Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240323 by ChuckC
30 Jan 2006, 04:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After three days of non-stop festivities with all manner of V-Flyers and wannabee V-Flyers (yes, there are a few of them lurking hither and yon) in merry old London, it was all too soon time to embark on the homeward leg of my little odyssey.

Sunday morning arrived, predictably though irritatingly so, quite early, it seemed, but there was my earnest friend Buns4vs, as promised, to whisk me from my hotel at Heathrow the short distance to T-3. Bidding thanks to Buns I quickly entered T-3 and managed UC check-in in short order, including a quick walk through Fast Track departures, a real bonus for VS' UC flyers. Heading straight for the CH and my pre-booked 'Rhinestone Cowboy' massage and shave, I was quite stunned to see the revised approach to the CH (Bazz had provided pictures earlier but alas, pictures can only tell part of the story). Arrival in the new CH, as one sweeps up those elegant stairs, is overwhelming in a wonderfully anticipatory sense that recalls the gilded age of travel when even short journeys once provoked wonderment and childlike excitement. I confess to being a bit misty-eyed when I saw all that Virgin has wrought with this superior new facility and an entranceway truly fit for kings and queens.

Shortly after being greeted and shown around by a lovely VS staffer I took a seat and none too soon, as fellow 'American in London' mcmbenjamin quickly appeared and bounded down the stairs to flop out of breath into the chair next to me. He and I had arranged to meet in the CH prior to our return flights; for the next two hours we enjoyed full English brekkies and a delightful drink known as Baileys & coffee (apologies to some who I know to be offended by such a 'wimpy' concoction), swapping stories over some of our shared experiences while in London for this long weekend.

All too soon it was time to say goodbye to mcmbenjamin and I began the 'trek up Everest' out to gate 42, the farthest outpost of the British Empire, where G-VSSH, Sweet Dreamer, an A340-600, awaited. The silver bird was beautifully clean and well appointed and the welcome from the cabin attendants was swift and genuine. After taking my seat in UCS, 3K (I'd recommend it!), and ordering a sparkling water, the IFBT came around to introduce herself and provide an amenity kit.

Taxi out began at 1141; as we glided by, I noted other famed VS aircraft resting at their stands, including Ruby Tuesday, my inbound aircraft. We were quietly airborne at 1204. Yes, what a quiet airplane the A346 is, I must say. And for those who've yet to fly Upper, I can say unequivocally that the UC experience on the A346 is very nice indeed.

Lunch was quickly brought around. To begin, I ordered the appetizer of leafy salad with chicken and tomatoes (chicken was a bit dry -- alright, a lot dry). In honor of a certain fellow V-Flyer I chose the vegetarian entree option, a vegetable and ricotta mixture that ladled into a pastry shell -- this turned out to be hot and very tasty. The task of washing down the meal fell to a respectable white Burgundy whose lineage may well have been royal, as the taste and 'mouth feel' were excellent. One of the FAs tried to add Pinot Grigio to my glass at one point, and the resulting combination was a cross between turpentine and 'Evening in Paris' parfum -- not good.
No matter, I got rid of the taste with three scoops of vanilla ice cream, once and always my favorite dessert ('cept perhaps for a bit of pie, on occasion).

VS' 346 fleet is V-Port equipped and I was ready to enjoy this system. After lunch I watched the first hour of 'War of the Worlds', if only to once again see my little hometown of Athens, New York appear in one of the film's important scenes, and to see the cherubic faces of my three greatnephews, hired as extras in the film. After the boys' faces passed on screen I moved my V-Port clicker to 'UK Comedy' and spent the next two hours absolutely in stiches with the gang from 'Little Britain'. Oh my goodness.

Wanting to prolong my UCS experience I asked that my seat be made up into a bed (in fact, most of the UCS pax were in this mode after lunch) and I went quickly off to sleep for about two hours. After waking I enjoyed the 'afternoon tea' service, selecting several excellent sandwiches and VS' reknown cheese plate (well, perhaps it's not reknown, but it is quite good). Very soon thereafter the IFBT beckoned and I pattered along behind to her station (on the A346 it is adjacent to door L-1: port side, forward) for a refreshing neck and shoulder massage. Having already enjoyed a treatment in the CH I was a little surprised to be selected for a second go 'round, but didn't want to appear rude certainly, and so I submitted to the kneading and prodding.

After leaving the IFBT station I glanced at my watch -- only two hours left? Where had the time gone? I'd so much left to do: view two more episodes of 'Little Britain' (my sides ached from my convulsing); reorganize carry-on (forget it, I thought; I'm heading home); check progress of trip on I-Map (ah, we were over Salt Lake City).

And then, before I knew it, our female captain was reassuringly describing our pending arrival at LAX and we touched down at approximately 1428, about thirty minutes early.

This was a weekend I'd long wanted. Nothing, not one moment disappointed, and the people of Virgin Atlantic made the trip all that much more worthwhile.

Chuck-
#330346 by Littlejohn
30 Jan 2006, 07:20
Glad you got home safe and sound, and in good comfort. And yes, I think I speak for most good pax here when I say Baileys and coffee is indeed a softie's drink.
#330370 by mitchja
30 Jan 2006, 10:49
Excellent TR thanks Chuck [y]

It was great to met you and I'm glad you had a great flight home [:)]

Regards
#330376 by HighFlyer
30 Jan 2006, 10:59
Glad you had a good flight home Chuck.

Im with you on the Coffee and Baileys though (Jeremy just doesnt know what he's missing out on!)
#330378 by Decker
30 Jan 2006, 11:01
and many thanks for tolerating my language based rambles! Nice to finally meet you and glad to hear you had such a pleasant trip home!
#330395 by mdvipond
30 Jan 2006, 12:21
Thanks for the trip report, Chuck. We'll be doing the self same route in 200 and something days (see below for more accurate estimate).

I'm afraid I also need to add my condemnation of the Baileys and coffee combo. A tad too girly I'm afraid. My tip would be to enliven your Baileys with a large Irish Whiskey instead - goes down a treat.
#330396 by fozzyo
30 Jan 2006, 12:32
Great TR, and great to meet you at last. Hopefully we'll come over to see you before too long.

Mat xxx
#330399 by Richard28
30 Jan 2006, 12:35
Great TR Chuck, glad you had a good flight back.

Was good to see you at the social!

I've also bagged 3K on the A346 for my flight 'home' - glad it has had another good review.
#330544 by buns
30 Jan 2006, 21:23
Chuck

Thank you for such an eloquent TR[y][y][y]
Arrival in the new CH, as one sweeps up those elegant stairs, is overwhelming in a wonderfully anticipatory sense that recalls the gilded age of travel when even short journeys once provoked wonderment and childlike excitement.

That captures precisely why I contine to enjoy flying VS.

I was glad to read that the whole UC experience (less the laboratory wine experiment[:$]) met your expectations.

Look forward to seeing you again
#330552 by mike-smashing
30 Jan 2006, 22:07
Thanks for the TR. You're right about how VS try to make flying still feel special rather than mundane!

Interesting to read about your wine mixup, I had the same thing happen to me on the VS7 a while ago!

Good to see you last weekend!

Cheers,
Mike
#330571 by honey lamb
30 Jan 2006, 23:13
Gosh, Chuck, you got quite poetic at the beginning of your TR.

Glad you enjoyed the trip but I'm only sorry I wasn't able to make it. Perhaps in the future
#330690 by Mavrick
31 Jan 2006, 13:01
Good T.R.[y] Chuck glad you had a good weekend in the U.K.[:D]
#330721 by ChuckC
31 Jan 2006, 14:15
Thanks one and all. The main point I wanted to take the lead in my TR was that VS created and still maintains the ability to perform superbly, with little or no flaws or flubs noticeable to its passengers. Mind you, I have been known to possess a critical perspective and to display a rather frumpish 'I'd like mine now, please' impatience. But ... what makes all that go away and leaves me feeling quite special indeed is when I see everyone being treated in a way that one would treat a guest in one's home (a welcome guest, that is!). That's the VS edge.

Best regards,
Chuck
#330765 by shazam
31 Jan 2006, 15:24
Thanks Chuck, glad you enjoyed your trip. Sorry we missed you, hopefully see you in a couple of weeks.

Shaz
#330801 by Bazz
31 Jan 2006, 16:30
Thanks for the expressive TR Chuck, you are always a pleasure to read. Perhaps the FA had heard of your Baileys concoction and thought you liked mixing your drinks? [;)]

We are glad you arrived home safely (and early!) and enjoyed meeting up with you again at the London bash, hopefully it won't be too long till the next time (Boat Trip?). Birkin says to say Hi.
Virgin Atlantic