For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#39430 by mcuth
25 Aug 2004, 09:54
This is the link directly to the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3596354.stm

Really sad news [:(]

(BTW, as this isn't VS related, I'll move it to the Travel Forum)

Cheers

Michael
#39437 by HighFlyer
25 Aug 2004, 10:22
Saw it on the news today [:(]

Very sad, my thoughts go out to the families of those involved.
#39445 by Jonathan
25 Aug 2004, 10:42
the fact that both planes (of different types) went down within 40 mins does seem to suggest that these crashes may have been due to terrorism, time will tell i suppose..

Intestingly although 28 154's have crashed (up until 2001) only 2 were tech faults with the plane details here
#39447 by Bazz
25 Aug 2004, 10:52
They have recovered the Flight Recorders (Black Boxes) from both the aircraft so hopefully they will get a lead on what happened once they can examine them.

BBC reported that one of the planes activated a Terrorist Alarm shortly before being lost off radar, eye witnesses said there was a mid air explosion on one of the planes.

A very sad day for Russia and for the rest of the aviation world.
#39663 by Bazz
27 Aug 2004, 13:46
Black Boxes not proving to be very helpful.

From New York Times

Flight Recorders Little Aid in Russia Crashes
By STEVEN LEE MYERS

Published: August 27, 2004

MOSCOW, Aug. 26 - The flight recorders of two Russian airliners that crashed nearly simultaneously on Tuesday night were damaged and could provide little help in determining the cause of the twin disasters, which killed at least 89 people, senior Russian officials said Thursday.

One of the officials, Vladimir A. Yakovlev, President Vladimir V. Putin's envoy for Russia's southern federal district, said all signs suggested that Sibir Airlines Flight 1047 exploded as it flew toward Sochi on the Black Sea, sending a swath of debris to the ground near Rostov-on-Don, a city in the south. He stopped short of blaming a bomb for that explosion, though he did concede Thursday that the government's main theory "remains terrorism."

The second plane, Volga-AviaExpress Flight 1303, crashed near a village 100 miles south of Moscow at 10:56 p.m., the same time that Flight 1047's pilots activated an emergency alert indicating that their plane had been hijacked, a fact confirmed by officials on Thursday. Flight 1047 disappeared from radar screens less than a minute later, a chronology published on Thursday in the newspaper Kommersant said...

...Mr. Yakolev said the flight recorders might never determine the exact cause of either crash. "They switched themselves off immediately," he said in televised remarks. "And so we failed to get any information."

Other officials said the recorders had been damaged, which could delay, though not necessarily prevent, efforts to determine the cause. A spokesman for the Federal Security Service, the successor to the K.G.B., which has been put in charge of the investigation, said that investigators had not found evidence of explosives in the wreckage of either plane.

The full piece can be found here. To access this you have to take out a free subscription.
#39665 by iforres1
27 Aug 2004, 13:59
Just to add a bit more to Bazz piece, it has been reported here this am that traces of explosive have been found in the wreckage of the TU154 ex Sibir. Wreckage analysis shows both tail sectons haveing been seperated before crashing!.

If i here any more locally I will let you know.
#39669 by mcuth
27 Aug 2004, 14:06
Iain

That news is now on the BBC site, here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3604134.stm

Cheers

Michael
#39673 by Bazz
27 Aug 2004, 14:16
Iteresting piece Michael, nice graphic comparison of the two aircraft.
#39679 by iforres1
27 Aug 2004, 14:26
Working at the airport (DME) you get to hear a little bit more than what you get mainstream, especially here where they always try to cover up, even when they( goverment) are not at fault. Old habits I believe. Security at DME is very good even after baggage has been checked it is subject too both machine and dog checks for explosives. However just goes to show where there's a will!!!
Virgin Atlantic