For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#634 by mitchja
30 Mar 2004, 22:08
Anyone any experience of Qatar Airways please?

I'm flying the the Maldives in November via Doha, booked through VHOLS. They are also charging £970 each way for J class upgrade - seem worth it [?]. Both ways are overnight flights.

Regards
#28222 by Nottingham Nick
30 Mar 2004, 22:25
Never flown Qatar Airways - but the thought of two long overnight flights down the back doesn't appeal.

I know FT is down at the moment, but they may be your best bet.

Nick
#28324 by Jonathan S
02 Apr 2004, 09:09
I have flown a number of times on Qatar in J class, and I think it's fantastic. Beats Emirates on seating hands down - and the food is good too. Nice touch is the use of the Clubhouse in Heathrow for business class pax also. I have written a number of reviews on http://www.airlinequality.com and carsurvey.org/air where you can read further. I flew J to Maldives, the Doha leg was brilliant, new seat etc. And to Male a smaller plane but amazing food and service.
#28353 by mitchja
02 Apr 2004, 14:58
Thanks Jonathan

Sounds good - I forgot my 10% Frequent Virgin discount off the J class upgrade too. Think I'll go for it!!!!
#35300 by mitchja
03 Jul 2004, 14:21
I asked last week to have to outbound flight upgraded to J and having received my invoice this morning VH have only charged my £545 (£490.50 including my FVC discount).....doesn't seem much, considering VH originally quoted me £970 each way for the upgrade. At that price I think I'll upgrade the return flight too!!!!

I'm just wondering if they have only upgraded 1 sector of the outbound flight. The invoice doesn't tell me much as there's no mention of any flight details.

edit - Just double-checked with VH and the entire J class upgrade is in fact £545 each way so it's J class both ways with Clubhouse access at LHR too!!!

Regards
#35313 by jaguarpig
03 Jul 2004, 17:57
approx £1k upgrade return in J go for it:), but I think I would have given it a miss at £2k each[:0].Never heard a bad word about Qatar their J seats are a lot like J2000 I think they have a full first class as well.
#35324 by mitchja
03 Jul 2004, 20:46
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
J seats are a lot like J2000 I think they have a full first class as well.

Had a quick look on Expedia and a return J class flight in Nov is approx £1100, First is approx £2300. I might see what the first class upgrade price is at the airport as it is only on the LHR-DOH legs.

Looked on the Qatar Airways web site - not much info on the new J class seat but I'm intrigued about the 'foot massage bar' on the seat....

Regards
#35326 by Jonathan S
03 Jul 2004, 21:25
That 'foot massage' foot rest is, in effect, a leather coated bar which can rotate (so you can run your feet over it and back) nice sensation - but hardly shiatsu :)

Have you double checked it's still clubhouse access, i thought i'd read somewhere that they had switched to AC?

Happy to be proved wrong - some of my best J trips have been on Qatar.

Oh, and the onboard espresso/latte is very nice.
#35335 by mitchja
04 Jul 2004, 00:31
Jonathan

Any idea where the pic is on there, as I cannot find it..

Thanks
#35354 by mitchja
04 Jul 2004, 13:29
Thanks Jonathan

Looks pretty good.....

Regards
#35581 by mitchja
06 Jul 2004, 23:53
quote:Originally posted by Jonathan S
That 'foot massage' foot rest is, in effect, a leather coated bar which can rotate (so you can run your feet over it and back) nice sensation - but hardly shiatsu :)

Have you double checked it's still clubhouse access, i thought i'd read somewhere that they had switched to AC?

Happy to be proved wrong - some of my best J trips have been on Qatar.

Oh, and the onboard espresso/latte is very nice.

Checked with Qatar Airways today - they now use the SAS lounge in T3 for J class paxs.

Regards
#37020 by Odessey
20 Jul 2004, 00:10
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
Anyone any experience of Qatar Airways please?

I'm flying the the Maldives in November via Doha, booked through VHOLS. They are also charging £970 each way for J class upgrade - seem worth it [?]. Both ways are overnight flights.

Regards

Im quote impressed with Qatar Airlines
click here to look at the different classes are like (Everone get PTV's >http://www.qatarairways.com/3.0.0.1.0.0.htm
Virgin Atlantic