For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#882170 by Maximus
06 Sep 2014, 18:22
Yes.

You can hold both cards and get the full bonus points allowance.

I have done this myself.
#882173 by WPIL
06 Sep 2014, 18:55
At present they are doing an increased amount of miles for both Black and White cards (going to get 2 whites for an extra 22,000 already have the Black card.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/fl ... -card.html

Deadline to apply is the 31st October. When this hits I will be within touching distance of 300,000 miles needed for my next Barbados trip!
#882190 by dickydotcom
07 Sep 2014, 07:33
Many thanks to you both for the replies.
I'm still trying to work out the economics of it.
Certainly as a one off it pays. But in the long term I'm not sure I'm going to benefit.
Companion ticket: Current price to MCO of a full fare PE £1381
Current price cheapest PE £516 so x2 £1032 or £350 cheaper than using a companion ticket.
My preferred travel is Upper, buying Economy and upgrading on points. An upgrade voucher only goes to PE and can't be upgraded further so I don't think I'd use that either.

Questions: Does anyone use companion tickets and upgrade vouchers?
Is the Regus Gold membership worth having?

Dick D

Oops; Prices I've just quoted are for outbound only so it's even worse. £877 cheapest PE x2 £1754 against full fare one person £2502. Over £700 to use the companion ticket.
#882206 by DragonLady
07 Sep 2014, 12:34
[quote="dickydotcom"
Questions: Does anyone use companion tickets and upgrade vouchers?
Is the Regus Gold membership worth having?

Dick D

I've used the companion a couple of times - the last time being to SYD on an S fare ( when I upgraded my seat to UC with miles and the companion remained in PE :D )
I have used the upgrade voucher once - most of the vouchers I'v earned have gone unused.
I've now ditched all spending on my VS card and direct it through by Black BA Amex ( the 241 is far more beneficial to me in real terms).

DL
#882209 by WPIL
07 Sep 2014, 12:51
Have never used any of the vouchers that I have earned with the Black Card. I am also considering ditching all my Virgin Cards once I have reached the 300K needed for Barbados which is enough for 3 UC returns or 3 Ec to UC for 2 trips. Will be switching to BA with the Aim of collecting enough miles of the next couple of years for another Bajan trip in 2017 as well as any other trips, will need to do my research on the 241 and all the other mile earning possibilities. I guess I will be back to Virgin on 2019!!!!!
#882331 by Bretty
08 Sep 2014, 20:31
I have yet to use the companion and PE upgrade vouchers, but plan to as I bleed in' well earned them from the amount I've put through the card! As for the Regus membership, I have it but I don't use Rrgus, but it's nice as a standby. The retail value of the membership is approx £200 and you get the 2 complimentary vouchers for a meeting room and it gives access for member plus 1 to their lounges and then I think there is discount on meeting facilities (but not sure, as I say, I don't use Regus, but it's nice to have just in case).
#882460 by Barnaby100
09 Sep 2014, 20:42
We have 2 black and 2 white. never used companion or PE upgrades but the fact it is a mile earning VISA (as well as Amex) makes it worthwhile for us. We have a range of pure amex cards but a fair few places just don't accept AMEX.
#909017 by seany
24 Aug 2015, 23:55
Sorry to bump an old topic.

Just started using a black VS amex, and was wondering how/when the miles are credited....I am used to seeing a points total on the side of my gold amex account, but can't see anywhere on the VS card page that displays how many miles you have earned or have available?

Cheers
#909019 by dickydotcom
25 Aug 2015, 07:33
seany wrote:Sorry to bump an old topic.

Just started using a black VS amex, and was wondering how/when the miles are credited....I am used to seeing a points total on the side of my gold amex account, but can't see anywhere on the VS card page that displays how many miles you have earned or have available?

Cheers

Miles are credited each month when the bill is generated a couple of week before final payment date.
Dick D
#909032 by Eggtastico
25 Aug 2015, 14:29
dont forget about the £140 card fee & the massive APR (compared to the white).
So if you don't pay off all your Statement, the interest can be quite a lot more than an equivalent balance on a white.

If you can spend £20k on american express card, then you get 40k air miles + 30k current bonus & 2 E to PE upgrades.
Enough for 2x return seats in PE for about £700 to NY
#909043 by seany
25 Aug 2015, 20:11
Yep, I pay off my statement every month so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, does anybody know if booking a Virgin flight through expedia counts as "booking direct with Virgin Atlantic"?

I didn't think it would, but on the statement the actual transaction comes up as Virgin instead of Expdia. Would be cool if i got the 4 miles per £ for that booking.
#909456 by Gritty12
03 Sep 2015, 23:23
I currently have both the white and black virgin cards. Bonus miles are added to your statement. I see that the sign up bonus is back to 18,500 for first purchase and a further 13,500 if you spend £3,000 in the first 90 days. A bit miffed as I thought this offer was on when I signed up but it wasn't and now it's back again!

Good deal for anyone looking to take out the Black card at the moment though!
#909466 by Donkeh
04 Sep 2015, 08:30
seany wrote:Yep, I pay off my statement every month so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, does anybody know if booking a Virgin flight through expedia counts as "booking direct with Virgin Atlantic"?

I didn't think it would, but on the statement the actual transaction comes up as Virgin instead of Expdia. Would be cool if i got the 4 miles per £ for that booking.

Just got my CC statement and I can answer your question...

I booked a flight through expedia, and yes I got bonus miles.

Code: Select all     
AMEX MILES | 2,947.21              
VISA MILES | 136.65              
BONUS MILES | 761.15
Virgin Atlantic