For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2209 by stevendq
17 Aug 2004, 21:04
Am off to Palma in September for some sailing.

Flying BMI all be it in Economy (No Discount J Fares Available). American Express Platinum gets us into the BMI Lounge regardless of class of travel. I understand its not going to be the clubhouse, but does any-one have any experience / comments of either the Lounge or BMI Service generally?

Thanks.

Steven
#38940 by mcuth
17 Aug 2004, 22:02
Hi Steven

I've only experienced the LHR BD lounge the once - it's not bad, but all self-service and there's no "real" food, just biscuits and that.
See my TR here :)

Cheers

Michael
#40476 by mcjock
05 Sep 2004, 19:34
Hi Steven,

you might have already taken your trip (if so hope you had a great time!).

Anyway, I have not used the BMI lounge in international departures but I think it is pretty similar to the one in domestic departures at LHR - which I have used many times.

I agree with Michael's comments - very limited food and all self service. They have a couple of TV's, the usual array of newspapers and a few magazines. The domestic departure lounge is quite large and its never too busy. Two different kinds of Red and White wine, 3 or 4 beers and basic Gin, Vodka and Whisky. Bottled water and soft drinks in a fridge and couple coffee machines.

Most of the BMI lounges are actually 2 lounges in 1. This is not at all obvious. There is a sign which says BMI business lounge AND the BMI Diamond Club lounge. The Diamond club lounge is actually upstairs from the normal business lounge at domestic LHR. Its not a lot different but has few more drink choices and things like cheese and biscuits - also quieter and less busy. There is also a small bar in addition to self service but no-one ever been on duty at the bar when I've been! You need a star alliance gold or above to get in - no AMEX or Virgin Gold will get you entrance.

In general I have always found BMI service to be pretty good on the flights - mind you only ever been on 1 or 2 hour flights.

cheers
Jock