Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237908 by daisy
13 Sep 2005, 17:22
I decided to use online check in for the next days flight to IAD. A straightforward process but I didnt get a confirmation screen (just an error) so I assumed it hadnt worked. I didnt worry about it too much though as I planned to check in early the next morning.

After spending the night at the Jurys Inn at Heathrow (new hotel at Hatton Cross a bargain at 59 plus 7 for parking its also on the Hotel Hoppa route too for those who use it) we dropped the car at Parking Express and were at check in for 8.00am. The UC check in person was polite and informed me that the online check in had worked she seemed a little annoyed that I hadnt gone to the fast bag drop but there wasnt a queue behind us so I couldnt see what the problem was. She didnt put any UC labels on the bags so I gave up any hope of priority baggage handling at the other end and I couldnt ask her why she hadnt labelled them (Ill tell you why later). Given seats 2 H/K and sent on our way to the new Clubhouse with printed invites (now this really is a waste of money surely you only need boarding cards and/or your FF card?)

Fast track security was a breeze for once so we went through - stopping briefly at Duty Free and then headed towards the gates. Found the entrance to the clubhouse up some stairs to be met by three friendly faces, one of whom stepped forward to greet us and show us around. Compared to how it used to be, the new lounge looked a great deal better. Bit of an Austin Powers 1960s theme throughout. It wasnt crowded so we found a seat (before OHs rumbling tummy disturbed the others already enjoying their breakfast) and ordered some food the full English breakfast for hollow legs and the signature dish for me both with coffee and orange juice. It wasnt easy eating at the dinky low tables but the food and service were both excellent. The lounge was much quieter than the old one with lots of people milling around waiting to serve you.

Once hed had enough to eat (a lengthy process for which I always allow time), OH went off to cancel the Rhinestone Cowboy Id previously booked for him, opting for a hair cut instead. He came back looking quite presentable so I wasnt too displeased with him. A few semi- famous faces started to appear so I surreptitiously star gazed for a minute before helping my self to glossy magazines. The lounge started to fill up at about 10.30am and the seats quickly disappeared. The other half of the lounge had better open soon!!

Finally, after one G&T (a bit early but Im a nervous flyer) VS21 was called and we made our way to the aircraft. Rainbow Lady was waiting at the gate (you know the one, the gate furthest from the centre of the universe the one requiring a trek only slightly shorter than the longest trek ever trekked) However, there was no queue to board and a friendly welcome greeted us.

Jackets were taken and drinks offered. I had Champagne as did OH. Carlos was handed out, together with the wallet style amenity kits. The IFBT introduced herself but we both declined a treatment this time. The cabin seemed clean and the old style seats were well maintained. Ty Nant water in the slightly groovy ripple bottles was already in place.

We then taxied out a little late (flights were taking off towards the east with good views to be had on the progress of terminal 5) saw Birthday Girl on one of the stands. The aircraft had to wait a few minutes at the end of the runway as there was a queue and then we were off about 20 mins late a very smooth climb over London and a couple of quick turns had us heading in the right direction. It was a beautiful day, so I looked down to see RAF Fairford below (a very long runway) I assumed Swindon would be close by but I couldnt see it. Being Swindon, I didnt miss much.

At this point I decided to open up the amenity kit to see what was in it. Only word to describe it cheap! Talk about penny pinching. I have (from some of OHs trips from a few years ago, a couple of the kits they used to dish out Neals Yard glass bottles full of lovely lotions and things, shoe horns, nice pens, note books, toothbrush, tissues, mints, thick socks, etc. all in a nice sturdy case). By comparison, this offering looked as though it had already been run over on the tarmac. It was warped even after the tacky polythene wrapper had been removed. A frugal little thing to be sure and maybe a sign of things to comeeven the eye shades have now got that plastic looking fabric on one side just grim.

Kicked the kit under my seat and reached for the menu. Again, I had the feeling that penny pinching was in full swing I wouldnt say there were loads less choices just that the choices seemed to be very ordinary. Ordered the soup which was hot but the bread roll was unpleasant followed by the steak. The steak choice was a good one and I liked the chunky vegetables we both chose the merlot to go with the meal and then both declined anything else. Its very unusual for us to choose the same things and I think that it was a reflection on the limited choices available. Although the food and service was OK I was left feeling disappointed the quality just wasnt the same as the trip from last December (obviously the same could be said of the amenity kit) the cutlery used to be plastic (still is) but at least it was more stylish a few months ago coloured and shaped so you didnt feel like you were in the staff canteen. The coloured napkins used with the drinks orders were thin and cheap and the crisps and olives were definitely of the cheaper variety - silly little things I know, BUT everything seemed to be just a little more down market which contributed to the overall effect.

Wasnt attracted to any of the films on offer but rather than listen to OH read every single article in the FT to me, I settled down to watch Madagascar [:I] which was hilarious and very enjoyable! Read Carlos very quickly some interesting articles and lists which made me smile. Then read my magazines. Tea was served about an hour and a half out of IAD. Limited myself to a cup of tea but of course the tall chap next to me took up the perceived slack and wolfed down sandwiches, cakes and more wine. We didnt bother using the bar as it seemed very small and cramped as did the space for the IFBT.

Landing brought a rush through the cabin (which wasnt full) as the girls and boys did all the bits needed to get ready to land. That seemed to take them an age to complete. OH was annoyed that the IFE was turned off about 50 minutes before landing way too soon in his (rarely) humble opinion.

Got a great view of Dulles and the new Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian museum (which we later visited before heading to the airport on the return leg its a MUST see for plane lovers Air France Concorde, Enola Gay, JU-52, Hurricane, SR-71 and the Enterprise Shuttle to name a few highlights the IMAX was good too).

We landed about 10 mins late and only had a short taxi to the gate. Had to help ourselves to our coats (we all did) but the doors were opened quickly so we got off into the steaming heat of the Virginia summer. Straight onto the wretched moon buggiesa hot sticky trundle to the terminal and into immigration. Very pleasant customs person allowed us entry and we were on our way in less than 30 mins for once our bags came out in the first batch even though they werent labelled.

Overall a sound trip but somehow vaguely disappointing Nothing horrendously bad but nothing really great either. I liked the new clubhouse but its not big enough, the food and wine choices are OK but not great. The feeling that the bean counters are now in charge was pervasive and unsettling [V]

However there is a twist in the tail. I actually hadnt told my OH that we were travelling in UC Id told him that Id only booked PE seats as I wanted to surprise him with a late birthday treat (and I outright lied to him saying Id paid to go into the clubhouse so he wouldnt suspect I also kept hold of his boarding card because Im either a) sneaky or b) the perfect partner planning the perfect surprisetake your pick [:I])

Now I concede that he isnt the worlds most observant person BUT he didnt notice that we were in an UC cabin until I pointed it out to him when wed been sat in our seats for 5 minutes!!!!Initially I was stunned that he hadnt realised but later I thought...hold onperhaps its understandable why he didnt notice the older style 340 cabin doesnt have the same impact as the suites or BA NCW which begs the question: given the difference in cost is UC worth the price on the older A340s? Im not sure any more

Will write up the return leg as soon as I cananother 340 trip
#311892 by Nottingham Nick
13 Sep 2005, 17:40
Many thanks Daisy, some very interesting and honest observations. It is a TR that VS management should take notice of.

There has to be a line between tightening of budgets and penny pinching that will devalue UC and drive premium class pax to other airlines.

Nick
#311893 by JO5H777
13 Sep 2005, 18:04
true, the old upper class doesn't seem as upper as the new one! the whole upper class doesn't seem as upper class anymore as, the cut backs seem obvious and standards are slipping, food etc... can't fault the crew though.
#311919 by buns
13 Sep 2005, 21:24
Daisy

Thanks for an extremely enjoyable TR[y][y] I particularly liked your asides about (what appears to be) your very understanding OH[:D][:D]

I share Nick's comments about your pertinant observations on the UC service. Nothwithstanding the very real dilema airlines currently face, to me it does not seem good business practice to p**s off the premium pax[:(!]
#311971 by BlackCat
14 Sep 2005, 03:36
Daisy, thanks for the detailed report: certainly consistent with my recent experiences.

BC
#312006 by daisy
14 Sep 2005, 12:19
Hi all - thanks for the comments [:)]

Indeed, having read BC's TR, there would appear to be a cost cutting drive going on. The trouble is, no matter how loyal you want to be, VS are certainly making it harder for me to book with them.

We've already decided to use AA in December (in Y) for a short trip to Boston and I was planning a weekend in NYC next April so I could get to see the suites but I'm starting to think about experiencing Club World - just to compare...

If it weren't my own money I may feel diferently but it is and I want to spend my hard earned £s wisely [:)]

PS - Buns, the OH is very understanding - bless. I should also point our that his constant trawling for food is very real (but I'm only annoyed as he is still thin [:(!] - if I ate the way he does VS would probably spray me in silver paint and call me 'Lazy Daisy' or something...[:p])
#312059 by buns
14 Sep 2005, 21:00
Daisy

LOL[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Many thanks
Virgin Atlantic