For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#37742 by stephen
29 Jul 2004, 15:55
Very interesting, I try not to tell anyone that we travel PE or UC as they all think me mad or stupid! But I love it so much I cant keep my trap shut telling them all about virgin. Yawn Yawn. However i believe that untill you try premium class you dont know what you are missing and most of my friends are too tight to pay (we all have little people). Plus my daughter is now 12 so full fare!!!!!! We only travel in UC or PE because we once had an opup from JFK to LHR from E to PE so then we always flew PE. Last year we were opup PE to UC both ways ANU to LGW and now only fly UC (thanx to FC and working hard). Our friends upgraded to PE on their last flight to ANU as we told them they had to try it, they are now hooked. So if we had never been opuped then I think we would still be in E but now i am an UC junkie and cant get enough of it. So VS those upgrades worked you converted me. As for the left right test well.......
I thought i was Economic right and social authoritarian
But now i know i am not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#37743 by Jonathan
29 Jul 2004, 16:07
Op Upgrades are rather like giving non smokers free cigarettes!
(OK not bad for your health but very addictive!):D
I'm sure VS must keep stats on people they upgrade and their flying prefs before and after..
It would be interesting to see how many pay for PE/UC after an op upgrade?
#37744 by stephen
29 Jul 2004, 16:21
Well it worked on me, have paid for 8 return flights in PE and so far 2 return in UC plus two Free UC with FC miles. VS should have had 4 more returns but i booked them in NCW to ANU when FC said they would not keep me silver in august 04, so i am going red!!!!!!!!!!! and VS have missed out on 4 UC paid seats on the B&S route to ANU.
#37745 by Jonathan
29 Jul 2004, 17:18
If your flying PE upwards anyway Silver has very few benefits
Gold on the other hand:D
#37747 by stephen
29 Jul 2004, 17:46
Thats what I thought so red is fine by me, just got a bit miffed by their attitude which was wrong of me. so as i have said before i threw my toys out of the pram and booked NCW but now have big regrets as UCS should be fitted to the LGW fleet by next march. We are all kids at heart boo boo boo[^]
#37748 by Ardbroilach
29 Jul 2004, 18:05
I didn't note down the figures but, like almost everyone else on this thread, I am apparently Economic Left and Social Libertarian (near Gandhi).

I do remember discussions with Mrs M where we reasoned that we would rather spend the extra £1-£1.5K each on the holiday than in the air. Then we got a good deal on LGW-MIA in PE in 2002 and last year we flew in BA NCW to get married and to return from honeymoon. After that, there really is no going back. Every short haul flight I take in Y reinforces the message, no matter whether it's low cost or flag carrier (same goes for hotels that I have to stay in for business versus hotels we book for holidays).

I may choose not to tell some of my friends/colleagues that we are flying UC, but that is probably because they have kids and no longer have the disposable income or flexibility that we still do. No point rubbing their noses in it after all.

As a previous poster said, the internet is a godsend for comparing prices and finding deals. Who can resist a J "bargain" of £2000 when the airline website shows the full fare as being £4800?
#37754 by Jonathan
29 Jul 2004, 18:59
I've only bought one J ticket
I prefer the excitement of possible upgrades (I usually buy W)

increased probability of upgrade is another AU advantage of course :):)

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

( a bit more of a liberal softie than I thought!)
Virgin Atlantic