Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240233 by jilly
25 Jan 2006, 18:53
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I left Cambridgeshire the day before by train and arrived at Gatwick around 3pm. Went directly to the VA check-in area intending to do twilight check-in but knew my hand luggage was VERY borderline. Decided to weigh it but was unfortunately even heaver than imagined at 11kilos[n]

I needed to keep some items with me so changed mind and headed for the Hilton deciding to check it in the following day and pick up my boarding card then.

Nicely upgraded at the Hilton to an executive room with the benefits of the lounge for the evening and breakfast the following morning (not required as I thought the Clubhouse would be superior). Thank you Virgin for the Gold Card offer[y]

I had booked PE out and UC return as no UC seats were available at the time. My e-ticket confirmed a K out and Z back. I checked expert flyer a couple of days before departure and it was showing 6 seats available in UC.

At 8am on the day of departure I thought I'd go to the ticket desk to see about a mileage upgrade. Aware that the K class ticket didn't officially qualify (thanks gurus) thought I would ask anyway. Lady at the desk was extremely helpful but declined my request but offered to upgrade me for 99 pounds (inc. taxes) plus miles. My credit card removed itself from my purse and my seat in 9A was secured. I was up front about my luggage weight but they very kindly let me take my case on board anyway. The help, friendliness and professional way I was dealt with could not be faulted and I headed to the Clubhouse a very happy bunny[:D]

I was just in time for my hair appointment at 08.30 and radically had at least 6 inches removed from my long locks. The lady in the salon was on her own and unfortunately she had to turn down requests for treatments. Very happy with the cut but was politely asked to let them know in future just how long and thick my hair was so they could allow more time for my appointment. Really do think that they should have had more staff on duty though even though the lounge was pretty quiet.

Settled down for a couple of hours of coffee, breakfast and a glass of champagne to finish.

Flight was called at 11.30 to gate 32. By the time I got to the gate priorty boarding had just finished but there wasn't much of a queue left anyway and was quickly on board by 11.50. Managed a bucks fizz topped up with more champagne before we pushed back at 12.15. In the air at exactly 12.30.

Cabin crew were excellent and FSM came round to everyone, introduced herself and addressed everyone by name also giving out the latest Carlos. Two gentleman in 6A and K decided they didn't like it there and moved to 10 and 11 K. There were 5 spare seats in the cabin.

Food - what a poor selection. I decided on the chicken salad as a starterand salmon and hake with rice. Salad was very nice but I really didn't like the fish and left most of it. I saw the lamb suet main dish served and it looked like a poor pub-grub offering[n] I think this is the worst food I have had on any VA flight - and that includes economy, in fact I hazzard a guess that it was probably better. Decided to fill myself with the fruit and chocolates available from the bar, this was probably why I declined afternoon tea later into the flight, but again the selection on offer wasn't to my liking.

However, the selection of entertainment was much more to my liking and I watched 'In her shoes', 'The wedding crashers' and '40 yr old virgin'. Didn't stimulate the mind but good light entertainment. Due to this I didn't sleep at all, along with the great company of the 2 gents infront of me[;)]

Landed early at 04.30 but a long taxi meant it was 04.50 by the time we were at the gate. Fought through very full downstairs PE and EC, full of children and was glad to see no queue at immigration. The BA flight had been processed but many were still waiting for their luggage. Picked up the car from Dollar (had booked a compact 2 door but found a 4 door intermediate in the car park) and was at the villa by 6pm having stopped for some supplies at the local Publix.

All in all the journey was great. the check in staff were exceptional, cabin crew couldn't do enough for me, but the food left a bitter taste in the mouth. Virgin please change the menu with great haste.

Sorry rambled on a bit.

Jilly
#329526 by buns
25 Jan 2006, 20:38
Jilly

Thanks for the TR

My credit card removed itself from my purse and my seat in 9A was secured

nice one[y][y]

All in all the journey was great. the check in staff were exceptional, cabin crew couldn't do enough for me, but the food left a bitter taste in the mouth. Virgin please change the menu with great haste.

I could not agree with you more - VS take note - change the menu please
#329527 by David
25 Jan 2006, 20:51
Great report Jilly - I really must make the effort an do one ... some day [;)]

Having done the same journey last weekish, I have got to totally agrree with you about the food. We had a 3+hour delay in leaving, and I really wish I had had more to eat in the clubhouse.

No soup, no red meat but the dessert was ok. I have had many many better meals in an aircraft, including one on a shuttle down to lgw.

Its still a great cabin to fly in, very private and very 'moreish' In fact the triple miles are very tempting, but whether i could justify 2 trips to mco in 2 months ...

Hope you enjoy your trip and you might find that the food on the way back is slightly better than on the way out.

David
#329528 by jilly
25 Jan 2006, 20:59
Thanks Buns you're always so generous replying to TRs.

David you must to a TR -even if it is the same journey it's always helpful to see it from another person's point of view. Yes - you know can justify another trip if you try hard enough!

Jilly
#329541 by onionz
25 Jan 2006, 23:35
Thanks for a detailed trip report, sorry to hear the food wasn't up to par, but the rest of the experience seemed more than acceptable.

Originally posted by jilly
was at the villa by 6pm having stopped for some supplies at the local Publix.

Ahh..Publix - we go there too, when in Orlando - roughly equivalent to Sainsbury's I would say. Was it the one on Champions Gate Blvd by any chance?

I can't wait to get back to MCO in UC [:)]
#329543 by jilly
25 Jan 2006, 23:38
Yes Jason was indeed that Publix. My villa is very close to there.

Jilly
#329556 by onionz
26 Jan 2006, 01:03
Originally posted by jilly
Yes Jason was indeed that Publix. My villa is very close to there.

Jilly

I know it well!

Enjoy your trip.[:)]
#329598 by willd
26 Jan 2006, 11:14
Ahhh Publix....

The best bit about the store, when i was a wee one around the mid 1980's, was the free cookies that kids could get in Publix on the presentation of a card! Having not been to MCO in years not sure if they still do it- but would imagine not. But back off to MCO over May bank holiday for a wedding of some American friends- will be interesting to compare my memories of MCO 1985-1995 to that of today- I think Im in for some big shocks!
#329604 by easygoingeezer
26 Jan 2006, 11:52
[:0]Did I read that right £99 to upgrade?????
#329655 by jilly
26 Jan 2006, 16:05
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
[:0]Did I read that right £99 to upgrade?????

Yes egg that was correct. I had a K class PE ticket. This was the cost of upgrading to S class - also had to use 20K miles.

I was expecting to pay around the 200 mark but I really didn't have a clue what it was going to be, but I was surprised it wasn't a bit more.

Jilly
Virgin Atlantic