For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#261644 by aft1981
19 Dec 2009, 05:28
I was excited about the prospect of flying on Air France's new A380 from JFK-CDG tomorrow.

However, it was grounded at JFK on Monday night with a fuel tank issue. They flew it across to Paris on Tuesday with no passengers. Wednesday is its day off. It was supposed to fly Thursday, but was grounded again at CDG with issues with the slats. It didn't fly again today. Flightaware shows tomorrows (Sat) flight both from CDG and back again are going to be on a 777. I was allowed to check in and selected an extra legroom exit seat upstairs for 50Euros a few hours ago, but my reservation status is currently 'Waiting List'. No explanation as to what exactly that is, but I have a faint idea!

I'm currently (still) on hold with AF, nobody has picked up yet. I just want to know if there is any chance of me flying tomorrow. I have no clue what they are doing - when I picked my seat, it looks like the A380 was pretty full, no way everyone will fit on a 777. I'd just rather know, as the normal 90 minute drive to JFK is going to take significantly longer tomorrow as we're expecting a foot or more of snow, and high winds. Grr.

Anybody any ideas what AF have been doing this week, or what airlines in general do when they have 500+ people booked on a flight, and a plane that only holds 350?!

Also, not sure what's going on with this plane, they've only had it 4 weeks and already problems with navigation/autopilot, fuel tanks and now the slats. Wonder if they have a 'Lemon Law' for new planes?!