For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#943336 by catsilversword
05 May 2018, 06:07
Hi,

Don't seem to be accumulating anywhere near enough miles for a flight, so looking at alternative ways to spend them. I see that you can exchange for Eurostar use - has anyone done this and how fiddly was it to do? It looks as though you have to call the flying club people to arrange it, which seems a bit of a faff - it is fraught with difficulties? Is there indeed a better use of miles?
#943361 by JCBR
06 May 2018, 11:58
Don't forget you can use them to upgrade you cabin on a paid flight and you can buy extra miles if you do not have enough. Sometimes the cost of buying the miles and using a miles ticket is less than buying a money ticket.
#943363 by mitchja
06 May 2018, 12:56
You can also put miles towards any revenue fare as well (it has to be a pure VS flight though with no connections). Every 3000 miles drops the base fare down by £18.
#943364 by mallin
06 May 2018, 13:35
Also hotel booking s Claire, when I went onto the Flying club as I was in the same position as you the agent suggested this alternative. On looking at the miles they required they were very poor value .

We have just enough for a one way UC reward, so are looking at doing VS out BA back, I know its going to cost more as two singles instead of a return, but it uses the miles and keeps some in my BA account.Linda
#943365 by catsilversword
06 May 2018, 15:08
Thanks everyone! I sort of knew there are good and less good ways to use them. Does seem a sad fact of life that rewards are not only more expensive than previously, but also harder to come by.

Linda - hadn’t considered flying one way VS and the other BA! I have seen people do this, but not had the courage to do it myself. Maybe I have to t y that!!!!
Virgin Atlantic