For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#7316 by Doc
10 Aug 2005, 17:33
Greetings - I am about to spend two days in San Fran (California Street)and wondered if anyone could suggest some quality bars ;)Will need a good drink to wash down the horrible food I am looking forward too...[:(]

Topic moved by Mod to Travel forum........Nick
#72859 by mdvipond
10 Aug 2005, 17:42
This one will probably run and run, but we liked Top Of The Mark on top of the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental on Nob Hill. Fab views and a great old fashioned cocktail bar feel to it. Try the apple martini (not too many...).

Also, the Big Four in Huntington Hotel across the way, and the Tonga Room under the Fairmont (I think) where it 'rains' every hour, on the hour.
#72895 by mcuth
10 Aug 2005, 22:05
I quite like Irelands32 on Geary, and I've heard that Finnegan's Wake (in Cole Valley) is supposed to be a cracker too. Have a look at this website for more bars - you can select the type you're interested in :)

Cheers

Michael
#72926 by ChuckC
11 Aug 2005, 05:50
Originally posted by mdvipond
This one will probably run and run, but we liked Top Of The Mark on top of the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental on Nob Hill. Fab views and a great old fashioned cocktail bar feel to it. Try the apple martini (not too many...).

Also, the Big Four in Huntington Hotel across the way, and the Tonga Room under the Fairmont (I think) where it 'rains' every hour, on the hour.

Not so crazy, your ideas! These were two of my old watering holes 30 years ago(!) when I lived behind the Mark Hopkins on Pine Street. Revisited The Mark last year for the memories and found it still charming and the drinks cold. As for the view, well, if it's a view you want, the bar at the Carnelian Room, on the 52nd floor of the former Bank of America tower (California and Kearny) has, without question, the most amazing view in all of SF.

Some funky bars on Union Street; gay crowd, of course, is on Castro.
Afternoon cocktails at the Starlight Roof at Sir Francis Drake Hotel (off Union Square, Powell and Sutter) will result in you becoming drunk if happy hour is on; big drinks and very good view.

Hanging out with the glam crowd can be had at Boulevard, on Market (tough to get a table for dinner, however); take the Powell/Mason cable car at California & Powell. Jump off at the turnstile downtown and walk east toward the Bay; restaurant's on the right.

A jumpin' joint with a mixed crowd, great bar and good food can be found at Mecca on Market Street. Take cable car to Powell/Market and then grab the J trolley going West (toward the mountains). Ask the conductor for the stop closest to Mecca (or just grab a cab; they also have valet parking).

Don't think you'll find a lot of bad food, by the way, in SF. The bigger issue may be finding reservations at your table of choice. Try http://www.opentable.com; there is a feature on the home page that will tell you the most requested tables in the City. Enjoy!

Regards,
Chuck-
#72993 by slinky09
11 Aug 2005, 19:17
Starlight Lounge - good views and can be classy - great cocktails and the only place I've ever been offered the services of an admittedly very nice looking young woman!

Mark Hopkins - a fave, just don't try the Calvados Martini (I had to, having just about tried every martini variation I've come across!)

The Tonga Lounge - it's a tourist trap, true its crazy but strangely lacking in vibe

Like the Royal Exchange on Sacramento - good food too.

Noc Noc on Haight St is very good fun, lots of rock formations and everyone is getting jiggy sat on the floor (jazzy/housy music too)

Up and Down Club on Folsom has great jazz

The Paradise Lounge also on Folsom is multi-tiered and multi-talented - features a dance floor, poetry readings, dancers and more

Enjoy your trip, there is something for everyone in SF!
Virgin Atlantic