
#40635 by pegitt
07 Sep 2004, 02:29
Well i have decided to pay the extra with my own cash and fly VS so i'm happy:D

Cheers

Phil
Virgin Atlantic