For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2015 by rjd2709
27 Jul 2004, 15:24
I have to fly Air Jamaica Business Class to Montego Bay On business. (Shame) Does anybody know if theyare any good and what the lounge at Heathrow is like.

[moved to 'Airlines', as not VS-specific. Pix]
#37622 by Jonathan
27 Jul 2004, 18:30
Hi,
Never flown with them but can tell you you'll be one of 35 in Business on an A340

Theres a review of the Montego Bay lounge here

Cant find anything on LHR though..

You'll Earn 150% of miles flown and 2 TP per leg. assuming your a FC member
#37625 by Ardbroilach
27 Jul 2004, 19:05
Flew Air Jamaica in Business Class from JFK to St Lucia last Christmas Day. I There were only 4 or 5 rows on that flight so the transatlantic configuration must be different. Seats were wide and comfortable but did not recline that far. No seat-back screens either. Crew were friendly enough, if a little disorganised. We took off and landed on time so not complaints there and I got my miles and tier points through pretty quickly.
#37640 by Elwood
27 Jul 2004, 21:31
Our experiences with Air Jamaica are entirely negative. Flew with them once to MBJ about 8 years ago and both our outbound and inbound flights were cancelled and we had to fly a day late. Allegedly planes going tech but I understand from some frequent flyers that Air Jamaica is rumoured to cancel fights if they are signicantly undersold, consolidating pax onto next day's flight. The same thing happened to some friends on one leg last year.

J class accomodation was adequate, the food was good.

We go to Jamaica every couple of years - we know some people who live out there - and since the fiasco with Air Jamaica have used Mytravel 3 times - or Airtours as it was when we first used them - seat only, PE. This is a much maligned organisation particularly over its timekeeping and I have to say in its defence we have never been late from LGW - usually away from the gate early - and only delayed leaving MBJ due to circumstanmces beyond their control - security delays, off-loading baggage of pax who had been arrested trying to smuggle drugs etc.

Also they fly direct to MBJ - I believe Air Jamaica go via KIN one way? No miles or TPs of course though.
#37642 by Jonathan
27 Jul 2004, 21:58
Of course you could always fly VS to JFK and connect
If your company are paying it would be a great excuse to try the clubhouse and UCS?

I realise you'd be loosing a direct connection but you'd get access to the JFK,LHR clubhouse and LHR rivivals:D

just a thought..?
#37660 by HighFlyer
28 Jul 2004, 10:03
Id go with Jonathans idea!

Similarly, you could fly to Miami, or one of the Carribean destinations and catch an internal flight, At least you know what you will be getting for the main long-haul sector!
#37718 by Bazz
29 Jul 2004, 10:10
We did Air Jamaica to Cuba last year and if you didn't have to fly with them, I would certainly agree with the other posters, get a VS flight across the pond, pref to MIA and then get a local connection onward to Jamaica.
#37723 by Jonathan
29 Jul 2004, 11:02
quote:Originally posted by HighFlyer
Id go with Jonathans idea!

Similarly, you could fly to Miami

I was quoting JFK for the clubhouse/UCS..
I always used to fly MIA from LGW I keep forgeting its LHR now so more likely to have UCS:D

yeah go MIA probably more connections..
Virgin Atlantic