For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#7336 by WFC
11 Aug 2005, 14:37
Hi,

I have to fly to Boise in Idaho on business next month (5th - 8th Sept). I am a regular Virgin passenger, but cannot see an effective way of getting there by Virgin.

Anyway, the best trip I can find is using Continental. Its a flight from Birmingham to Newark, then to Minneapolis, and then in to Boise. Its econonmy and costs around £1,200.

Any ideas on a better way of doing this for a similar price? Any views on Continental?

I should add, I am not a good flyer and thats the reason I usually go for Virgin as I am more comfortable with them (service, entertainement etc..)

Cheers!
#73006 by slinky09
11 Aug 2005, 20:41
Hi WFC

I've found
VS19 LHR to SFO
UA6388 SFO to BOI

and

UA6383 BOI to SFO
VS20 SFO to LHR

For £1,286. Means you can stay on VA and get miles and be comfortable with what you know ... AND there's only one change.

Have you looked at Expedia and put in your dates specifying VA as your preferred airline?

If money is a prime issue I can see the journey on AA via Chicago and Seattle for £1,079 ...
#73018 by WFC
11 Aug 2005, 22:06
Thanks for that slinky. I'll take a look.

Only problem with that is, I'll have to get to LHR and am based in the West Mids.

Money isnt a major concern, but I want to be away from home for as little amount of time as possible.
#73019 by WFC
11 Aug 2005, 22:07
Also, I take it from the lack of enthusiasm that Continental isnt a great option? The two internal flights are actually operated by Northwest Airlines :(
#73040 by WFC
11 Aug 2005, 23:32
Right, I think I have almost bitten the bullet and going to go for the Virgin SFO flight and then connect to Boise.

Is there any way of checking the seat availability of those Virgin flights before booking? I really want a aisle seat, preferably at the back where the seats narrow down to two.

Also, what in flight entertainement might I expect on those flights?

Managed to find that flight for £1100.
#73045 by seany
11 Aug 2005, 23:55
You can become a member of http://www.expertflyer.com which enables you to look at seat maps and other useful info (I think it's 2.49 for a month), or you can become a member on v-flyer here and use the availability tool and the v-tool, or become members of both :).
#73059 by slinky09
12 Aug 2005, 09:14
Take at look at the seat maps on V-Flyer or elsewhere then ring Virgin to ask about availability of your preferred seats?
Virgin Atlantic