For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1942 by tinx 02
20 Jul 2004, 17:38
I know this isnt an EK forum & i send my apologies if this thread offends anyone, but im struggling to find any info at all about their IFE, seats,aircraft & the service i will get whilst on board.Im flying to Bangkok in a couple of weeks from Manchester via dubai & would be interested to hear from any one on V-Flyer if they have flown with them. All comments good or bad will be greatly received

Tink.
#37113 by Elwood
20 Jul 2004, 19:44
Hi tinx 02

Also check out emirates.com which has details of which type of aircraft are normally used for each service together with seat plans etc.

As a former frequent flyer in EK J class I also added some comments to previous thread about J & F classes - http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1280. Have never flown Y on EK but gather it is up to scratch with I believe 34" seat pitch.

The forward facing camera is great and I endorse comments on other thread about possible improvements on VS - they should definitely get these. If you're arriving in DXB during the hours of darkness check out the huge strobing arrow pointing to the runway threshold. Looks like something out of a very large fairground!
#37138 by paddyc
21 Jul 2004, 01:09
I flew with EK 2 weeks ago LHR-DXB-LHR in J class. I found the service, food, IFE all to be excellent. The J class seat is a bit dated but very comfortable nevertheless. The business lounge in Dubai is very good with plenty hot food, sandwiches and nibbles.
Although I haven't flown economy with EK a colleague of mine did the previous week and his opinion was that the food and service were very good, the leg-room he felt was much the same as any other airline (eg approx 31/32")
Personally, I would have no issues in flying with them again.
#37139 by vssyd123
21 Jul 2004, 06:18
I've being told that EK's Y Class is pretty ordinary. Especially on the 777 (they pack 3/4/3 on each row contray to industry standard = 3/3/3). Also in J Class the seats are pretty......
#37140 by sky0000547
21 Jul 2004, 08:57
Hi Tinx

I am currently in Melbourne after flying out on EK 772 and A345 LHR-DXB-MEL.

The 772 in 'Y' is certainly 3-4-3 seating with touch screen seat back IFE similar to that of VS Arcadia system. You will also get a footrest like the ones on a coach. The cabin crew is OK but not as attentive than the VS crew. The crews are multi-national. The food is pretty good and plenty. Some mentioned the seat pitch being 34" but it feels more like 32" but definitely more legroom than VS.

The A345 is a very similar aircraft to VS A346. It has AVOD IFE (called 'ICE') again very similar to VS V:Port. It appeared to have a wider choice of music albums than V:Port but I find it easier to navigate on V:Port than ICE. There is a problem having your meal when the person in front fully inclined his/her seat. The 'Y' seat in the A345 is extremely uncomfortable. The armrest appeared to be very low down.

Both the 772 and A345 have an onboard camera at the nose and belly of the aircraft where you can watch the action of take-off, cruise and landing on your very own seat back TV.

Dubai airport is very modern and up to date. Maybe not as many shops as LHR or even MAN but plenty of duty free shops all centred in the middle of the departure lounge.

I will be coming back to UK (MEL-SIN-DXB-LHR) on EK 773 and 772 on a 26 hours trip in 3 weeks time and so I can try out EK 773.

Happy Flying [8D]
#37200 by Nottingham Nick
21 Jul 2004, 18:52
Sorry for the pedantic bit of housekeeping - I have just moved the thread from General Topics in the Virgin Atlantic section to 'Other Airlines'

The original post has not been altered in any way.

Nick
#37212 by Elwood
21 Jul 2004, 20:45
And I forgot to mention in my previous post, the best bit, the absolutely unmatchable by any other airline bit, about flying Emirates is that they have Chelsea TV as one of the channels on the IFE!:D
#37241 by VRN
22 Jul 2004, 08:50
We flew to Dubai on EK last month. This was a special family occasion so we flew in F. Although a lot of the posts on the Emirates board dismissed F as outdated and not up to other airlines F services we still enjoyed the experience. There were only 12 seats in the Airbus F cabin and the seat pitch was 79 inches. The seats themseleves were like the old pre J2000 type which were quite comfortable. We were flying datime both ways so didnt need to sleep in them.

The food service was very good and in my opinion better than Virgin's freedom menu.

The F Lounge in Dubai was also excellent with comfortable seating and plenty of food. Bedrooms were also available in the lounge.!

Best part of all was the fact that as we had booked through Emirates tours with hotels included, the airfares themselves worked out to the same price as Upper Class Z fare for an equivalent 7 hour flight

Would definately fly them again
Virgin Atlantic