For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2306 by Razza
26 Aug 2004, 11:43
Just seen the news on Yahoo, BA has cancelled yet more flights this morning. Says staff shortages so bad that all 11 directors will be working at Heathrow over the weekend.

Looking at the chaos this week and the very poor response from BA one has to wonder just how much longer they will last - would you book a flight with them unless there was no alternative?

VS must be delighted, I cannot think of any marketing strategy which would bring new customers as effectively as BA's management!

That's my 2p worth.
#39529 by stevendq
26 Aug 2004, 11:50
[}:)] Chuckle [}:)]

As much as I am a VS fan I wouldnt like to see our "flag" carier dissapear. Saying that Its a little annoying that an Australian is running the company. Privatised now so shouldnt grumble.

Also very ironic in light of their last advertising campaign saying how much better they are than lowcost, with one of the advantages being "more staff to help when things go wrong." At the moment they dont have enough staff to make things go right!

No doubt this will be helping VS out quite a bit. I remember when BA had their last strikes and VS took advantage of the situation by putting people on their flights. Of course this only works if its long haul destinations that VS fly to that are cancelled. All the same it must put people off wanting to fly BA in the future.

:)
#39556 by randalf
26 Aug 2004, 15:18
From various reports I've read, the staff shortages have been compounded by "co-ordinated sickies" being taken in response to the recent pay-deal that has been struck with its link to a reduction in absenteeism.

I've no inside knowledge, but I wonder if anyone closer to the industry could comment on the morale of staff from one carrier to the next. It appears that the BA's morale is somewhere in the basement and digging...
#39570 by Jonathan
26 Aug 2004, 18:03
BBC News link for those interested

It will be interesting to see if the directors turn up to work at the airport!!
#39577 by AlanA
26 Aug 2004, 19:00
Though I do not like the man, I thought Ryanair's advert in todays papers was quite funny:-

"Why fly Bungle Airways?" :D
Virgin Atlantic