For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#7172 by mpsb
02 Aug 2005, 20:48
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of booking a reward flight o/w with my BMI reward miles on a Lufthansa flight EZE/GRU/FRA/LHR, business part miles part cash, £120 + 18750miles + tax. The first two are fine but I'm having problems understanding the taxes. They first said it would be around £125 tax, but they couldn't confirm the taxes because their system was down. I called them the next day and they quoted £195 for the taxes. I asked them to re-check with their fares department and after about a dozen calls they have confirmed the £195 figure. When I asked for a breakdown of those taxes they quoted amongst others £101 for a security tax at EZE, which seems over the top. In any case, I have spoken to Lufthansa whose flight I'm taking and they gave me a total tax of £115 if I were booking it with them[:(!]. Why the difference?, how can I find out the real tax for EZE/GRU/FRA/LHR in business?. HELP!!
#71858 by FamilyMan
03 Aug 2005, 09:20
Originally posted by mpsb
how can I find out the real tax for EZE/GRU/FRA/LHR in business?. HELP!!

Unfortunately mpsb what you're paying for is tax and charges and there are no rules as to how airlines levy charges - see this link for a bit more discussion on taxes.

For the routing you mention the main stumbling block would appear to be Argentinian ticket tax (although I do not know on what fare basis they levy the tax) - security tax ate EZE is a relatively insignificant $2.50.

If you use the ITA SOFTWARE MATRIX TOOL mentioned by mgm-al in the thread above and then search on your routing you should be able to compare charges by different airlines. Unfortunately I do not think you have a lot of choice as what they charge is what they charge and negotiation is probably not an option.

Phil (Buffy)
#71983 by mpsb
03 Aug 2005, 19:50
Thanks Phil,

I have actually just spoken to BMI, once again they spoke to their fares department in Mombai, but this time they came back with a tax of £124 rather than £195. The friendly BMI agent agreed that it all seemed very dodgy and advised to write a complaint letter. In any case, I was happier with the revised tax and I have booked my ticket. Happy with my hols.

VS PE LHR/BGI 24th December. VS reward:)
2 pax 8 nights on Easycruise for £140[8D]
SJU/WAS/EZE plus £2 tax. BMI reward:)
LH Business EZE/GRU stop GRU/FRA/LHR plus £124 tax. BMI reward:)

I just have to find a cheap flight from BGI to SJU. No easy task.