Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240211 by p17blo
25 Jan 2006, 01:58
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Just under 24hrs prior to departure and I tried to use the OLCI. This would be the third or fourth time I had tried to use OLCI in my previous 3 or 4 flights (including a BA flight). Unfortunately every time I try to use this system it doesn't allow me to check-in. I am not sure why but it just tells me to check in at the airport as usual.

As I had booked two Z fares on this occasion I did not have any option to get a VS limo so as a comparison and as a change I decided to use a local 'Prestige' transfer company. I had booked an S-Class for both way. I phoned the company to confirm my 7.45 pick up for the next morning.

The next morning the 'Limo' arrived slightly earlier than expected and the driver loaded the luggage into the car and we joined him for the journey down to LGW. As this was a normal working day during rush hour the journey took longer than it would usually have taken us when we travel on a Saturday arriving at LGW just after 11:30. We quickly grabbed a luggage cart and wheeled the luggage through to the check-in within the South Terminal.

The VS part of the terminal was very quiet with little or no queues. After having our tickets checked and then our passports we where pointed towards the PE check-in, this was due to the fact that the UC check-in desk was empty. No matter though as we where quickly checked in to our pre-assigned seats (6A&K) and given the correct UC boarding cards and clubhouse invite.

We then went through the Fast Track security line which was slightly less busy than the other normal lines before taking a quick look around the Duty Free shops. Then it was straight up to the lounge to relax and get some breakfast. I ordered the English and Mrs B had the Doorstop Sausage Sandwich both of us opting for the Tea. The lounge was pretty quiet and the food soon turned up. After a brief stay in the lounge our flight was called out of Gate 32.

We took the long walk to Gate 32 and arrived to see the normal long lines. There was a poster stating Priority Boarding but nobody standaing at it and a closed off tensabarrier in front of it. I walked up to this point and asked the Securicor agent where the priority boarding was. After rolling her eyes, tutting and huffing at me she open the tensabarrier to let Mrs B and I through, closely followed by a handful of other UC passengers who had been to afraid to say anything.

We boarding the aircraft (English Rose) and took our seats. Out of the 14 UCS only 8 or 9 where occupied. I took advantage of the Champagne for the pre-flight drink and accepted the OB ammenity kit given out. (They need to change this now as I already have enough). The aircraft pulled back from the gate a couple of minutes early and we where wheels up by 12:45.

Due to huge headwinds up to 180mph our flight time was expected to be 9 hours 15 minutes. It was a pretty bumpy crossing taking a very southerly route that took us across Bermuda. I took the opportunity to look at the signage between the Economy cabin and the UC cabin. Unlike the LHR routes there is no sign asking passengers to use the toilets towards the rear of the aircraft, and whilst I didn't stand guard for the entire flight I did witness at least a dozen visits to the UC toilets by non US passengers.

When the food orders came I was stuck as the choice was Pork or Fish. As I only eat chicken and beef I asked the cabin crew if they could steel something from Economy. This was done without any problem (I have had comments before that it was not possible until I asked them to ask an economy passenger if they would like to swap their meal for a UC one!) and I soon had a chicken dish. I was unsure what it was, the chicken was very nice and served with some kind of stuffing and some weird and very horrid mash stuff. This was washed down by another couple of glasses of Champagne. Mrs B, being full after the clubhouse breakfast opted simply for the Chocolate Bread and Butter pudding.

IFE had a very good selection and my PSP/IPOD/DVD Player did not have to come out. Looking at the choices on the way home I think this will be different on the way home. I took a look through the Retail Therapy guide and pre-ordered the 'Birthday Girl' model aircraft to be collected on my return flight. Thought I would get one before they all sell out. No Carlos was handed out but then again I didn't bother asking for one either.

After the seatbelt signs had been on and off several times it was time to come in to land and we had a good clear view of Kennedy and the Rocket on the lauchpad (Which we later saw launch from 60 miles away whilst in one of the Disney Parks the following day!) and where pretty much straight in. After a last minute and quiet violent right turn to line up on the east most runway I could see another 4 aircraft landing or taking off at the same time. This just shows that MCO is a very busy airport. We touched down a few minutes early and arrived at the gate about on time.

After a very short delay lining the airbridge up the doors where open and then we had a LONG delay whilst the LGW priority debarkation was first given to those on the upper deck and then those in the economy sub-cabin. I asked one of the cabin crew why UC did not get priority debarkation on the LGW flight and she told me it was not possible due to the seat layout. I did ask here why the upper deck came off first but she did not have any answer for this.

Once in the terminal it was a few minutes walk to Immigration where we walked straight up to an agent. This part always gives me a problem as my visitor visa never expires. They also want to know why we are here so often 'on Holiday' but we where still through in pretty quick time. We quickly found the correct baggage belt and for the first time ever 2 of my bags where the first two off. The 3rd and last was off after another 2 bags and we where off much to the tuts of the other passengers around us and the cry from one of 'You can't do that!'. It was then through customs and no search this time. We dropped our bags off with the TSA agent and then went through security before taking the monorail over to the main terminal. We by-passed the collection of our bags and went straight to the empty dollar rent a car desk and completed the paperwork for our hire car. It was then back up to the 2nd collection carousel where we had a short wait before collecting our cased again. We then collected the car and where out of MCO 30 minutes after arriving at the gate. This was the quickest transit we have ever had.

Thats all for the outbound TR look out for the return TR.

Paul
(Posted off the coast of Cozumel via Sat Link)
#329409 by jilly
25 Jan 2006, 02:13
Glad to hear you had a decent flight over Paul. I landed in MCO less 4 than hours ago and had a very similar flight experience. Will look out for your return trip report (will post my outbound after a good sleep) and hope that the food is better for you on the way home. Meanwhile enjoy!

Ben - got the vouchers many thanks for them [oo]

Jilly
#329525 by buns
25 Jan 2006, 20:33
Ben

Thanks for the informative TR[y][y]

We by-passed the collection of our bags and went straight to the empty dollar rent a car desk and completed the paperwork for our hire car. It was then back up to the 2nd collection carousel where we had a short wait before collecting our cased again. We then collected the car and where out of MCO 30 minutes after arriving at the gate. This was the quickest transit we have ever had.

for those familiar with the layout at MCO this is a very good tip[^][^]
#329542 by onionz
25 Jan 2006, 23:37
Originally posted by buns4vs
Ben

Thanks for the informative TR[y][y]

We by-passed the collection of our bags and went straight to the empty dollar rent a car desk and completed the paperwork for our hire car. It was then back up to the 2nd collection carousel where we had a short wait before collecting our cased again. We then collected the car and where out of MCO 30 minutes after arriving at the gate. This was the quickest transit we have ever had.

for those familiar with the layout at MCO this is a very good tip[^][^]

It certainly seems sensible to me, except of course when you are renting from Hertz. [;)]
#329595 by HighFlyer
26 Jan 2006, 10:32
Thanks for the fab TR!

Glad to hear you got the meal you wanted, even if it was from Y. I dont eat fish or Pork either so would have been equally stuck. Do you know why there were only two meal choices?

Good stuff on catching the launch, i have never managed to see one despite many trips to MCO, so im still hoping!

Have a good one, and lok forward to reading the return!
#330514 by rcslt
30 Jan 2006, 20:01
Originally posted by p17blo
We took the long walk to Gate 32 and arrived to see the normal long lines. There was a poster stating Priority Boarding but nobody standaing at it and a closed off tensabarrier in front of it. I walked up to this point and asked the Securicor agent where the priority boarding was. After rolling her eyes, tutting and huffing at me she open the tensabarrier to let Mrs B and I through, closely followed by a handful of other UC passengers who had been to afraid to say anything.
(Posted off the coast of Cozumel via Sat Link)

Why can't they get the boarding right? Is it that difficult?

Everytime I have flown out of LGW in UC I have had to attract the attention of one the security agents to let me through. I have also been followed by several other UC passengers bewildered by the scrum.

If they can do it right at other VS destinations why can't they do it at LGW?
Virgin Atlantic