For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#942147 by chrisfinch_2000
14 Mar 2018, 19:09
Hi all,

I’m after a bit of EU261 advise...
I booked a one way flight a few weeks ago using ‘Tripsta’ online agent for 30th September 2018 from IBZ - LGW (via MAD.) I chose this flight for the arrival time in LGW as well as price (£100 cheaper to fly via Madrid).

The flight from IBZ to MAD was an Iberia codeshare with the flight from MAD to LGW operated by Iberia - all has been ticketed with Iberia flight numbers.

This flight has now been cancelled.

Tripsta offered an Iberia flight on the following day which won’t work (and I don’t deem a suitable alternative seeing as BA have umpteen direct flights operating on my original day of travel and both carriers are part of one world alliance.) Tripsta say they cannot rebook on BA as it is a different carrier?

What are my rights under EU261 as the travel agent is saying either take the flight a day later, or take a refund. If I take a refund, it will cost me £100 extra to book on the BA flight so I’m wondering if I have any EU261 rights/leverage?

Thanks for your help!
#942148 by Bretty
14 Mar 2018, 19:44
Hi Chris,

I’m afraid you have no leverage here under EU261 rules due to the fact your flight has been cancelled more than 2 weeks before your scheduled departure, which is when EU261 kicks in.

I’m surprised that the OTA can’t reebok you with BA, and I think if it were me I’d take the refund and search for another flight myself.
#942151 by tontybear
14 Mar 2018, 20:03
IB and BA may very well both be One World members and indeed their share an owner (IAG) but they are still separate companies and aren't interchangeable.

Your EU261 rights for a cancellation more than 14 days out are accept the rebooking for the next day (unless there are other IB MAD-LGW the same day which is sounds like there isn't) or take the refund.
#942153 by gumshoe
14 Mar 2018, 20:53
This is one of the main hazards of booking with an online travel agent I’m afraid. The savings can be tempting, and if everything goes to plan they’re worth it.

But if things go wrong you’re reliant on them to make things right - and most OTAs aren’t known for their customer service. The airline can’t help you unless the flight is less than 24 hours away.

It’s no consolation now but if you’d booked this with BA they would almost certainly have been more flexible and put you on one of their flights.
Virgin Atlantic