Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240883 by Nottingham Nick
19 Feb 2006, 23:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This trip report is quite long and is very self serving. This isnt the arena for which it is written, so I apologise in advance for its length and rambling nature. We don't get many Y TRs here, so I thought I would share it. :-

We stayed the night before the flight at the Slough / Windsor Marriott, which was functional but nothing to write home about. We got the Hotel Hoppa at 7.30am. It is a cold, crisp morning with a fair amount of frost on the ground. We fairly sped to the airport, but as soon as we left the A4, the traffic snarled up. Ah, the joy of travelling at half term!!

We crawled along the airport perimeter road and through the tunnel, then went very slowly round terminals 1 and 2, it was even busier at T3, so the driver very cleverly took and short cut and dropped us at the pick up point. This meant a slightly longer walk, but no doubt saved a fair bit of time.

The premium economy check-in was very quiet and we only had to wait a couple of minutes, despite this two people approached us and attempted to sell us upgrades for the bargain price of 319 - 369 each to PE (depending on the booking class of ticket we held). Both of the people had quite a hard sell attitude and appeared surprised when we didnt choose to snap up the bargain. The lady assured me that the normal price of a one way upgrade to premium economy was 1000!!! I am no expert on consumer law, but would suspect a few are being broken here.

We made our way through the very busy, and slow moving security check laptops now have to be out of the bags, which is new. We made our way to the sanctuary of the Virgin Clubhouse. It was a nice feeling to get out of the hubbub, especially as there were only about ten other people dotted around the place when we arrived. We sat down, and the first person we saw was SRB, who was about to go for a Cowshed treatment. As soon as we were seated we were approached to order food and drink. Christopher and I ordered full English and Sue had salmon with cream cheese on a bagel. I then went at booked Sue in for a massage and Christopher in for a hair cut.

We helped ourselves to some fruit salads while we drank coffee and waited for the hot food. The internet connection on the computer terminals in the Clubhouse is so slow that, I booked an hours internet access on T-Mobile and caught up on V-Flyer. The food was very nice and the very helpful staff kept my coffee topped up whilst I surfed the net.

Sue and Christopher went off for their treatments and I continued to read V-Flyer. When they got back I went to have a chat with SRB, who was sitting on his own reading the FT and watching Sky News. He told me he is on his way to SFO, I gave him a V-Flyer card and left him in peace. Whilst were in, the Clubhouse filled up a lot and soon there werent too many spare seats. The waitress said that the other half is due to open towards the end of next month.

As usual, the time passed very quickly and we were soon making our way on the very short walk to Gate 23, which is the one that the CH overlooks. Waiting for us there was Mustang Sally, which means that we have V-Port, which is good news for all of us, as there are several films we want to watch. There was a bit of a queue at the gate and then all three of us were asked to go for security screening, which is a bit of a joke really, but I wont get on my soapbox.

In the holding area I saw a lad who I knew from work. He and his wife have booked a last minute cruise and are on their way to Miami for seven nights of Caribbean Island hopping. We were due to take off at 11.15am, but the plane was apparently late in, so boarding was delayed until about 11.10am. The plane is about full and we made our way on board to seats 44 H J & K, just behind the wing. We pushed back at 11.35am and the Captain introduced his flight deck crew, he told us flying time would be 8 hours and 50 minutes and we would be heading straight along the south coast, over Lands End, across the Atlantic over Bermuda, and into Miami. I don't know if it is me getting old, but the PA on VS flights seems to get quieter and is very difficult to hear sometimes.

We had quite a long wait but, eventually were wheels up at 11.55am. It is a sunny day, with a little scattered cloud, we did see Windsor Castle and Legoland before losing the view of the ground. We got occasional glimpses as the cloud broke, but for the most part of the early journey we didnt see much.

The flight passed quickly, considering we are down the back- thanks to V-Port. I watched Four Brothers, The March of the Penguins, During the first film, we had a drinks service,followed by the meal. The choice was roast chicken, sausage and mash or a veggie pasta . We all plumped for the chicken, but they had run out!!! So we all had the sausage, which was served with cheesy mashed potato and red cabbage. It wasnt great, but it will keep us going and was served with some delicious, but very unhealthy, profiteroles.

We continued to read and view, I watched a bit of the Simpsons, played a bit of Tetris and then watched a film about football called Goal with Anna Friel it is a feel-good film about a Mexican lad who comes to Newcastle United for a trial and has lots of footballers in cameo roles. It was unashamedly cheesy, and I am quite red faced to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was another drinks service (juice / water) then and ice cream.

A bit more TV, a few more games and a tea of egg and tomato sandwich and a bag of fruit. The other sandwich was chicken and cucumber and we did get the choice this time. Great views of the South East Florida coastline and downtown Fort Lauderdale and Miami, as we circled over the city and landed from the west, very smoothly, at 3.45pm. The Captain had made up all of the lost time, and a bit more. A nice touch after landing was a reading of the afternoons FA Cup scores, the matches had been played while we were in the air.

The temperature on Miami was 80 degrees when we landed, but I think it notched up a couple of degrees when we got off the plane. First of all they wouldnt let us into the Immigration Hall, we were kept in a holding area. When they did let us in it was packed, with massive queues at every desk. We got in a queue, and estimated that it would be well over and hour before we got to the front. It was chaos. They then announced that non US citizens could use some of the US citizens desks, so we managed to slide over, and got quite an advantage. Despite this, by the time we got through all of the cases from our plane had been taken of the belt an put on the floor at the side of the carousel.

All in all, a very good flight. I believe that the secret to flying in Y is your mindset. Yes, it is boring but there are a lot worse places you could be.

Nick
#335485 by honey lamb
19 Feb 2006, 23:30
Thanks for the TR and please don't apologise for the length. I loooove long TRs.

Nice touch giving SRB a V-Flyer card [y]
#335486 by HighFlyer
19 Feb 2006, 23:31
Thanks for a fantastic TR Nick, a cracking read!

Also good to read not only a detailed trip report in Economy, but a positive one too!

Thanks for sharing the journey with us [:)]
#335487 by AndyK
19 Feb 2006, 23:42
Nice to see an econonmy TR. Nice work sir.
#335488 by Mavrick
19 Feb 2006, 23:46
Cool T.R. Nick, [y] Hope you enjoy your break in my home state looking forward to the return leg. [:D]
#335496 by karnsculpture
20 Feb 2006, 01:32
Thankyou so much for this TR. I have been reading a lot of very negative reports on other sites about the Y class service and had been starting to worry about my forthcoming journey. It was good to read a positive review.

I'm not too worried about being hemmed into an economy seat - it gives me a feeling of greater security during turbulence. Am I wierd for thinking that? [:I]

TTFN

Paul
#335497 by mcmbenjamin
20 Feb 2006, 03:20
Great TR. Maybe SRB will join VF and come to a social event (with HL).

Have a great trip :)
#335513 by Wolves27
20 Feb 2006, 09:06
Great TR Nick.
Good meeting SRB in there, think I would have been too nervous to say hello. Cool giving him a card though!!

Dean
#335519 by MarkJ
20 Feb 2006, 09:24
Great TR - I am off to Miami in 3 weeks - have a transfer to do so a bit worried about the flipping Immigration queue - fingers crosssed for that one!!!

Wonder if SRB comes on here for a nose round - if it was my business I would welcome the feedback and ideas that this site would give me - customer feedback is the driver to any business!!!
#335522 by iforres1
20 Feb 2006, 09:42
Thanks for the Y TR Nick,

Good catch as well meeting SRB and giving him a card. Last time I spoke to him he was certainly aware of the site.

Enjoy the hols

Iain
#335541 by mitchja
20 Feb 2006, 10:51
Good TR, thanks Nick [:)]

Oh the joys of V:Port!!!!!! Glad I'll be getting V:Port for my Y flights to HKG/SYD in June [oo]

Regards
#335727 by ChuckC
20 Feb 2006, 22:48
Nick,

Thanks so much for the excellent TR, and for keeping your V-Flyer 'family' updated on your travels. Although this flight was not nearly the 'party plane' of last November's trip back from the
V-Flyer Vegas Social, you seem like you had enough to keep you busy. Nonetheless I imagine that you missed having our very own 'singing waiter' MCuth onboard to serenade your family and you![:p]

What a thrill it must have been to meet SRB, and to have been able to take two seconds to at least share the V-Flyer card with him was brilliant on your part.

I know you've been quite busy at work; so, here's hoping your holiday is outstanding and that the Florida sunshine is warm.

Regards to all.

Chuck-
#336080 by adamjswift
21 Feb 2006, 23:58
Originally posted by mitchja

Oh the joys of V:Port!!!!!! Glad I'll be getting V:Port for my Y flights to HKG/SYD in June [oo]

Regards

When are you travelling on VS200??
I am travelling LHR/HKG 12th June
HKG/SYD on the 16th???
#336133 by locutus
22 Feb 2006, 06:48
Originally posted by adamjswift
Originally posted by mitchja

Regards

When are you travelling on VS200??
I am travelling LHR/HKG 12th June
HKG/SYD on the 16th???

If you hover over the plane icon under the screen name, on the left hand side of the screen, you'll see their upcoming flights [:)]
#336944 by buns
26 Feb 2006, 12:28
Nick

Thanks for an excellent TR[y][y] As always, you provide the detail many fellow V-flyers are seeking when they come to the site.

The temperature on Miami was 80 degrees when we landed, but I think it notched up a couple of degrees when we got off the plane. First of all they wouldn't let us into the Immigration Hall, we were kept in a holding area. When they did let us in Ð it was packed, with massive queues at every desk. We got in a queue, and estimated that it would be well over and hour before we got to the front. It was chaos. They then announced that non US citizens could use some of the US citizens desks, so we managed to slide over, and got quite an advantage. Despite this, by the time we got through all of the cases from our plane had been taken of the belt an put on the floor at the side of the carousel.

This is useful information - whilst many will not be able to beat the queues, at least one can be prepared for this sort of thing[ii][ii]

Like Chuck, I sincerely hope that the Miami area provided the rest you needed[;)]

buns
Virgin Atlantic