For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2383 by colbornjames
31 Aug 2004, 01:17
Hi.

As a Brit living in the US it's taken me a year or so to build up a credit card history and finally I'm eligable. Unfortunately I get about 5 or so requests to sign up each week now but I'm interested if anyone has a suggestion for the best credit card to get Virgin Airmiles in the US?

I have just applied for an AA card from Citibank (all seems to be going well) but that's for work as I fly as many AA miles as I can. For personal use I'd like to build up Virgin miles as coming back to the UK is nearly always a holiday (or vacation!!!)

Any advise would be most welcome.

James.
#39918 by Jonathan
31 Aug 2004, 04:26
Hi James,
According to the VS website
In the US only Diners and Amex are mile earning.

they both seem to work at 1 mile per $ I guess its worth looking for a special offer! as I know from time to time both amex and diners have them.
#41171 by colbornjames
14 Sep 2004, 14:33
Ouch! [B)] Just signed up for an AMEX Platinum and it's $380 a year! I thought I'd be getting Priority Pass but that's just for UK AMEX members [:(] Instead I have to use the airline lounges they choose plus I have to be travelling on the ticket of the lounge I choose (i.e. Delta if I'm flying on Delta!)

You do get 2for1 points which means if I put everything on my card I'll have enough miles for upgrades but that cost is dramatic! I wanted a charge card instead of a credit card and used thier 'find a card that suits you best' web service. I'm sure if I save up 40k miles and get the UC upgrade it'll be worth $4k and the $380 will be justified.

Word of warning... watch out for the AMEX Platinum!!!
#41228 by HelenF
15 Sep 2004, 12:35
The UK Amex Platinum costs £275 pa (c$480?). I suppose the amount that you travel and who you travel with determines whether the $100 saving makes up for the lack of Priority Pass. (PP Prestige Membership, which is essentially what you get with UK Pt, costs $399)