For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#917853 by Fuzzy14
23 Feb 2016, 14:19
Had a 'Facebook friend' this morning flying Bristol-Dublin-MCO with Aer Lingus to be denied boarding at Bristol because she didn't have 6 months remaining on her passport. She's had to run over to the passport office and get an expensive same-day appointment before hopefully catching a later flight.

My understanding is British passport holders do not need 6 months on their passport when travelling to the USA and I have checked the US Embassy this morning and the FCO and their travel advice remains the same. This is a recurring problem with travel agents frequently giving out wrong advice but it's the first time I've heard of the check-in staff doing this.

For my own peace of mind there aren't any other rules at work here because it's a stopover in Dublin?
#917878 by Fuzzy14
23 Feb 2016, 22:32
Hamster wrote:Sounds like a mistaken check-in agent to me?

Sounds like it, somebody not used to transatlantic transfers. Could have easily phoned somebody for guidance.

Anyway it was posted on Twitter/Facebook etc and has gone utterly viral so I expect this to be in the papers tomorrow or Thursday.
#917907 by ken54
24 Feb 2016, 14:45
Have just flown London city to Dublin with 5 months left on my passport had no problems with check in at both airports think this must have been a mistake at check in
#917924 by Fuzzy14
24 Feb 2016, 21:52
Update on this, it does indeed appear to be a mistaken check-in operator at Bristol but Aer Lingus haven't done much to redeem themselves getting the family to New York a day late but not arranging onward travel. TSA agent at New York confirmed the original passport would have been acceptable.
Virgin Atlantic