For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#7589 by fozzyo
26 Aug 2005, 10:36
Been looking at these, used a few built-in ones before and they are such a cool concept - particularly for someone like me. Last time we went to Orlando we managed to get lost going from the Wyndham Orlando Resort on International Drive to the Disney Animal Kingdom going via two toll booths! We'd been to Disney a few times allready so god knows what happened there.

I've been thinking about these for a while now, what are people's experiences of them? Any recommendations? Also will be in the US so buying there an option too if cheaper - i'm going to want US and UK maps so will have to buy one set either way.

Thanks
Foz xxx
#74669 by Nottingham Nick
26 Aug 2005, 10:43
Foz

While we were away, we used Microsoft Streets and Trips. It is brilliant. You can buy it in the US with a GPS receiver in the box. Simply plug it into a USB port and you are away.

It also works in the UK and Europe with Microsoft Autoroute.

The other alternative is to by a small 'tom tom' type system, but I don't know anything about them.

Have a look at this thread where a similar question was discussed a while back.

Nick
#74670 by Decker
26 Aug 2005, 10:49
Currently using two iPaqs - both with TomTom. Prefer them both to the Neverlost... VERY cheap at the moment. I'm buying the cheapest at £220 + VAT for the iPaq with TomTom, UK Maps and the GPS receiver and car kit...
#74711 by ChuckC
26 Aug 2005, 15:12
Hi Fozz,
These systems are becoming more affordable; take a look here for some descriptions of what's available.

Best,
Chuck-

PS: Fozz already knows this, but for those who would like to try GPS before buying, most car rental companies offer vehicles equipped with GPS -- good to keep from getting lost at Disneyworld and lots of other places.;)
#74727 by Scrooge
26 Aug 2005, 16:34
Both my FIL's cars have these thing built in..Being the person that I am I had to try them out.His two cars are an Acrua RL and a Jag XJ8..out of the 2 the Acura worked better with clearer screen and easier interface..

It was funny to watch it figure out the route changes whilst my wife was giving different directions than the computer was giving..all in all I may well end up having to get one of these,though it is not offered in the car im getting,so it will have to be an add-on.
Virgin Atlantic