Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241086 by roadrunner
27 Feb 2006, 21:42
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Another wild drive to Logan, 60-70 mph gusts as a band of high velocity storms moved from Canada down the coast. Fallen power lines made our transit through city streets rather random and slow and we were very glad to finally reach TE, which now allows departures to unload directly from second tier entrance.

Were carefully screened and stamped prior to approaching PE line (somehow we are always queried about whether we are in the correct line--I suppose we have a Y look about us?) and were 'line jumped' by an anxious woman with a lot of luggage as well as by two athletic young women with their eyes on an upgrade. Having checked Expert Flyer, I knew the flight was probably oversold, with just two seats in J. As we had K tickets, purchased quite cheaply, I held out little hope and watched the first two sets check in and walk off, trying to determine how pleased they looked.

When a gent roared into the UC purchase line, he was called before us and I idly wondered what HIS ticket must cost as he sorted out cards, passport and seat selection. This was time consuming so I busied myself wondering how the chaperones of the scores of giddy returning half term students were holding up as their charges pawed through GAP, Abercrombie and Victoria Secret purchases which would not apparently fit into their enormous hard shell valises.

When finally called up, the agent was still on the phone arranging the gent's ticket and half heartedly took our passports, FC cards and e-ticket. I asked if there was any availability for seats 70 (bubble bulkhead) and thought perhaps he hadn't heard as he was cradling the phone between shoulder and ear. So it was with some
amazement when he put the phone down, gave us a slow smile and said those wonderful words...'I have a little surprise for you' which I knew meant-- upgrade. Asking us if we would be willing to do without dinner (snooze zone) we were allocated seats 2 and 3K, and our bags were checked through to EDI on BMI despite BMI's assurance that they no longer accept this on bookings made separately.

Dinner at the bar at Dine Boston (one of us needed to see the football match)--do not recommend full belly fried clams prior to a longhaul flight--and fast pass through security. Not having lounge passes (but not much thrilled with NW lounge anyway) grabbed a couple of rocking chairs in front of the window and watched the wind hurtle through the small bay. What a life. Thought about sleeping for next six hours in comfortable bed.

Called to board with dedicated UC line, served champagne immediately, as well as given night suits and caught a glimpse of the two people who were sat in our former PE seats, hoping they had been upgraded as well, and not begrudging them our meal.

Announcement made of a passenger with severe peanut allergy and I thought about the cashews in my backpack. FA told me not to worry as the passenger 'was not on this deck' which I took to mean it was one of the school children down in the hold. One of the men (they were ALL men) in our part of the bubble said that it was odd, the same announcement was made when he flew over two days earlier. The men in our cabin were already talking about commandeering the bar. IFBT offered massage and I rashly asked to be woken but later recanted and asked the FA to let her know.

We were still on hold for flight as winds buffeted the plane (747--not sure which one as couldn't catch a glimpse in the dark) making it feel very much like a ship on the high seas as we pitched from side to side, still on solid ground.
Finally cleared for lift off with short hop to sharp climb and well away for what the captain told us would be 5.5 hour flight 'with strong tail winds'!

Opted to visit the bar while still lively but not until after the group upstairs were already sat. FA looked at we newer arrivals and said max is 6, one of you must leave. None of those present shifted so my partner took a scotch and exited and I stayed. The FSM talked about the horrors of getting the Lagos run a, short layovers and the cost of refits (not much different from what the american defense department claims it costs to refit a fighter jet).

FA asked if any of us wanted a cold platter but thought not due to continued presence of fried clams. Three of those present were VS enthusiasts but the other two were solidly BA. One told me it wasn't so much the airline as SRB himself he couldn't stand but also said he preferred the privacy of the BA seat set up. The FSM said that the upstairs UC pass were 'solid gold' an unusual event (wonder how that could have been as we are only silver?). FSM also assured those of us at the bar that the bubble UC beds are longer than downstairs but just as wide, although visually it looks tight. I found it almost impossible to look out the window unless prone in bed. Finished my glass and went up to beautifully made bed and slept until woken for arrival.

Landed after little circling at 6;20 am as Captain announced they had found a berth for us. Disembarcation was a scrum as all classes let loose at same time. Berth was so distant from connections that my partner noted perhaps we had actually landed at Gatwick and were walking to Heathrow.

Note: should have gone through immigration at T3 and picked up bags and walked as busses to T1 had very long lines, then again through security, Fast Track slower than reg line (although no one collected passes). EU line passed though immigration quickly but all others closely scrutinized as later realized that the airport operation to catch young women brought unknowingly for prostitution purposes were being targetted. This really took a long time as each single woman was stopped and sorted while the rest of the line waited, rather than passed off to a special agent.

Made it in good time to EDI flight (where BMI told us to 'keep matches on our person, not in our hand baggage' and continued their tight hold on even a glass of water unless at cost). Three young men who may have had a long night, were in some doubt about where they were going as we boarded and had a very funny mobile conversation with each other as they were each about 10 pax apart in line--until they finally realized they could switch off and just yell--and that no, this was not the Glasgow flight.

All in all, a lovely flight (again) and I didn't break nor spill anything, a personal first.

[:D] RR
#337188 by VS045
27 Feb 2006, 21:59
Great TR![y]

BTW, well done on the upgrade[;)]

There has been some debate about the size of the suites on the upper deck - maybe you could shed some light?

Cheers,
VS045
#337189 by MarkJ
27 Feb 2006, 22:02
Always great whenh you get an Op Up - especially on the way back from the States or the Caribbean - it just really round sof a great holiday doesnt it.

Good TR too!!!
#337190 by GatorBaiter
27 Feb 2006, 22:04
GAP, Abercrombie and Victoria Secret purchases

[:I] A few of my favourite haunts [:I]

Great TR and well done on the op up!

Jacq
#337212 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2006, 00:39
Note: should have gone through immigration at T3 and picked up bags and walked as busses to T1 had very long lines, then again through security,

We found that too, when coming from IAD last November. The lines waiting for the bus were horrendous and when we arrived at the FCC we had to queue at the bottom of the escalator as well. [:(!]

Congrats on the op-up! [y]
Virgin Atlantic