For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#6247 by p17blo
03 Jun 2005, 16:32
Hi all,

i recently took a flight from MCO to SJU. Wanted something with a bit more leg room so looked at the options. These where Song (all economy) or AA. As AA had the first class cabin (They really do need to look up the definition of First Class) I tried to get a discounted flight, but was only able to get an £800 return fare. I was a little peeved about paying this much as the trip is only 2 and a half hours but I thought I would go for it, I could use the lounge at MCO and make it a little more relaxing. I turned up at the desk to be told I had to wait as I was early! What! I was at the desk 2 hours before, why is this early. The security queues can take 2 hours to get through on a bad day. Any way after I was allowed to check in I had to man-handle my own bags to x-ray and drop them off. it was so busy I had to leave then just outside the door which has go to be a security risk, then I asked for directions to the lounge to be told that I did not have the right to enter. OMG! WHAT! I have just paid £800 to be talked down to for arriving early, to man handle my own bags and then not to have any lounge access. I could not believe it. My LGW-MCO return Z class hadn't cost me much more.
When I got on the plane I couldn't believe that either, ripped leather(ette) seats in First Class and a screaming kid (yes I know AA couldn't help this but still). Anyway, no private screen and I was sitting near the front and they don't lower the front screen until well after take off. Then came the in flight meal. A cold chicken salad. Ooh I am getting so mad thinking about it. I vowed never to use AA again after they stranded me at JFK for 12 hours with no luggage and no food/drink, but used them this time. From what I have heard about Song I would have been better going with them.

Can anyone tell my why AA First Class doesn't get you lounge access?

Paul

{mcuth: moved to Airlines forum}
#65095 by BlackCat
03 Jun 2005, 19:45
Domestic First Class on US airlines does not generally give lounge access. Most airlines (including AA) have a scheme to purchase either day passes or annual membership, either with cash or miles. Only when travelling internationally or connecting to an international flight will lounge access usually be available.

And many US airports require you to take your bags from checkin to security screening -- it's very common.

BC
#65450 by jaguarpig
06 Jun 2005, 10:33
Can anyone tell my why AA First Class doesn't get you lounge access?

A bit of BA plastic does the trick;),I was amazed there was no lounge access on a F domestic ticket especially as you pay for booze and food in the admirals club anyway.It does state no access on AAs web site apart from flights to Mexico City.
#65543 by some guy
06 Jun 2005, 17:56
Absolute crazyness, I know! Even DFW to Vancouver doesnt justify lounge access in F - but isnt this an international flight?

Luckily I flew Alaskan F to LAX, which is an AA codeshare (and I got the BA poits (which I dont understand(marvelous))).
#72706 by slinky09
09 Aug 2005, 01:06
Paul

You've come across AA **** service ... it's like a bus company, the limited bens you get are related to space and priority boarding.

It used to amaze me that when you booked first class, with connecting flights, you never got auto lounge access. Then after a few I also realised that lounge access with AA is actually really dull and crap. But still, you can buy access to the AA lounges for like multi-hundreds of dollars but everyone it's so not worth it.

I remember my first AA flight, in 1986 from MIA to San Juan, at the time I paid about £400 and the in flight subsistence was a diet coke and a crappy sandwhich, bearing in mind that I'd paid less on BA from LHR to MIA and got far more I was unimpressed.

Whatever - the lesson to learn is that American carriers are absolutely ****e at in flight service.
#72732 by jaguarpig
09 Aug 2005, 12:19
Whatever - the lesson to learn is that American carriers are absolutely ****e at in flight service.

Have to say on our recent BOS-LAX-HNL-LAX-BOS AA yup 1st trip inflight service was fantastic on all legs way ahead of VS,It was so good in fact we have another 2 AA YUPs booked for xmas and Easter.
#72735 by BlackCat
09 Aug 2005, 12:38
My recent trips back up jaguarpig's assessment of AA First Class: both the in-flight service and the food were much better than VS UC.

BC
#72746 by p17blo
09 Aug 2005, 14:36
[Have to say on our recent BOS-LAX-HNL-LAX-BOS AA trip .

But all of these legs are 3000 miles plus (or there abouts) and don't they use the better aircraft/cabin crew on these routes. I thought these where held in similar regard as their overseas trips.

Paul
#72793 by The_Banking_Scot
09 Aug 2005, 23:41
Hi,

I still have to post my comments on my AA flights MCO-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-MC0 but whilst the service on board was good ( better than what I had feared), VS UC is above the AA level.

I used my BA Silver card ( O/W Sapphire) for lounge access on AA

Regards

TBS
#72794 by slinky09
10 Aug 2005, 01:06
As you all know there's a difference between domestic first and international business or first on AA ... both in standard of service and on board comfort ... but not that much in my opinion:

- AA lounges are not really much to write home about when you're in them anyway, the only decent one they have is the first class lounge at LHR
- recent business leg on a 777 from ORD to LHR I encountered the worst service in that class ever, have had much better in domestic first on AA
- domestic seats (were you on a MD80?) are no better or worse than BA Club Europe, though clearly now dated and tattier
- domestic AA is really an efficient bus service, no frills

But what AA offers is an amazing route network and frequency that just makes it so damn useful. In the days of more room through coach they were pretty unbeatable.
#72840 by jaguarpig
10 Aug 2005, 13:43
But all of these legs are 3000 miles plus (or there abouts) and don't they use the better aircraft/cabin crew on these routes. I thought these where held in similar regard as their overseas trips.

Paul

2611 miles BOS-LAX on a 737-800 so only 40inch pitch and 1 aisle.
2556 miles LAX-HNL on a 757 also 40inch pitch and 1 aisle.
Both aircraft are not loved by frequent AA pax.
The flagship 3 class services usually JFK-LAX are operated by 767s but are very expensive and no good for the yup fares.

On our return home mrs jag and I could not find a single thing wrong with the 4 AA flights(we can usually find fault with anything:D).
#73334 by ChuckC
15 Aug 2005, 14:57
Obviously we have a lot of choices with US air carriers. I have about 920,000 lifetime miles on United, but after its troubles began and service went to heck, I switched -- to American. Have now reached Platinum level on AA and have to say that while no US carrier does a truly outstanding job with inflight service American does have a decent transcon service on its 767s.

As for their CH, I find JFK, LAX, DFW clubs large enough that I can usually find a place to unwind. That, plus the wifi is enough for me.

Regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic