For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2327 by shoreside
27 Aug 2004, 14:12
We have decided to visit the Mouse in Florida during December before the Christmas "rush"

We would prefer to stay in the Downtown Disney area and have narrowed it down to two hotels, with a possible third - the third one being the Grosvenor where we have stayed before and enjoyed. But have been reading recent reports about financial difficulties concerning this hotel, so am rather wary.

The other two hotels on our list are the Wyndham Resort and the Hilton.

Has anyone any recent reports on any of these hotels and also the current situation with the Grosvenor?

B.T.W Virgin are £10 less UC against NCW, not that BA came into our equation!

shoreside
#39700 by David
27 Aug 2004, 16:38
Have stayed at both the Hilton and the Wyndham at Downtown and both are very nice.

Managed to get an upgarde at the Wyndham to an "evergreen" room or something, which gave us a few extras, but it also had a fantastic view over downtown. The sunrise on your first morning is spectacular;). There's also a pretty good restuarant in the basement.

The Hilton was in March this year and again, we were upgraded. Another great hotel and difficult to choose from over the Wyndham, but the points at the Hilton would probably sway it again.

Check out http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com for some specials.

David :)
#39712 by shoreside
27 Aug 2004, 18:13
thanks for the info David and have taken it all onboard. the Grosvenor is offering great rates for a tower room with park view - but that be in desperation for a booking.

Seems when one reads "tripadvisor" they all look bad.

Have eaten in both Wyndham and Hilton and enjoyed experience at both.
Had thought of Swan/Dolphin but rather pricey and prefer location close to Pleasure Island. Also means one has option of getting the disney transport from Downtown to the parks rather than the hotel transport.

Will check out the website you gave me and make a final decision over the w/end. Thanks again for feed-back.

shoreside
#39721 by buns
27 Aug 2004, 20:53
Shoreside

Having stayed at the Wyndham, I would opt for that as one bonus is that it is a short walk across the rod to enter not only Downtown Disney but also gives you direct access to the Disney Buss Service which we found was more efficient that the buses that call at the Wyndham, Grovesnor etc.

Arthur's 27 is a truly excellent resturant.

One word of warning, the rooms in the tower block are a rather odd shape and you frequently get a room overlooking I4 rather than the Dinsey Parks.

Have a great time - Mrs Buns are thinking of a similar visit

Buns
#39753 by David
28 Aug 2004, 11:24
If you are thinking about "on property" hotels, have a look at http://www.mousesavers.com and click on the WDW link.

Never used them, but have heard they have some great discount codes/specials.

Ment to say that beginning of Dec is a great time to go to WDW. Usually quiet and some great deals at the outlets.

David
#40011 by The_Banking_Scot
31 Aug 2004, 19:57
Hi,

At Downtown Disney I stay at the Hilton.

It is a very nice hotel with two large swimming pools and a fitness center/ arcade and several restaurants.

It is just across the road from Downtown Disney.

Rooms are fine and bathrooms are fine also.

Now I am slightly biased( :D) as I'm hilton diamond so I have recived room upgrades to the executive level with lounge access ( free breakfast and evening snacks) and do not have to pay the ( optional resort fee of $9 per day- gives you free local calls/fitness center etc).

Plus of course 1000 VS miles!!

Another hotel would be the Starwood Swan/Dolphin ( walking distance to Epcot& MGM)

Regards

TBS
Virgin Atlantic