Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239621 by buns
01 Jan 2006, 20:57
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After being schooled in the art of making the most out of a visit to a Clubhouse by the Master Mcuth, I had persuaded Mrs Buns that it would be in our best interests to arrive at Gatwick Airport around 7am for our eagerly awaited for our first ever Christmas break in Florida[:w]. It being the week before Christmas, road traffic was particularly busy and even at that early hour, cars were queuing right back to the ramp that takes you up to the departure level - so we asked our driver to drop us off at the lower arrivals level for quicker access to the airport[|:)].

After making our way through the throng of people, we eventually arrived at the Upper Class check in line. (Despite receiving two e-mails from Virgin encouraging OLCI, Mrs Buns is still firmly of the view that we should always check-in in person). However, only one check in desk was open and was dealing with a complicated checking for a small group of passengers travelling in wheel chairs. Eventually after waiting for over a quarter of an hour[n], I suggested to the Security agent that we would be happy to take the first available desk - this promptly occurred and our mission to get to the Clubhouse was back on. Armed with fast track passes and an invitation to the Clubhouse, we briskly made our way to the fastrack departure line to find that it was anything but and was not moving at all. So in an effort to make up lost clubhouse time we joined one of the regular queues and were through to the departure lounge and then the Clubhouse in no time at all.

The Gatwick Clubhouse remains haven of serenity and this was even more so as it seemed the main departure lounge was bursting at the seams and it was still not 8am. Once greeted at the Desk, we made our way to free spot where we could still see aircraft on the apron. Service was almost instant with orders for the bacon roll for Mrs Buns and the Clubhouse signature dish (Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs) for myself being taken. Needless to say both dishes came with the almost obligatory side order of fizzy stuff (the arrival of Mumms champagne in the Clubhouse is most welcome). As the morning progressed, Mrs Buns and I had the opportunity to chat with the regular staff there (including Jack the shoe shine man) and most, if not all, asked about the well being of LRoM. I was of course able to report that he was in fine form as I had been able to share his company during the recent V-flyer social to Las Vegas. (I am quite sure that Mrs Buns and I could dine out on the fact that we are acquainted with LRoM[;)][:I][;)]). Talking of dining, as the UC menu did not seem too inspiring, I took the opportunity presented by a delayed departure of half an hour to opt for a second breakfast ~ this time opting for the full english.

The flight finally called, we bid our farewell to the Clubhouse staff and, with some reluctance, made our way to Gate 31 to board the flight. Mrs Buns had once again secured her record of celeb spotting in the Gatwick Clubhouse adding another famous name to her list. After the massive trek to the Satellite Terminal we found the usual Gatwick boarding scrum with no separate lines for UC, PE or Gold Member pax, but apparently they had only just started to call for pre boarding so the line was not too long. Quickly through we were welcomed on board and went to our assigned seats 8A & K. This was the first time Mrs Buns and I sat on opposite sides of the cabin and must say that I much prefer sitting on the same side. Service was very efficient with drinks being offered as well as our coats being taken for storage. As I mentioned earlier, the flight had been delayed; however, push back was not until 12.05 and it was close on 12.30 before we were airborne. It is perhaps a sign of the times that UC & PE were full but Y was about 75% full

Although not provided with a copy of Carlos (which I had already read) we were given amenity kits, headphones (not noise cancelling as would be found on LHR flights) and a welcome return of hot towels being distributed shortly after take off [y][y]( a second round of hot tolwels were distributed just before land too). We were surprised to find that the on-board menu was a special Christmas edition featuring traditional turkey Christmas dinner followed by Christmas pudding it would have been rude not to have accepted the offer so we duly partook. For a pre-dinner drink I opted for the Bellini which was OK~but not brilliant~and Mrs Buns her usual Bombay Sapphire and tonic. As the drinks and meal service commenced, so did the limited Nova IFE. After the obligatory see what you are missing Virgin promo and Sky news, I settled down to watch the Wallace & Grommitt movie. It has struck me that the choice of music channels is limited with nothing appealing to those with more mature music tastes like myself[:?][:?], nevertheless after the meal I took a port and this added greatly to the opportunity to grab forty winks. Some two and a half hours later (or thereabouts) Mrs Buns and I sat at the bar and had a nice chat with crewmembers who were aware of the V-Flyer site and of the recent social to Las Vegas.

I was not too impressed with the pannini style of afternoon tea sandwich (but perhaps that is me being too much of a traditionalist). We touched down at 16.40 and was soon off the aircraft and through the efficient Immigration process at MCO and the even more efficient double carousel arrangement. Even with have the luggage screened by customs and having to virtually undress (well shoes, belt) to go through the secondary screening process, we were fortunate to have caught the end of one of the trucks transporting the bags to the main terminal so the second drop process did not delay us at all and we were out of the airport in 40 minutes and in our hotel within an hour[y][y].

All in all Mrs Buns and I were not disappointed[;)]
#324257 by David
01 Jan 2006, 21:22
Great TR. Can't wait for ours in a few days, but will be interesting to compare as this will be the third ucs to mco in 9 months. I wonder what will be missing ....

thanks

David
#324258 by Nottingham Nick
01 Jan 2006, 21:24
Great TR, Buns.

Glad you had a good trip.

Welcome back, and Happy New Year.

Nick
#324259 by mitchja
01 Jan 2006, 21:25
Excellent TR thanks Buns [:)]

Wow 40 mins to get through MCO - good going!!!!!

Regards
#324261 by rcslt
01 Jan 2006, 21:29
As someone who flies this route twice a year your TR sounded like most of my experiences. Including the celebrity spotting. I only wonder when LGW ground staff will actually be able to offer a priority boarding for UC/Gold instead of having to fight your way through the scrum.
#324269 by JAT74L
01 Jan 2006, 22:13
Great TR Buns.

All the best to you and Mrs B for 2006.

John
#324317 by buns
02 Jan 2006, 14:20
David

Many thanks - I hope your journey next week was meets up to your expectations. Talking of missing, my OB amenity kit did not have any eyeshades and the comb is no longer a feature[:(]

Nick

Many thanks - glad to be back as I have missed the Forum whilst I was away[ii]

Mitcha
Many thanks
Wow 40 mins to get through MCO - good going!!!!!

I think the trick is to be lucky enough to have your bags being on the end of the truck that that takes them to the main terminal. Waiting for the second drop there can take ages[:(!]

rcslt

I only wonder when LGW ground staff will actually be able to offer a priority boarding for UC/Gold instead of having to fight your way through the scrum.

Too true. I appreciate that VS share the satelitte terminal, but given all thier flights are in the morning, it would not take too much to get some signs out there and bring them back.

JAT74L

Many thanks - all the best for 2006
#324319 by ChuckC
02 Jan 2006, 14:37
The usual excellent report, Buns. Has me salivating for my upcoming trip!

Chuck
#324320 by buns
02 Jan 2006, 14:43
Chuck

Many thanks. Your upcoming flight will be that little bit longer and I hope more enjoyable as you truly deserve to get the best[y][y]
#324352 by derby_dave
02 Jan 2006, 19:12
A really interesting read, Buns, thanks! Glad you had a good time & welcome back. A Happy New Year to you & Mrs. Buns.

Your discretion in respect of the celeb is a credit to you - and frustrating to my curiosity!

...and having to virtually undress (well shoes, belt) to go through the secondary screening process...

Such rigourous security screening when arriving at a US airport and simply going landside rather than on a transfer is something I have never experienced. I remarked on it in response to a TR some time ago (I think it was in respect of ATL, but I can't find it now).

My experience of arriving (albeit limited to BOS, EWR, ORD and most recently LAX) has always been looong queues at immigration (now with the US-VISIT fingerprint & photo procedures, of course), baggage reclaim, handing in the Customs form and out onto the street. At what point in the process does the security screening kick-in? Is this something can I expect to encounter it at any or all US airports in future? [?][:?]

Dave
#324354 by ChuckC
02 Jan 2006, 19:15
Originally posted by buns4vs
Chuck

Many thanks. Your upcoming flight will be that little bit longer and I hope more enjoyable as you truly deserve to get the best[y][y]

Buns,
Will be on a 744 and in one of my favorite seats (9A) outbound from JFK and coming back to LA will be on a 346 in 3K which I'm told is the best seat for daytime.

Chuck-
#324357 by buns
02 Jan 2006, 19:25
Dave

Many thanks for your kind wishes - I sincerely hope that you have a succesful 2006.

As for the celeb, as they may still be vacationing, it would be inappropriate to say at this time[;)][;)]

The reason that MCO has this security screening after going through immigration and customs is because incoming pax can mix with outgoing pax in the terminal airside area. There is a little monorail that takes you between the main terminal and the satelitte gate areas so this also means you have to surrender your luggage after going through customs and retrieve it in the main terminal[V].
#324359 by derby_dave
02 Jan 2006, 19:41
As for the celeb, as they may still be vacationing, it would be inappropriate to say at this time[;)][;)]

Quite right - I sincerely applaud your good manners!

The reason that MCO has this security screening after going through immigration and customs is because incoming pax can mix with outgoing pax in the terminal airside area. There is a little monorail that takes you between the main terminal and the satelitte gate areas so this also means you have to surrender your luggage after going through customs and retrieve it in the main terminal[V].

Ah, that explains it. I recall there's a similar transfer system to at ATL where arriving international pax have to effectivelt re-check their bags just to get to the main terminal? Having said that, as (to my continued regret) I've never been to Atlanta, I stand to be corrected on that point?

I'd got the impression that screening inbound international travellers was the TSA's way of saying they don't trust the screening procedures of non-US aiports - which, I guess, they don't [:(!] (Are arriving domestic pax rescreened before allowing to mix with the departure crowd? [:?])

Cheers,

Dave
#324369 by buns
02 Jan 2006, 20:27
Dave
I'd got the impression that screening inbound international travellers was the TSA's way of saying they don't trust the screening procedures of non-US aiports - which, I guess, they don't (Are arriving domestic pax rescreened before allowing to mix with the departure crowd? )

You are quite correct, AFIK domestic pax are not screened
#325174 by RichardMannion
05 Jan 2006, 23:36
Buns,

Thank you for a great trip report, it makes me sad that I have not been through LGW for a while now to say hello to the CH staff there. Me and Sarah will be going to MCO later on this year (prob Sept), so will look forward to visiting!

Thanks,
Richard
#325185 by HighFlyer
06 Jan 2006, 00:13
Fantastic TR Buns! [y] (somehow missed this in the 10 or so pages of forum catch-up i have had since returning from my last trip)

Has certainly wet my appetite for a return to LGW and MCO [:)]

Glad you and Mrs Buns had a great trip, and a successful graduation from the school of Mcuth [;)]
#325202 by onionz
06 Jan 2006, 02:56
I'll add my thanks for a comprehensive report [y]
#325557 by mcuth
07 Jan 2006, 10:39
Buns - as usual, a cracking TR, thanks [y]

After being schooled in the art of making the most out of a visit to a Clubhouse by the ÒMasterÓ Mcuth,

LOL!!!!!!!

I took the opportunity presented by a delayed departure of half an hour to opt for a second breakfast ~ this time opting for the full english.

Ahhh, you did get schooled properly didn't you? [;)][:D]

we found the usual Gatwick boarding scrum with no separate lines for UC, PE or Gold Member pax

Were the signs not even there? Mind, not that anyone takes any notice of them at either LHR or LGW [:(!]

Cheers

Michael
#325564 by shazam
07 Jan 2006, 10:57
Great TR Buns [:D]

Loved the account of getting to the clubhouse' Laughed so much because that's exactly what we are like too!!! No dawdling in duty free, or window shopping on the way, brisk march, shortest queues, if I lose hubby on the way he knows where to find me... then as you step through the doors, heave a sigh of relief and ....relaaaaxx, holiday starts here [:D]

Cheers
S
#325700 by buns
07 Jan 2006, 22:57
Richard

Many thanks
Me and Sarah will be going to MCO later on this year (prob Sept), so will look forward to visiting!

I know that for many of the staff at the Clubhouse, that visit cannot come soon enough

Highflyer

Most kind of you
a successful graduation from the school of Mcuth

I know am now in the midst of a very distinguished Alumni[8D][8D][8D]

Mcuth

Many thanks
Ahhh, you did get schooled properly didn't you?

but I still have much to learn Master[oo]

Shazzam

Thanks for your comments
Loved the account of getting to the clubhouse'

I stand to be corrected, but this might be getting easier[;)] AFAIK there is going to be (now?) an entry point into the departure lounge from the Gatwick Village (upper) level. This will mean you can get to the Clubhouse even quicker[y][y]
#325762 by mcuth
08 Jan 2006, 14:08
I know am now in the midst of a very distinguished Alumni[8D][8D][8D]
but I still have much to learn Master[oo]

LOL!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Cheers

Michael
#325974 by ade99
09 Jan 2006, 17:03
AFAIK there is going to be (now?) an entry point into the departure lounge from the Gatwick Village (upper) level. This will mean you can get to the Clubhouse even quicker[y][y]

The upper level security lines open up particularly over summer and busier periods, you come out by the Next/WHSmith part upstairs. It's not planned to be always open though and doesn't have fast-track lane!!!
#326042 by buns
09 Jan 2006, 20:33
Ade99

Thanks for the clarification[y][y]
#326135 by Edna Cloud
10 Jan 2006, 00:30
Enjoyed the TR: many thanks.

Happy New Year to you and Mrs B.

EC
#326363 by buns
10 Jan 2006, 20:43
EC