For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2884 by fozzyo
09 Oct 2004, 17:03
Incase anyone doing some domestic travel or for international members visiting the UK.

I just had a night in my third Malmaison hotels and was very pleased with it, this time staying in Birmingham. The Edinbugh, Manchester and Birmingham hotels are all consitently good quality. Nice modern decor, good bars with good cocktails - even if they refuse to free pour. [:(!]

The rooms are lovely, well stocked minibar, champers, soft drinks, jelly belly, kettle chips, absolut, gordons gin, wine etc. When you get to the room the in room CD/MD Player will be playing the Mailmaison's own CD - currently Ecoutez Et Repetez Deux: 2. The bed's are fantastic and firm with lovely fluffy duvets.

This time in Birmingham we opted to stay in a Suite, for the extra £45 it is very worth while! A seperate living area / room with sofa, 2nd TV, 2nd mini bar, 2nd hifi, dinning table, more wardrobe space and coffee table with selection of magazines. The bathroom also consists of a large bath and seperate shower cubicle.

If staying at the Birmingham hotel I can highly recommend their Le Petit Spa. We opted for a Mal Men Day Spa treatment which included full use of all the spa facilities - gym, sauna, steam room, hot tub, relaxation room with fantastic massage chairs (these also included if staying at hotel) and two treatments - one hour full-body massage and an Anne Semonin Facial. The Anne Semonin treatments are only currently available at Claridges, London and this Spa. And worth every penny!! It really is a fantastic way to spend four hours.

Malmaison hotels are currently in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and London with Belfast opening in November.

If you want somewhere a little different, more modern then the usual chintzy chain hotels Malmaison is definately worth a stop! Only downside, is no Flying Club partner miles.

Foz :o)
#43073 by onionz
11 Oct 2004, 01:20
Thanks for the tip.

I noticed on my weekend trip to Manchester that malmaison is right near Manchester piccadilly station which is quite convenient if you are arriving by train (of course, that could be a train from the airport..:)).

It seems the city centre is starting to feature some quality new hotels, also including the Radisson Edwardian and the Lowry. And may i also mention the Palace (a "traditional styled" four star = chintzy ;)) which i had a great rate for from Expedia (£60/night).
#43076 by BlackCat
11 Oct 2004, 10:08
Marylebone Warwick Balfour who owns Malmaison have just bought out the Hotel du Vin chain too.

I've stayed in a few of the Malmaison hotels and they are of decent quality, well appointed, and much better than your usual run of the mill 4* business hotel.

BC
#43100 by HelenF
11 Oct 2004, 19:29
I think I read last week that Malmaison has just taken over the Hotel du Vin chain. Not sure if they'll be keeping both brands or merging them.