For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#907704 by stinky minky
24 Jul 2015, 21:00
Hello
I;ve rented a car with atlas travel and its with thrifty at tampa airport. we have a ford escape or equivalent. I've searched to see if I could find what cars thrifty have and scared myself!!! :-O

I've read some right horror stories about thrifty at tampa!! has anyone been through there recently and rented a car and had a good service?

also do they have kiosk or online check in facilities or do I need to go to the desk???

thanks
#907712 by Hev60
24 Jul 2015, 23:28
I am not totally sure about this but I thought Thrifty, Dollar & Hertz are all one these days. However if that info is incorrect, sorry.

We picked up a Dollar car from MCO last year and Dollar/Thrifty shared the kiosk. On returning the car to Tampa airport, we was directed into a lane with the three companies displayed together.

We had a brand new Grand Voyager with so many gadgets !!! it was very nice. We always use Dollar mainly because a lot of VS passengers use Alamo. We find there are always plentry of vehicles to choose from on arrival.
#907715 by dickydotcom
25 Jul 2015, 07:05
Hev60 wrote:I am not totally sure about this but I thought Thrifty, Dollar & Hertz are all one these days. However if that info is incorrect, sorry.

We picked up a Dollar car from MCO last year and Dollar/Thrifty shared the kiosk. On returning the car to Tampa airport, we was directed into a lane with the three companies displayed together.

We had a brand new Grand Voyager with so many gadgets !!! it was very nice. We always use Dollar mainly because a lot of VS passengers use Alamo. We find there are always plentry of vehicles to choose from on arrival.

Interesting, because I'm one of those Alamo users and I have never had the car I have ordered.
Three times I've book a Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar and always had the or similar or been talked into an upgrade.
Who did you book through? Did you get air miles on the deal?
Dick D
#907721 by Hev60
25 Jul 2015, 09:56
dickydotcom wrote:Interesting, because I'm one of those Alamo users and I have never had the car I have ordered.
Three times I've book a Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar and always had the or similar or been talked into an upgrade.
Who did you book through? Did you get air miles on the deal?
Dick D

We have used Netflights.com for years now and also UScarhire.com but the former is cheaper. We belong to the Dollar Express scheme and in MCO they told us there was about 15 Chrysler Grand Voyagers we could choose from but make sure it had the 'VIP' label hanging from the drivers mirror - those were the brand new ones with DVD players etc. my soninlaw would have loved the SUV they offered him but we would never have got our luggage in.

There's obviously no VS miles with Dollar but having said that I am still awaiting miles for the Alamo car I booked thru the flying club this year. Had to use Alamo because Monterey airport didn't have a Dollar. I would add the car was a very basic intermediate which had done a lot of miles and hence it was well worn :-(
Car hire is such a personal choice based on experience but for us it's always Dollar or Hertz as first choices and never Alamo from Orlando!!
#907725 by Sunseeker
25 Jul 2015, 12:10
I have booked a car with Alamo booked it via Virgin holidays rather than direct booked a full size suv £300 cheaper for 2weeks with Virgin holidays rather than direct with Alamo
#907752 by dickydotcom
26 Jul 2015, 07:06
Sunseeker wrote:I have booked a car with Alamo booked it via Virgin holidays rather than direct booked a full size suv £300 cheaper for 2weeks with Virgin holidays rather than direct with Alamo

By full size SUV are you talking Tahoe or similar? £300 seems a massive saving over 2 weeks.
I have booked via virgin holidays the last three years and always been happy with the price.
I tried Netflights yesterday and couldn't even get on the site. Tried it again just now and it's saying there are no cars for my dates February -March
I also tried Carhire 3000 which I have used in the past and they do give offerings for all the major companies.
The interesting thing I noticed was that Alamo consistently come out with a much higher review rating than Thrifty.
I think I'll stay with Alamo through Virgin as it's a good price and I'll get the air miles.
Dick D
#907760 by Hev60
26 Jul 2015, 10:36
dickydotcom wrote:I tried Netflights yesterday and couldn't even get on the site. Tried it again just now and it's saying there are no cars for my dates February -March
I also tried Carhire 3000 which I have used in the past and they do give offerings for all the major companies.
Dick D

Agree about that Netflights site being down and when I finally got into it I found they now only do Alamo or National :-O I too am looking at car hire for our Florida trip in March but probably won't book until the autum as I watched in years gone by that the prices come down after the summer.

I've given up trying to get my due/earned miles credited to my FC account for the car booked thru Virgin when we went to California this year. Virgin say it's down to Alamo and they in turn ignore my emails. Not worth any more hassle for a few hundred miles but I've learnt from it and that's why I say an opinion on something is usually based on bad experience ;-)
#907767 by dickydotcom
26 Jul 2015, 12:20
Sunseeker wrote:Yes Tahoe or similar Alamo quoted £800 for 2weeks Virgin holidays £500 for same vehicle

Currently Alamo is quoting me £1260 versus Virgin £1175 for a Tahoe for 30 days.
Not quite such a saving but still better.
I am tempted but there are only the two of us so I may settle for a saloon this time. Although I did have an Infinity QX80 this year. Did I say I'm a sucker for upgrades?
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/infi ... irst-drive
I'll wait a couple of months and see if Hev60's prediction is good and prices drop. I paid £717 last year booking in Sept for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. and they are currently offering the Hyundai Santa Fe as the standard SUV at £776.

Dick D
#907773 by Hev60
26 Jul 2015, 16:02
dickydotcom wrote:I'll wait a couple of months and see if Hev60's prediction is good and prices drop.
Dick D

:-O Oh dickydotcom, no pressure on me to be right then !!!! I do not think Virgin will reduce prices but booking with Alamo or a third party might be different.

My OH said they'd like to try a mid-size SUV as we're travelling around Florida a bit next March. However I said the extra expense is silly coz there's only two of us !!

For interest, I priced out an Alamo Hyundai Santa Fe or similar 5 Door - Standard SUV and with Virgin it came out at £451.60 for our 13 days & with Netflights it was cheaper at £412.71. Both included the fully inclusive deal, with also the extra for a tank of fuel and additional drivers but with no Sat Nav - We've been to Florida so many times I think we know more about routes than a SatNav :-D
Virgin Atlantic