For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#3036 by sahajesh
21 Oct 2004, 22:12
Read an interesting article on a UK government project to track people entering and leaving the UK - the project is called eBorders (the 'e' standing for 'export' rather than the usual meaning).

The aim would appear to be to 'export' the UK's borders to foreign ports and travel operators - people wishing to enter the UK would have their eligibility etc checked at their port of departure (maybe even at point of ticket purchase?).

Anyone who is rejected by the system will be denied permission to travel (not sure if this would affect transit pax). This system will have links to a new Foreign Office system called iVisa plus the usual suspects ie the intelligence services, Customs, Immigration, Passport Agency, Department for Work and Pensions and the Home Office ID card scheme.

Sounds interesting but will the system work?

The programme is due to pilot early next year with a system called Semaphore, for which IBM is the only company left in the bid process - may have something to do with the fact that whoever wins the Semaphore bid cannot then bid for eBorders - strange!!

What's the likelihood that we'll see more of these systems popping up over the next few years? I was a bit surprised that US didnt't introduce something like this, doesn't their current system only alert US Immigration during your flight - their officers will then greet you upon arrival whereas eBorders is designed to be a real-time system.

Cheers,

Sahajesh.
#43894 by mcuth
22 Oct 2004, 01:26
Sahajesh

I must've missed this BBC report too!

What a very interesting project indeed! Without getting into a political/moral debate (;)), I've been thinking along these lines for a while actually....

In theory, it should:
i) be less of a strain on the immigration services since ineligble folks won't be allowed to enter the country (bet we've all seen how people manage to disappear once they're here!),
ii) cost the taxpayer less since the deportations will probably go down, and
iii) the airlines will welcome it too - don't they get charged if pax are not allowed into their destination country?

Wonder if it'll apply to asylum seekers too?

I'm not sure if I like the way that the successful Semaphore bidder gets excluded from the eBorder bid.... I like how one company (in theory) can't screw over the govt, but then it does raise doubts about successful integration [:0]

Cheers

Michael
#43897 by sahajesh
22 Oct 2004, 01:43
I read the article in this week's Computing magazine and also missed the BBC report.

I agree with your 3 points - asylum seekers should be an interesting one as you won't be able to ask an Immigration officer for asylum once you land as you may not even be allowed on board the plane!

I can see this being very tricky to implement - can see the plus and minus of the bidding process but as you say, integration would be tricky especially as the eBorders winner is likely to pick holes in the Semaphore system [:0].

I hadn't heard of this before so it seems to have a low public profile for now, I'm sure this will change closer to implementation.....

Cheers,

Sahajesh.

Whoops, forgot to add that this would also make the Airport TV programme on BBC 1 less interesting ;)
#43902 by mcuth
22 Oct 2004, 02:08
I don't get Computing these days - it used to be delivered, then I found out they'd changed my address to #57 instead of #8, tried to correct it and never heard from them again [:(!]

I've long held the view that asylum seekers should be able to apply for asylum either in their own country (or a neighbouring one) and we then put them in safe houses until checks are complete - that way we can help them before they get here instead of them vanishing into the dark realms of our underground economy.....

Unfortunately, I agree about the contract winners blaming each other - what's the betting that before we even get to eBorders it'll be a typical govt contract where the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for delays & integration problems? *sigh*

(also agree about Airport - I loved the immigration sections :D)

Cheers

Michael
#43996 by HelenF
22 Oct 2004, 14:16
This is an interesting one. I'm not sure that this is the place for the discussion, or one I want to get too deeply into right now, but. . .

I spent four years in my last job working for a major organisation supporting refugees and asylum seekers. (And, coincidently, some time before that sharing a house with an immigration officer). The idea of screening asylum seekers before arrival in the UK sounds great in practice but in reality is fraught with difficulties. The current system is far from perfect, but there's a lot that could be done to improve it whilst keeping applications in the UK. Unfortunaltely, the fact that issue has become such a media/political hot potato means that there is a tendancy to do things that sound good but won't work, rather than things that really could make improvements but don't result in positive headlines. In that light, I think this sort of system could well be extended to asylum applications, and that would worry me.
#44000 by mcuth
22 Oct 2004, 14:48
Helen

Thanks for the insight - will look forward to hearing the rest over a beer at the post-Christmas bash perhaps? :)

Cheers

Michael
#44012 by sahajesh
22 Oct 2004, 16:38
Helen,

Count me in for that discussion too - as you say it's a hot potato and as such has been handled pretty badly for some time now.

Cheers,

Sahajesh.
#44030 by honey lamb
22 Oct 2004, 19:38
Is this similar to what happens over here on the USA flights whereby you clear Immigration in DUB or SNN before you leave Ireland? Very handy, but then again, the downside is you can't fly VS from here [:(]
#44062 by mcuth
23 Oct 2004, 00:26
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb
Is this similar to what happens over here on the USA flights whereby you clear Immigration in DUB or SNN before you leave Ireland?

The impression I get is that's what they're aiming for :)

Cheers

Michael
#44288 by HelenF
25 Oct 2004, 23:28
Discussion sounds good to me.
#44326 by iforres1
26 Oct 2004, 10:48
quote:Originally posted by HelenF
Discussion sounds good to me.

Beers sound even better, eh Mike[:p]
#44333 by mcuth
26 Oct 2004, 11:20
Iain
quote:Beers sound even better, eh Mike[:p]

You know me so well already :D

Cheers

Michael
#44341 by HelenF
26 Oct 2004, 12:49
I think the goodness of beer goes without saying :D
#44348 by Jonathan
26 Oct 2004, 13:41
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb
Is this similar to what happens over here on the USA flights whereby you clear Immigration in DUB or SNN before you leave Ireland? Very handy, but then again, the downside is you can't fly VS from here [:(]

They also do that on the EuroStar.

I guess it makes sence that a carrier doesnt have to fly you home (as it does now) for immagration issues.

It makes more sense for long hall trips eg can you imagine being refused admission to Sydney!! that'd be painfull!

Whilst the East coast isnt so far I doubt i'd be happy flying into LAX or SFO to be turned back - then again how many people are ever refused entry? not that many!

Definately worth discussion over beer as there are bound to be many issues with this type of system.
Virgin Atlantic