Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240315 by p17blo
29 Jan 2006, 22:44
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Tried the OLCI 24 hrs before the flight and yet again got the message that I could not use OLCI at that time and to check-in at the airport as normal. Definately going to take this up with Virgin as this is keeps happening to me. Anyway, as some of you may have seen from my posts I had spent the previous week cruising around Caribbean and on Saturday morning I was still onboard ship in dock at Fort Lauderdale waiting for Customs to clear us so I could get off, get to Fort Lauderdale airport to collect the hire car before dashing up the Florida Turnpike. Finally got off at 9am and waited another 30 minutes for a single officious immigration office to check all the NON-US passports with a fine tooth combe. Finally in the cab at 9.30 and was in the hire car heading away from Fort Lauderdale Aiport at 10am on the dot. Don't ask me how, but we made the 1pm deadline for Downtown Disney Check-in and the check-in process here was as slick as ever. Boarding cards (RED, wonder why they don't have the purple card here), Lounge Invite and cases checked we popped off to Celebration for a spot of Lunch. This check-in leaves the afternoon free for you and really does make the last day a usable day. This service is free for UC, AU and VH customers but can be used by anyone else for a charge of $5 per person. I would seriously recommend using this service if you are flying home from MCO.

After fully using the last afternoon doing some last minute shopping at West Oaks Mall on SR50, and then a quick jaunt down I Drive (which was a mistake due to a convention being on) we took the car back to Dollar at MCO with no petrol (7 miles left in the tank) for just after 5pm. We then took our hand luggage and walked straight up to security lines for the gates. It has been reported before but is worth saying again, there is no priority line for VS UCS passengers for security. The security official was ridiculously slow and spending 5 minutes (no exageration) talking to each child that was going through the metal detector and MCO is full of KIDS! It took us nearly 25 minutes to clear security and there were only a handful of people in front of us.

The metal detectors are turned way up on the sensitiviy (as I guess they are at most other US aiports) to the point of 'pinging' as Mrs B was passing through as she had a bangle and a watch on her wrist which was 'one item too many' The bangle was removed and scanned and she passed through 'ping' free. I passed through without problem, although my shorts were nearly on the floor as belt etc had gone through the scanner nearly 15 minutes ago!

Took the monorail across to the gate area and had a quick look around the greatly reduced Duty Free shop, which is undergoing major renovation, before making our way to the Delta Crown Lounge. On the way to the lounge a group of 4 people were making a beeline to cross my path so I adjusted my course and the 4 people, who were not paying attention, stopped right in front of me. I managed to swerve round them but my wheeled handluggage caught one of their legs at which point they absolutely laid into me with Verbal abuse! Just what I needed from 4 imbiciles that weren't paying attention. I was glad to finally get into the lounge.

We were checked into the lounge and I asked about Wireless and was told where the best places to sit (apparently it doesn't cover the entire lounge). We settled into our seats, got some drinks and I set up the PC and connected to the free wireless service (which was ammazingly fast, but they may have been due to me experience slow sat links for a week).

Time soon passed and then the priority boarding annoucement came. I packed up all of my stuff and we walked the short distance to Gate 83 where English Rose was waiting for us (The same aircraft as our outbound flight). There was the usual large queue and 1 person being checked in with a buggy. Just as we got to the priority boarding sign the ground staff opened the tensabarrier and a queue of 50 or so people started to be checked in. I asked the ground staff if this was the proirity queue and was told they were only boarding UC at this time. I said to the ground staff that there were only 14 UC seats and he told me to wait until I was called for boarding. This really wound me up. I don't 'dress the part' for my flights and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt but this guy made an assumption that I wasn't an UC passenger. Anyway, I joined the back of the 50 or so people queing for UC! and the line quickly boarded. Funnily enough most of the 50 or so people turned right on entering the aircraft.

Anyway we took our seats 8 and 9A as someone had 'knicked' our usual favourites (6A & K) and got talking to the family in 6,7 & 8k. We had a laugh about them 'knicking' one of our seats. We chatted briefly about the different seat layouts and I asked if they had seen v-flyer. They hadn't so I gave the address so we may have another member(s) soon. Forgot to actually find out their names.. oops, better try harder next time I am on the recruiting kick! Looking at the time we still had at least 30 minutes before push back which gave more than enough time for the cabin crew to give out the sleep suits, menu, ammenity kit (boring!) and several glasses of the bubbly stuff.

Push back was about on time, expected flight time was 7 hours 55 minutes which is quiet a long flight for the eastbound leg of this journey. We took off without much of a wait on the one of the Southerly runways before a hard left turn out to sea. The MAP was switched on from pushback and left on throughout the takeoff and climb until being turned off when the seatbelt signs were switched off after about 10 minutes and I then took the opportunity to change into my Ninja Suit. The cabin crew then came round to take food and drink orders. As I was still on the full side from the large lunch at celebration I just opted for another glass of bubbly and waiting for the IFE to start. I only wanted to see one film (The Island) and the sooner it started, the sooner it would finish and I could get my head down. It must have taken nearly an hour from takeoff until the films started. I settled into the film and about an hour into it most other UC pax had converted their seats to beds and had bedded down. As soon as the film had finished (which is well worth watching for those who haven't seen it) I had my seat converted to a bed and bedded down. I had been asleep about an hour when the bumping started. I managed to sleap through on an off for the next 30 minutes but the the really rough stuff started. I was then stuck in my 'bed' as I was unable to convert back to seat for the next few hours.

Belt signs finally came off about an hour before landing and the breakfast was served in a rush. I had a cup of tea and a bacon sandwhich (My fav VS 'meal') and my 'pre-order' was delivered. If you remember from my outbound TR i ordered the Birthday Girl model. What I was delivered was a blue-tooth headset! The error was quickly rectified, apparently there was another passenger onboard with the same surname! Obvioulsy thought he had a freebie! As I new it was going to be cold on arrival I took the chance to slip into my jeans, although I kept my Ninja Suit top on.

After a fairly good landing it was straight up to gate 31 before off loading (behind PE and the econ sub-cabin) and through to a fairly empty immigration. After this we had approximately a 15 minute wait for a baggage belt to be assigned. By the time the belt was assigned most of the pax has deplanned and been checked through immigration. What seemed to be about a hundred cases came off before I clapped eyes on ours (I wonder if we loose priority baggage by checking in at Downtown Disney?). It was then a quick stroll through arrivals and to meet our chaufeur for our trip home and it was home around midday.

All in all a few minor irritations but still the best way to travel between MCO and LGW.

Paul

(edited to resolve format problems)
#330298 by buns
29 Jan 2006, 22:58
Paul

Thanks for the TR[y]

Took the monorail across to the gate area and had a quick look around the greatly reduced Duty Free shop, which is undergoing major renovation,

That's a useful reminder for those thinking of stocking up at MCO - I forgot to mention it in my last TR[:I][:I]

I too like the bacon roll - it just makes you realise you are back home[;)]
#330299 by Nottingham Nick
29 Jan 2006, 23:04
Thanks for the comprehensive report, Paul.

I can't remember from your previous TR, but was there a reason you flew back from MCO, I would have thought MIA would have been a better option.
I know it takes you into LHR, but you would have probably had V-Port etc.

Nick
#330340 by jilly
30 Jan 2006, 03:12
Great TR Paul.

Thanks for the heads up on the duty free I will bear this in mind and make sure I spend plenty before I get there. You must have passed me near security I was stood waiting there from 4.50 until 5.10 when my husband arrived on your flight home.

Do you remember the menu choices for the return? I usually don't eat at all that day until I get on the flight. Would like to think it is going to be better than the outward journey.

Jilly
#330483 by p17blo
30 Jan 2006, 18:17
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
I can't remember from your previous TR, but was there a reason you flew back from MCO, I would have thought MIA would have been a better option.

Nick, the MIA option would have been perfect for me and as I had the transfers booked I could easily have been collected from LHR. When I booked the flights the plan was to spend 10 day in Orlando, but after having the cruise cancelled in September they 'gave' us this cruise which fitted perfectly with our flights. Problem was cruise was from FLL.

I did try on several occasions to persuade VS to let me swap flights including a call on the Saturday morning, but they told me the MIA flight was full.

Jilly, I guess I must have walked right past you, but I wouldn't have known who you where! I did have my V-Flyer pin on, did you not spot me[;)]. The UC menu mysteriously made it's way into my bag, so when I get home I can tell you exactly what was on the menu.

Paul
#330510 by Richard28
30 Jan 2006, 19:47
thanks for the TR Paul!

The film tip is also gratefully received!
#330513 by p17blo
30 Jan 2006, 19:58
OK Freedom Menu MCO-LGW 28/1/06

Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with sliced beef, teardrop tomatoes, fennel and Dijon dressing
Herb marinated Mozzarella, Parma ham & mini toast served with fig and mustard compote

Main Courses
Baked cod fillet served with potato wedges, sauteed broccoli and tomato sauce
Sauteed chicken breast served with Savoyarde potatoes, asparagus and tarragon cream sauce

Cheese
Camembert
Gogonzola
Double Diamond Irish style Darby cheese

Cheeses are offered with assorted organic crackers and grapes

Dessert
Chocolate pyramid with raspberry coulis and fresh berries
Vanilla ice cream on its own or served with strawberry, black pepper & mint compote and chocolate fingers

Breakfast
Selection of breakfast cereals - Cornflakes, Weetabix, Fruit n Fibre, Special K
Cranberry & walnut pound cake
Blueberry muffins and butter croissants served with a selection of preserves
Melon medley served on its own or with natural yoghurt
Bacon roll served with either tomato ketchup or brown sauce
Smoked salmon frittata served with seared bacon, chicken & scallion sausage and mushroom ragout

Thats the lot!

Paul
Virgin Atlantic